PDA

View Full Version : Crush Washer Issue

Nengland
03-03-14, 19:45
So I recently received my battle comp and was installing it as prescribed 1/4 turn loosen and repeat but after repeating this twice the crush washer became stuck and wouldn't turn and definitely not pulling off. It is positioned with the tapered end towards the rear. Any thoughts on how to remove it?

discreet
03-03-14, 19:59
So I recently received my battle comp and was installing it as prescribed 1/4 turn loosen and repeat but after repeating this twice the crush washer became stuck and wouldn't turn and definitely not pulling off. It is positioned with the tapered end towards the rear. Any thoughts on how to remove it?

Wait so you installed it, and now want to remove it? And by stuck do you mean you took the battle comp off and crush washer stuck on barrel?

Also if I'm not mistaken the battle comp comes with shims, and you wouldn't use a crush washer in the first place with it

Nengland
03-03-14, 20:03
My BC came with a crush washer. There were no shims included so i used the supplied crush washer. I began to install it and it looked like it would time correctly but as i loosened the BC I noticed the washer was stuck. Now I'm wanting to remove it.

discreet
03-03-14, 20:16
So to clarify, the washer is stuck on the barrel while the comp is now off? Has it ovalized? Have you tried tapping it a tad to break it free? The crush washer should be softer than the barrel steel so should mar the threads. I've never had one deform to the point of being stuck on however. But then again I typically use shims most of the time.

Nengland
03-03-14, 20:29
Yeah ive tapped on it with a rubber mallet and its spinning now but won't twist off or pull off. Yes, the comp is off. It doesn't appear to have deformed to the point where its completely lost its shape.

col.1981
03-03-14, 20:52

Why do you need to remove it?

If it's damaged or "crushed" get a new one.

Otherwise put the BC back on and torque to spec and make sure it's timed correctly.

If the crush washer won't come off you might have over torqued it. Just use a dremel and cut it slightly then pull it off with pliers. And be careful not to damage the barrel or threads.

Nengland
03-03-14, 20:58
Torque I applied was at 25 ft lb and I want to use shims this next time when I really install it. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar circumstance and had any advice.I want to remove it now so in the future I don't have to come back to it.

tehpwnag3
03-03-14, 21:26
Torque I applied was at 25 ft lb and I want to use shims this next time when I really install it. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar circumstance and had any advice.I want to remove it now so in the future I don't have to come back to it.

I would lube up the threads with grease, grip the washer with channel locks and carefully try unscrewing it off while exerting slight pressure towards the muzzle. Good luck.

Hmac
03-03-14, 22:10
. I've never installed a muzzle device where I wish I'd used shims instead of a crush washer. Battlecomp Works great with a crush washer installed in the usual way. Torque wrench is unnecessary.

Just cut yours off with a Dremel.

MistWolf
03-04-14, 09:04
When installing the Battlecomp with a crush washer, use what they call a tappet wrench which is narrower. When using a regular width, the outside diameter of the crush washer can expand and either trap the wrench or or washer get get distorted.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/DSC_0120.jpg

Depending on how badly the crush washer is distorted, you might be able to spin it off without damaging the threads. Another option is to set the crush washer against the anvil of your vise or similar hard surface and carefully tap the washer with a hammer. Tap the washer to crush it slightly, then rotate it and hit another spot. Eventually it will stretch enough to slip off. You can also crush the washer by carefully using a vise. Don't do this with the crush washer on the threads, make sure it's at the unthreaded portion near the shoulder