PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do, Sell or Wait??

Unkle Kurt
03-03-14, 20:30
I have about $500 saved up towards an AR-15 that has taken me about a year to save. However, I have 2 Glock 17's that I am considering parting with one to finish funding the AR.

Should I wait another 6 months to a year and save up to buy the AR outright? Or go ahead and sell one Glock to buy one now? I could always buy another G17 later.

Models I am considering:

M&P 15
USA Tactical
Stag
BCM

discreet
03-03-14, 20:33
I have about $500 saved up towards an AR-15 that has taken me about a year to save. However, I have 2 Glock 17's that I am considering parting with one to finish funding the AR.

Should I wait another 6 months to a year and save up to buy the AR outright? Or go ahead and sell one Glock to buy one now? I could always buy another G17 later.

Models I am considering:

M&P 15
USA Tactical
Stag
BCM

Save up. If you get a freak squib or something and your glock goes out of comission, you will wish you kept the 2nd one.

Failure2Stop
03-03-14, 20:37
I consider a working pistol to be the cornerstone of effective self-preservation/self-reliance.
Having a secondary pistol to back up your primary, or to have a dedicated training pistol and a primary carry pistol, is the best path to "always have a pistol".

Next:
Go for the BCM, worth the wait and money.

TacticalMark
03-03-14, 20:40
I would keep saving

SilverBullet432
03-03-14, 20:46
Keep a secondary, and consider BCM a lil' more!

uffdaphil
03-03-14, 20:46
Sell the Glock and buy the BCM. Then save for another pistol. Chance that your remaining pistol chooses that short window to blow up is miniscule.

Rohardi
03-03-14, 20:47
Two is one, one is none. Keep Squirreling money away for the rifle. I would say once you have a rifle, look at selling one of the 17 for maybe a 19 or 26 if you have the ability to CCW where you live.

chastain11
03-03-14, 20:54
Two is one, one is none. Keep Squirreling money away for the rifle. I would say once you have a rifle, look at selling one of the 17 for maybe a 19 or 26 if you have the ability to CCW where you live.

I like this idea and as others have mentioned, "2 is 1 and 1 is none". I never gave that much thought but since reading that here, I realize that that is how I live a good portion of my life. So, I would consider keeping both 17's and saving for the BCM (out of your options) but having the ability to CC with a 19 and training with a 17 is a great option.

Maybe figure out a way to "make it happen" sooner? Extra hours, side jobs, selling your body, etc.

blade_68
03-03-14, 21:00
I'd stay with a pair of G17s and save for BCM or at least a BCM UPPERS and a in spec lower. Short term pistol is more useful. Then worst case spare parts for the other. Off topic magazine and ammo supply for said pistols.

Hank6046
03-03-14, 21:05
Sell the Glock and buy the BCM. Then save for another pistol. Chance that your remaining pistol chooses that short window to blow up is miniscule.

I agree, I was also half way to an AR when Newtown happened and prices plus the threat of the ban made my decisions much more limited. Having said that I always have some sort of stow away fund and I save for what I want not the next thing.

zombiescometh
03-03-14, 21:05
I would keep saving up for the AR, but if a fantastic deal comes along that you cant pass up i would say get it.

Trajan
03-03-14, 21:10
Keep your pistols, take that $500 and take a class.

Million to one chance you'll ever need a carbine. Pistol odds are much higher.

LoveAR
03-03-14, 21:40
I would get the AR...BCM if possible.

OH58D
03-03-14, 21:51
Keep saving for the AR. Of the choices you noted, BCM is the most bang for your buck. Hang onto your Glocks. Nice defensive insurance for the future, and they're like money in the bank if handguns ever become hard to obtain.

cop1211
03-03-14, 21:53
I'd sell one of the 17's, get the BCM. Then save for a Glock 19.
When the next Newtown happens we could all be screwed.

Straight Shooter
03-03-14, 21:55
Ive read all the answers given thus far. Sound logic and answers. WHAT ID DO: I sell that Glock TODAY and get that AR TOMORROW. We are...at literally ANY second...another Sandy Hook away from yet ANOTHER year of panic buying, and legislative threats. Could happen tonight, tomorrow. Classes will always be there. You have one good Glock. Sell the other and get that AR TODAY.

sadmin
03-03-14, 22:01
Spend then 500 on a complete lower. You will alwAys be able to get an upper. Save your Glocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fourXfour
03-03-14, 22:06
Spend then 500 on a complete lower. You will alwAys be able to get an upper. Save your Glocks

+1 on the BCM lower now. $500 should cover it. Save up for the upper.

Two Glock 17's are perfect. Keep them as is.

You never know what crazy legislation is coming.

Split66
03-03-14, 22:07
1. Do you have enough 9mm ammo to last and last?

2. Do you have enough magazines to last and last?

I'd make sure you were stocked up before moving to a new platform. Along with what F2S said, make sure you always have something to shoot....panics and all. :)

tehpwnag3
03-03-14, 22:07
I voted to save. I always regret selling a gun, for some reason. Usually it's not about the money.

Kokopelli
03-03-14, 22:11
I vote for getting the BCM ASAP. They ain't gonna get any cheaper and Glocks are easy to come by.. JMO

gun71530
03-03-14, 22:15
I'd sell one of the 17's, get the BCM. Then save for a Glock 19.
When the next Newtown happens we could all be screwed.

My recommendation as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Kain
03-03-14, 22:18
If I were in your situation I would probably pick up a lower, a quality BCG, and would then likely trade one of the 17s for a 19 for CC. In regards to a lower, two ways you could go about it. Buy a complete lower, which is going to run you about $380-400 for a BCM lower meaning you'd be adding about $50 for a BCM BCG. Or build one, which going with the minimum of quality I would use, IE I am going to lean towards as good as I can, It wouldn't necessarily be cheaper, though I might end up with an ACT trigger for the same price as buying a complete BCM lower. Of course I you want to forgo the BCG and dump a full $500 into building a lower you can build yourself a damn nice one with top of line parts. I also of options listed would push for BCM, and I can say that with having shot a smith and stag side by side my BCM and the BCM is more gun. The last one I never heard of.

This is solely my opinion. Though I helped a friend build an AR from lower up over the course of about 5 months last year during the scare. The only part I would like to see him replace is the PSA BCG he dropped in it. But that is neither here nor there.

wingman87
03-03-14, 22:44
sell both glocks:cool:

Hank6046
03-03-14, 22:59
sell both glocks:cool:

I appreciate your unbiased opinion, I thought I was the fng on this website

carolvs
03-03-14, 23:04
Keep the pistols, buy a lower now and keep saving for your upper.

wingman87
03-03-14, 23:05
I appreciate your unbiased opinion, I thought I was the fng on this website

I wish I could say my opinion was unbiased but I really really hate glocks and for the life of me can't understand why america has fallen in love with it

davidjinks
03-03-14, 23:29
You have 2 perfectly good pistols that will cover all of your immediate needs for:

Self defense, home defense, training/classes, general range time

You're already saving up for an AR. You have the major bases covered as of now and that's having 2 Glock 17s.

I would continue to save the rest of the money to purchase the AR. I would also say, given your choices, to go with the BCM. You should keep an eye open in the EE for complete rifles or separate uppers/lowers. I've seen some pretty solid prices lately within the EE.

Models I am considering:

M&P 15
USA Tactical
Stag
BCM

davidjinks
03-03-14, 23:31
Fortunately for the OP this thread isn't about your likes and/or dislikes of Glock pistols. Of course you missed that part of the OP...

I wish I could say my opinion was unbiased but I really really hate glocks and for the life of me can't understand why america has fallen in love with it

Korgs130
03-03-14, 23:35
Here's another vote for keeping the Glocks, getting a BCM lower now, and then getting an upper when funds allow. You can get a complete BCM Blem lower (minus the stock) for $350. The blemished lowers are a great deal.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-BLEM

Also, Glocks rock.

Headcase650
03-04-14, 01:26
Buy a lower, Build it as you can afford it but make it a pistol first with the sig brace and a short barrel. That way the future of that lower is limitless.

ryr8828
03-04-14, 05:37
Buy a lower.

JW5219
03-04-14, 05:50
Ive read all the answers given thus far. Sound logic and answers. WHAT ID DO: I sell that Glock TODAY and get that AR TOMORROW. We are...at literally ANY second...another Sandy Hook away from yet ANOTHER year of panic buying, and legislative threats. Could happen tonight, tomorrow. Classes will always be there. You have one good Glock. Sell the other and get that AR TODAY.

I'm with Straight Shooter on this, and make the AR a BCM. Glocks are a all over the place, and used ones can be had for pretty short money.

Maddmax
03-04-14, 07:14
All I can say. Remember what happened last year with the AWB and where the prices went (through the roof !!!) for MSR's. Those same people that caused that are still lurking in the shadows just waiting to try and pull another stunt.:secret:

Ark1443
03-04-14, 07:20
I voted to keep the glock, and continue saving.

mastiffhound
03-04-14, 07:21
I consider a working pistol to be the cornerstone of effective self-preservation/self-reliance.
Having a secondary pistol to back up your primary, or to have a dedicated training pistol and a primary carry pistol, is the best path to "always have a pistol".

Next:
Go for the BCM, worth the wait and money.

This is the route I took when I started out. Of course when I started out it was with wheelguns, too many Dirty Harry and cowboy movies with a father that thought 9mm was for sissies. I still have a love for big bore calibers but I've come around to large capacity auto-loaders. Having 2 Glocks means you're farther ahead than I was. Save up is the right answer. I've always regretted selling or trading guns away. Even if you don't really have a need or want right now for what you have, trust me you'll come back to it. I think the only gun I don't regret getting rid off was a Bushmaster because it was a jam-o-matic turd. Buy quality and you'll never be sorry, BCM is the only one of those 4 I would even consider.

_Stormin_
03-04-14, 07:23
I would be keeping the pistols and buying a lower now. The upper can always be bought when you have saved more. The BCM's from Grant are a great call.

tgizzard
03-04-14, 07:41
I vote you buy a good complete lower. That way you already have the "gun" portion of your AR. Who knows when the next panic will happen.

markm
03-04-14, 07:50
Pistols aren't ballin. Get a rifle ASAP.

Ryno12
03-04-14, 08:01
That would be a no brainer for me. Ditch one of your 17's to finish a rifle.

Sent via Tapatalk

Chipper78
03-04-14, 08:03
I say sell one of the Glocks. You probably will regret it but not as much as you will regret not having a rifle when the next panic comes. Like someone posted earlier we are just one stupid event away from a panic, and you can be sure that if Hillary is elected there will be another one. Sell the Glock, get he BCM and then start buying ammo for it. At the very least you should be buying ammo now.

wingman87
03-04-14, 08:41
Fortunately for the OP this thread isn't about your likes and/or dislikes of Glock pistols. Of course you missed that part of the OP...

Nope read every word just giving him a reason why I said sell the glocks but of course u missed that.

MistWolf
03-04-14, 08:46
Which option will get you shooting the soonest? Keeping the G17 and continuing to save? Or selling it and getting your rifle ordered? Do any of the local shops carry a quality AR carbine that allows layaway? In my opinion, six months of shooting beats six months of waiting. With one Glock and one AR, you could join your local training group and and least get started. Once you've got your AR and ammo, you can start saving towards a replacement pistol or go put one on layaway.

Of your choices, I agree with the rest of the guys- Get the BCM. You should also consider the Colt

3 AE
03-04-14, 09:33
Are the two G-17s the only pistols in your inventory? If not, you might want to consider selling off whatever else you have in order to get your AR ASAP if you're serious about getting into a quality AR platform. A basic BCM will run $1150-$1200. A Colt 6920 or 6720 will run $1000.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

Add 1000 rds of ammo, sling, light with mount, and a dozen quality magazines, and you're looking at an extra $700+. Budget accordingly.

hatidua
03-04-14, 09:44
Here's another vote for keeping the Glocks, getting a BCM lower now, and then getting an upper when funds allow.

I'd cast my vote like that as well.

Phillygunguy
03-04-14, 09:51
like others have said, 2 is one keep the glock spend money on a BCM lower, get some AR mags, save

tehpwnag3
03-04-14, 10:43
I guess it comes down to how long you'll need to save to buy that AR. If the next few paychecks will do it, keep the pistols. If it takes 4-12 months or longer, sell a pistol and some other stuff. The real issue you will have later is affording enough ammo and mags to feed that thing (perhaps some training, too). IME, that's were the most money is spent, if you agree that having a nice stockpile keeps you warm at night.

DWood
03-04-14, 11:07
2 is 1, 1 is none....... but no rifle = no good. New Glock 17 gen 3 and gen 4 can be had on GB for $499 Buy Now. There is even a Gen 3 FDE for $499. What Gen are your 17s, are they new or fired by you, any upgrades like sights, and most importantly do you have a buyer? Preferrably local so you don't have to ship Overnight (if you abide by UPS or Fed Ex ridiculous, expensive mandates to Overnight pistols).

I would sell a Glock, but I don't think you will net anywhere close to $500 if they can be bought new from vendors who can use cheaper shipping. If you can, then sell one pistol.

PS alternative plan, eat ramen noodles every day and buy your AR in just two months ;)

Shiz
03-04-14, 11:14
If you sell a glock, you can get THIS!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-KeyMod-KMR13-p/bcm-urg-mid-16elw-kmr13.htm

If you wait, you can get the Cold Hammer Forged version. I didn't wait. Very happy with my purchase.

IF you get it now, you can get some training under your belt before Obama destroys America this summer. ( a little shout out to the "sky is falling" crowd...GoOO Builder-Burgers!! ;) )

weggy
03-04-14, 11:27
I can't tell you what to do, that's your decision. But one of the G17s is going bye-bye. I don't worry about Glocks failing, mine has gone several thousand rounds without a burp.

Onyx Z
03-04-14, 12:03
Keep both pistols and buy a complete lower right now. I have never (and never will) sell a gun, but I have regretted selling similar things before.

TurretGunner
03-04-14, 12:27
Buy 5 stripped lowers. Should be way under $500.

keep your pistols.

Slowly build the guns over time as funds come availible. Building a Lower is stupid easy. Buy complete uppers or have them built (they are a bit more complicated)

Thank me later.

tromanf3
03-04-14, 15:40
My vote is to keep saving and get exactly what you want, I still regret getting rid of the few weapons I did. I kept that mentality on my first build, which included a BCM complete upper and couldn't be happier. If you just settle you will regret later on.

tylerw02
03-04-14, 15:53
Keep your glocks. Buy a BCM lower now and 10 mags.

Kain
03-04-14, 15:57
Buy 5 stripped lowers. Should be way under $500.

keep your pistols.

Slowly build the guns over time as funds come availible. Building a Lower is stupid easy. Buy complete uppers or have them built (they are a bit more complicated)

Thank me later.

May I ask where you have good/known quality lowers for under a $100 a piece? Most of the ones I see are $120+ on the lower end when I see them. More for some brands. If you have a source for BCM stripped lower for a pack of five for under $500 share daddy needs more BCM lowers!!!!

Ryno12
03-04-14, 16:30
May I ask where you have good/known quality lowers for under a $100 a piece? Most of the ones I see are $120+ on the lower end when I see them. More for some brands. If you have a source for BCM stripped lower for a pack of five for under $500 share daddy needs more BCM lowers!!!!

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-receivers/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-3-pack-181.html

Sent via Tapatalk

tylerw02
03-04-14, 16:32
Somehow I don't see how five stripped lowers helps the OP

Kain
03-04-14, 16:42
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-receivers/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-3-pack-181.html

Sent via Tapatalk

Oooo. :cool: Still aren't the BCMs I was hoping for though, nice price nevertheless and here I thought cheap lowers were all gone. Better then the 80% lowers I was looking at a while back. Am going to forward it to a few I know who are wanting more lowers. I don't need five stripped lowers sitting around here, they grow uppers around me too quickly.

Guntrician
03-04-14, 21:24

This. And of the choices given, BCM upper.

wilson1911
03-04-14, 21:32
Have a garage sale !!!

buy a bcm lower from Grant now. The upper can wait.

start buying pmags now.

Iraqgunz
03-04-14, 23:44
Aimsurplus had Spike's lowers recently for 89.99

TurretGunner
03-05-14, 05:32
Oooo. :cool: Still aren't the BCMs I was hoping for though, nice price nevertheless and here I thought cheap lowers were all gone. Better then the 80% lowers I was looking at a while back. Am going to forward it to a few I know who are wanting more lowers. I don't need five stripped lowers sitting around here, they grow uppers around me too quickly.

Aero makes like 30% of the lowers on the market, for various companies.

Lowers are lowers, unless you want something like an SR-15 ambi lower. The PSA complete lowers for $150 are a smoking deal (the MOE version even moreso). My dealer here in VA sells Aero lowers for $65. Can be found cheaper if u look.

Buy em cheap and stack em deep. Hell the anderson lowers are 10 for $500.

manbearpig
03-05-14, 06:46
I can't remember where I heard this but I think it's a good quote: Never sell a reliable semi-auto.

Scpi67
03-05-14, 11:20
I'm a longtime "lurker" and this is obviously my first post, but here's what I did two years ago. I sold a Nighthawk 1911, bought an LMT lower from Ranier, stuck a Spikes upper on it, and bought a Glock 22. (The $ worked out pretty close) I have since replaced that upper with one from BCM. My situation is obviously different from yours but my point is this, if you buy a quality lower as your base, you can always switch uppers based on your needs/preferences. If I were you, I'd at least buy a lower now. There's no right way, but that's how I'd do it.

TurretGunner
03-05-14, 12:48
Lowers are lowers. Unless you want certain features like billet, Ambi controls or weird cuts they are all just about the same.

Yes some are a bit better than other, but for the most part, everything on the market right now works.

Buy whatever is the cheapest and you find for accetable rollmarks and carry on. Most are made by a handfull of companies and other than the name on the side, they are the exact same product.

tylerw02
03-05-14, 14:58
Lowers are lowers until you get a crummy one. For the most that they all work. The important part is the parts you install in them.

TurretGunner
03-05-14, 15:20
I have had high end lowers with out of spec Holes and I have had cheap $50 specials that fit a quality LPK like a glove.

The probability of getting a bad lower is pretty small. Due to the sheer number of lowers sold, yeah there will be some bad ones that slip through QC. Its not like BCM or DD or Noveske are doing QC for each lower from whoever they source it from. Without fully building the lower out and doing a function test, you wouldn't know anyway.

As I said earlier, the vast majority of lowers are made by a handfull of the same shops. Hell, if they wern't classified as a firearm, they would cost about $10-20 each. Same principle as cans.

HighDesert
03-05-14, 15:29

+1 on the BCM lower now. $500 should cover it. Save up for the upper.

Two Glock 17's are perfect. Keep them as is.

You never know what crazy legislation is coming.

Agree 100%

Keep the Glocks and buy a BCM lower now - these will be very hard to get if there is another panic.

Save up for the BCM upper - they were around enough even during the last craze.

markm
03-05-14, 15:37
What about clips for the Glocks and some Banana Clips for the BCM????

shutup&shoot
03-05-14, 15:39
The Sionics lower is only 309 right now.
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=99

shutup&shoot
03-05-14, 15:41
What about clips for the Glocks and some Banana Clips for the BCM????

Clips? I thought they were bullet holding thingys.

Wolfhound86
03-05-14, 16:14
You should get the BCM now. The Obama regime is capable of anything.

JW5219
03-05-14, 17:46
Clips ? Really?

shutup&shoot
03-05-14, 17:59
Clips ? Really?

Sarcasm, or humor. He wasn't being serious.

steve462x0
03-06-14, 07:55
Keep saving, you'll wish you had as soon as you part with what you have.

Eurodriver
03-06-14, 08:43
Editted

bakercountyboy
03-06-14, 11:26
If it were me I would sell one of the 17's