PDA

View Full Version : 12 o'clock X300 a problem with magnified optics?

ASH556
03-04-14, 08:07
Like a lot of others, I have found an X300 mounted at 12 o'clock to be optimal on a long gun. I've used it with no issues on a rifle with a red dot, but am wondering about something with magnification. I breifly mounted one in front of a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and seemed to notice substantial shadow in the lower portion of the optic , even on 10x. I did not shoot it this way, just played around my house a little bit. I've seen magnified optics used with FSB's in place, and the X300 is not as tall as an FSB.

Any others with experience? Just ignore the shadow and drive on? Biggest issue I see with the shadow is when using holdovers for shooting at distance, you will be viewing the target in the bottom/shadowed portion of the optic.

TehLlama
03-04-14, 10:24
I have a really limited problem with this, but I'm running 1.93" and 2.01" height over bore optics, so I have to strain a bit at 1x to even notice.

The other way I worked around it was running M300's on stock mounts at 12:00 instead, but the X300's were fine in my experience.

Kain
03-04-14, 10:44
Was this indoors or outdoors? I run an ACOG on my middy and indoors the FSP is more apparent there as well as in lower light than outdoors and in brighter light where is more or less disappears. Also, depending on focal point the amount that is seen can vary. A friend had a 1.25-4X Trij that you could never see his FSB at any magnification.

discreet
03-04-14, 10:56
How low are the rings? My Aero Precision mount works well for me compared to lower mounts in terms of helping get rid of shadow.

ASH556
03-04-14, 11:12
It was indoors and the optic is in a Larue SPR 1.5

ra2bach
03-04-14, 12:54
I can't believe it would be a problem as I have used a 1-4 with a FSB and it was not bad. at 1x the FSB was visible but completely fuzzed out at 4x. if there was a shadow it wasn't bad and would be in the lower part of the image anyway, not the part that makes a difference when sighting...

jdavis6576
03-04-14, 13:36
I just noticed this myself after replacing the FSB with a lo-pro gas block in my transition from a C4 Mid-Length Cut Out rail to the CMR. I previously had an X300U on a Mossie mount and used a T1 on the rifle. With the rail change my goal was to be able to use either the T1 or my Nightforce 2.5-10x32. I noticed the shadow of the X300U when mounted at 12:00 so I decided to instead use a P2X Fury with clickie cap in a Gear Sector mount on this particular rifle. I haven't shot it extensively in the T1 or Nightforce configuration but I've found change in light to be minor from a mechanics standpoint. I also like the improved reliability of the mount on the Fury over the X300U. I still have the X300U and can change lights quickly but plan to stay with the Fury for the time being. I still have an X300U on another BCM Middie mounted at 12:00 (has FSP) and don't plan to change that one. Each configuration has a different purpose and as I have both lights I can rotate until I finally settle on an option. So far I see little if any downside to the Fury besides the added weight.

El Cid
03-04-14, 16:47
OP, how does that LaRue mount compare in height to the ADM Recon series? I have a 1-6 optic in a Recon X and the X300 up front doesn't bother me at all. During a class where we shot out to 300 and 400 yards I had no trouble using the mil dot tree for holdover. Maybe at longer ranges it would but I haven't been able to test that yet.

SeriousStudent
03-04-14, 23:12
I have a Colt 6920, DD RIS II rail, with a Surefire X300 at 12:00. It's still got the fixed FSB which I like. It's got a Larue 1.93 mount and a Trijicon TR-24G 1-4x variable scope with a 3Gun cattail.

Light is not a problem. Shadow you mentioned is not a problem. FSB is not a problem. Almost as fast my Aimpoint H-1 equipped carbines, and mo betta when you go past 200 yards.

It fills the role it was built for very well. YMMV.

masakari
03-06-14, 07:39
I was never bothered by my X300 or TLR-1 when mounted at 12:00. My optic at the time (and still is) a TA33. I no longer have my lights mounted at 12:00, but my fixed FSBs are still there and they don't get in the way.
I did notice, however, that the further I moved my eye away from the optic, the more that I could see a shadow in my objective. So maybe move slightly closer/move the optic sligtly back.

El Cid
03-06-14, 12:59
ASH556,

Hope these help. First pic is at 1x, and 2nd pic is at 6x.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/P1010092.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/P1010091.jpg

ASH556
03-06-14, 13:38
ASH556,

Very helpful, thank you! I'll try it again and see what I get.

goteron
03-10-14, 21:22
I have a Z6i on a 14.5" with an X300U mounted at the end of the rail. I do have the X300U lowered a bit and it doesn't bother me at all on 1x. It doesn't distract me or impair my vision at all.

ra2bach
03-11-14, 14:41
ASH556,

I would not have a problem with that sight picture but it looks like the reticle is canted...

btw, love your sig line...

El Cid
03-11-14, 19:56
I would not have a problem with that sight picture but it looks like the reticle is canted...

btw, love your sig line...
Thanks!

Yea it may be. When shooting right handed it looks a smidge off. From the left shoulder it looks vertical. I am looking for a system to double check it. Was leaning toward this - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-reticle-levelers/segway-reticle-levelers-prod56125.aspx

Thoughts?

ra2bach
03-12-14, 12:18
Thanks!

Yea it may be. When shooting right handed it looks a smidge off. From the left shoulder it looks vertical. I am looking for a system to double check it. Was leaning toward this - http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-reticle-levelers/segway-reticle-levelers-prod56125.aspx

Thoughts?

when I mentioned that, I just looked at the horizontal stadia compared to the top of the X300 in your picture. I wouldn't square it up with that though - too many variables between the light and the rail to the receiver...

an old trick is to place something that guarantees parallel between the turret block and the rail or base. lots of people like feeler gauges but I have trapped them when tightening down the rings. I like to use an allen key that fits with a little space and then twist it to take up the gap. this will provide a flat parallel surface to level the bottom of the turret to while you are tightening the ring screws down. snug them up then remove the allen key then torque to spec...

El Cid
03-12-14, 12:40
when I mentioned that, I just looked at the horizontal stadia compared to the top of the X300 in your picture. I wouldn't square it up with that though - too many variables between the light and the rail to the receiver...

an old trick is to place something that guarantees parallel between the turret block and the rail or base. lots of people like feeler gauges but I have trapped them when tightening down the rings. I like to use an allen key that fits with a little space and then twist it to take up the gap. this will provide a flat parallel surface to level the bottom of the turret to while you are tightening the ring screws down. snug them up then remove the allen key then torque to spec...

Thanks. Yea, the problem is the Z6i doesn't have a flat surface like that or the deck of cards trick would work. I thought about hanging a plumb and checkin vertical after a friend recommended that. Still have to ensure the rifle is level though.

OP - I went back and checked... even with the front sight flipped in the up position, no part of the sight (or the shorter X300) is visible when at 6x. My guess is this is common to all scopes, not just that brand. I tried it with different lighting (sun in front, to the side, etc.) and I don't see anything to indicate there is anything on the rail. Good luck and let us know how it works out.