PDA

View Full Version : Grip reductions: are they worth it?

Hammer27
03-03-14, 17:57
I'm a long time reader, but I post very little. Just had a thought I'd like the crew here to maybe weigh in on.

Is it really advantageous to do a grip reduction, finger groove removal etc. on your Glock, M&P etc?

I acknowledge that such modifications may help the shooter on that particular pistol I tend to think at times that it brings the disadvantage of putting valuable repetitions and training into a weapon that effectively has become one of a kind (or at least extremely rare). If I'm carrying an issued handgun do I really want to modify my personal one to make it significantly dissimilar?
Personally, I shoot long guns left handed for the most part (notable exceptions being belt fed weapon systems). I never put any kind of lefty only modifications on an AR and I cringe when I see them. "What are you going to do when you're carrying an issued rifle/when you have to pick up another person's rifle?" always runs through my head.

Bottom line: is the juice worth the squeeze? Do the modifications' value outweigh the potential drawbacks that may be presented when handling a stock weapon?

YVK
03-03-14, 19:02
It ain't a big deal one way or another. I didn't have much problems switching between stock and reduced Glocks. I don't think grip redux is that beneficial, outside of people with very small hands. I think that other mods that are often done within a context of grip reduction - stippling, trigger undercut, speed chute magwells - make more impact than the reduction itself.

PatrioticDisorder
03-03-14, 19:13
Have my M&Ps stippled & undercut... And I still shoot stock Glocks better and the Glocks feel like schit I'm my hands. IMO, M&Ps could proally use some stippling, but Gen4 Glocks are good as is. They still don't feel good in my hand or point naturally for me, but I shoot them great and the Gen4 texturing is fine. Just my two cents. Ymmv.

walkin' trails
03-03-14, 19:18
I can't see that it would be a major problem either. I carry two different semi auto brands daily (M&P &Glock) and haven't perceived any transition differences. There may be those who might detect the difference and that could affect them adversely. Try likening it to having both a 2nd and 3rd gen Glock.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Surf
03-03-14, 21:02
I definitely think that this can be subjective from shooter to shooter, but there can be some definite advantages for those who have hand sizes that don't fit the ergonomics of the stock pistol. Example those with small hands or short trigger reaches, or those perhaps with very large hands or fingers that do not fit well in the defined finger grooves. I shoot out of the box stock Gen4's and my own pistols which are modified to my liking. I can shoot anything well, but I do have a preference. As far as I am concerned, the comfort levels, ergonomics and grip traction are definitely an improvement and worth my effort as I do my own customization and fitment work. I will also note that I do have an issue with my index finger in that it has a permanent growth from the M4 / Glock and the finger / joint is now arthritic. The "Glock knucle" is very real for me and relieving the trigger guard on the Glock does wonders to help alleviate this.

jpgm
03-03-14, 21:14
Hammer27
I have small hands. I am not authorized to modify my G22 duty pistol. The only authorized modification is grip tape. I use aggressive tread tape from Lowes with great success. No lack of grip with the southern heat and humidity induced sweat.

jpgm

okie john
03-03-14, 22:50
I definitely think that this can be subjective from shooter to shooter, but there can be some definite advantages for those who have hand sizes that don't fit the ergonomics of the stock pistol. Example those with small hands or short trigger reaches, or those perhaps with very large hands or fingers that do not fit well in the defined finger grooves. I shoot out of the box stock Gen4's and my own pistols which are modified to my liking. I can shoot anything well, but I do have a preference. As far as I am concerned, the comfort levels, ergonomics and grip traction are definitely an improvement and worth my effort as I do my own customization and fitment work. I will also note that I do have an issue with my index finger in that it has a permanent growth from the M4 / Glock and the finger / joint is now arthritic. The "Glock knucle" is very real for me and relieving the trigger guard on the Glock does wonders to help alleviate this.

This.

If you don't need to have a pistol reduced or otherwise modified to fit into your tiny hands, then don't do it. Spending that money on ammo/training/range time is a better investment.

Knocking off the finger grooves and making the mods that Surf mentioned is another story for a lot of people.

I've had a reduced G19 and a reduced G23. I get a very slight decrease in splits with a reduction--about the same reduction I get by adding a GFA. Both the reduction and the GFA make the front strap and back strap parallel, and I think that's where I get the advantage.

Okie John

Adam_s
03-04-14, 08:13
The best advice I can give is to lay hands on someone else's reduced pistol before having it done to yours.

Personally speaking, I've got small hands. After some experimentation, I settled on the fact that I just shoot a reduced and stippled Glocks better than factory stock ones. As with many modifications, this is very much a personal thing.

Watrdawg
03-04-14, 09:20
I've got pretty small hands also. I wear a size small glove. I shoot both my Gen4 19 and M&P45 Mid stock. Only thing I do is stipple them myself. I've held a G17 with a grip reduction job done to it and didn't like the feel of it. So, personally it would be a waste of money.

samuse
03-04-14, 09:34
I make sure that I never have to use anyone else's junk.

All my firearms are built just how I like 'em and they work well.

mike56
03-04-14, 15:39
I had a glock 26 reduced by Cold Bore. Great work, and I think it made a big improvement for me.
It did not seem to detract from the value at all on re sale.

oilspill
03-04-14, 18:05
I had a 3rd gen G19 grip reduction/texturing/finger groove removal done by Cold Bore - only had it out once since getting it done but so far I really like it. Well worth the $ to me, might send my 2nd gen for a reduction when Lane is accepting new work.

DIRTMAN556
03-04-14, 23:55
Try if at all possible to get your hands on a reduced glock. See how it feels. The first thing I did when I got my 19 was dremel out the finger grooves and stipple them. I hate finger grooves.

My buddy sent as far as taking a blow torch to heat his grip while he rolled it to remove the hump on the rear of his 17.

l8apex
03-05-14, 11:43
The "Glock knucle" is very real for me and relieving the trigger guard on the Glock does wonders to help alleviate this.

This, I've also grown the Glock knuckle over the years and Cold Bore Customer has helped. Will send more when he is ready to receive work.

SteveS
03-08-14, 20:08
I usually don't toy with my firearms. If I don't like them I don't buy them.

themonk
03-08-14, 20:32
I daily carry a GLOCK 19 with a grip sculpted to me with an RMR milled into the slide. I see it as a tactical advantage but have no issue picking up any GLOCk 19 gen 3 or gen 4 and getting great results. I would recommend anyone that wants to go down this road to become extremely familiar with the stock firearm before tailoring to you. I agree with the previous post that if you don't like the original gun don't buy it. If you love it, know it intimately and if you want to make it better so you have a tactical advantage - go for it.

Surf
03-09-14, 00:04
I think most Glock enthusiasts like the Glock pistol the way it comes from the manufacturer, but that does not mean that it can't be easily improved upon. If we didn't like it we wouldn't be purchasing it. Instead we choose to fine tune or customize its fitment. I find it absolutely contradictory to say that say if you don't like it, or if you don't like the original gun don't buy it. We like our AR's but they are about THE most modular or customizable weapon with a huge array of aftermarket accessories on the market today and we fine tune it to our likes. Whats the hang up here when we apply that to the Glock pistol? Or a custom 1911 for that matter? Where's the issue? Sounds like neanderthal hate.

I usually don't toy with my firearms. If I don't like them I don't buy them.Do you shoot only stock AR's?

TXBK
03-09-14, 09:28
I'll let you know if it is worth it after I get my G19 back from Cold Bore. My last name translates "small hands". I decided that my first reduction/stipple should be done by a professional. I may attempt my own on other pistols if I find it to be advantageous. I have seem some horrible, disastrous DIY reduction/stipple jobs. Plus sending my CCW off for a little while gave me a reason to buy another.

Voodoo_Man
03-09-14, 09:35
My g17, which is cut down to 19 size is awesome. I have not carried it, because I have a g19 I edc, but the size is right on.

http://i.imgur.com/dYyFnCK.jpg

sapper36
03-09-14, 13:50
Getting Rid of the horrible grip angle helps a lot of people. The hump on the back made them difficult for me to shoot which is why I eventually dumped all of my Glocks and went to the M&P. I grew up on the 1911 though. If the Glock was your first gun or first really used gun I don't think it would help unless like already posted the person has small hands.

HWF
03-10-14, 21:02
I cut my 17 down to 19 size and love it.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u458/i29alpha/ac9723c2cef9c4cb4276fa9698d1fc71_zps0af28aa1.jpg

Tomahawk_Ghost
03-11-14, 10:03
I have a old Glock 22 that I bought as a College student back in 1994. Had a grip reduction done by Arizona Expert Arms back in 2001. Gun has always been accurate and is just a natural pointer for me with the reduction.

That said, with the handguns H&K and S&W are offering now I would look at one of those before I would chop a glock. If you still feel that is the path for you buy a police trade in, test for reliability then have it done by Coldbore or one of the other well know Glock chop shops.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/Cross_Steel/Glock_zps503d2989.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Cross_Steel/media/Glock_zps503d2989.jpg.html)

bighawk
05-03-14, 20:02
I have a G19 with a grip reduction, finger grooves removed and the trigger guard undercuts that I did myself and a second G19 with NO grip reduction but it has a trigger guard under cut and finger grooves removed that was done professionally and can say that for me the hump is not the issue but the trigger guard undercut is what really makes a HUGE difference in terms of comfort. I have large knuckles and once the trigger guard was undercut and polished it really changed how many rounds I can comfortably shoot in a single session. Rivals the feeling of how perfect my Sig 226 feels in my hands.

Up1911fan
05-03-14, 23:20
I have a G17 at ColdBore now. Its getting reduced and chopped for 19 mags. I also have a G19 from CBC. Should be perfect for me. I say yeah its worth it.