PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Truecrypt? or know about hashing?

Eurodriver
03-04-14, 09:30
I've been looking at storing some personal data (scanned copies of DL, SS card, DD214, etc) along with some personal images and video that I would like not to fall in the public domain.

I just partitioned a portion of my hard drive and I'm attempting to install truecrypt...but I must be doing something wrong. I just spent 20 minutes encrypting the drive (it was empty when I began) and now I can store data and retrieve them without any encryption whatsoever. I'm re-encrypting it to see if maybe I made a mistake.

Also, I selected SHA 512 for hashing but I don't see a way to hash the drive or test whether the hash is correct.

Anyone familiar with this stuff?

Koshinn
03-04-14, 09:37
I've been looking at storing some personal data (scanned copies of DL, SS card, DD214, etc) along with some personal images and video that I would like not to fall in the public domain.

I just partitioned a portion of my hard drive and I'm attempting to install truecrypt...but I must be doing something wrong. I just spent 20 minutes encrypting the drive (it was empty when I began) and now I can store data and retrieve them without any encryption whatsoever. I'm re-encrypting it to see if maybe I made a mistake.

Also, I selected SHA 512 for hashing but I don't see a way to hash the drive or test whether the hash is correct.

Hashing isn't encryption. It's basically used for data integrity checks.

I haven't used truecrypt itself in maybe 5 years, so I can't really help with the software. But I know truecrypt allows you to encrypt folders, so why not just encrypt a folder or a virtual drive instead of an entire partition?

ETA: for small things, an encrypted WinRAR file works well. AES-128 combined with a complex password > 10 characters is pretty much unbreakable right now.

Eurodriver
03-04-14, 09:48
I know what hashing is. But truecrypt incorporates hashing into its software as well as encryption. I just don't know where to access the hashing information.

Renegade
03-04-14, 10:31

When containers or partitions are mounted/open, you can move files in and out without being asked for a key. Just drag & drop.

I recommend using a encrypted file container first to learn with. You can make small ones of just a few GB in a minute or so. This will make it easy to experiment with mounting/dismounting, moving files in/out, etc.

Containers can also be moved around, while partitions cannot. For example, I cam make a 1GB container and then put that encrypted container on a USB stick, or a DropBox or Google Drive. I myself only use encrypted partitions to encrypt the entire disk, thus preventing most from gaining access if it is stolen or whatever.

Renegade
03-04-14, 10:33
I know what hashing is. But truecrypt incorporates hashing into its software as well as encryption. I just don't know where to access the hashing information.

You do not need to access it, that is why it is unavailable.

bzdog
03-04-14, 12:05
Truecrypt mounts a file or block device as a filesystem*. Once mounted, it acts like any other filesystem and requires no special means to access the files. It's existence is transparent.

If you want to test that it is working, simply dismount the filesystem with Truecrypt or alternately reboot. You should not be able to access the files without re-mounting with Trucrypt.

-john

* Slight oversimplification

alienb1212
03-04-14, 14:56
Google is your friend. Seriously, there's TONS of how-tos, FAQs and tutorials out there, including several on the website you downloaded TC from. It took more effort to start this thread.

RancidSumo
03-04-14, 16:18
I purchased Folder Lock to encrypt my files with. I don't know about Truecrypt but the software I use works great, has redundant security measures, and can be set to delete/overwrite files if a wrong password is used x number of times. The other huge plus is the ability to transfer the locked files onto a flash drive and keep the same level of security. It cost something like $50 but it's worth it.

Edit: After reading this thread I may be out of my depth.

Eurodriver
03-04-14, 16:42
Thanks for the info guys. I spent some more time with it and I've got the hang of it now.

Part of the reason I encrypted an entire partition is just because I wanted to. I don't really have a better answer. I can still encrypt containers elsewhere if I want to.

TriviaMonster
03-04-14, 22:49
Just send me your private videos, I'll keep them safe. And if you really care, pick up a beater PC and disable networking to store your very sensitive info on. You can find a decent tower for $150 used and have a real vault.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
03-04-14, 23:17
Just send me your private videos, I'll keep them safe. And if you really care, pick up a beater PC and disable networking to store your very sensitive info on. You can find a decent tower for $150 used and have a real vault.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Or, you can buy a used laptop, and store it in your gunsafe.

Eurodriver, do some more reading about hidden volumes in Truecrypt. One can create fake or "misleading" partitions, so a searcher may think they have found something, when there is still more to be found.

Jer
03-05-14, 11:22
Or, you can buy a used laptop, and store it in your gunsafe.

Eurodriver, do some more reading about hidden volumes in Truecrypt. One can create fake or "misleading" partitions, so a searcher may think they have found something, when there is still more to be found.

NAS in a gun room/walk-in vault in the basement with 128bit WinRAR on the folders. Some stuff stored off-site but a bomb proof shelter w/encrypted folders should be adequate.

Eurodriver
03-05-14, 11:44
I think I will decrypt the partition and go the external encrypted HD route in a safe. Makes much more sense and will be 100% hidden unless someone steals the physical HD and decrypts it.

NAS in a gun room/walk-in vault in the basement with 128bit WinRAR on the folders. Some stuff stored off-site but a bomb proof shelter w/encrypted folders should be adequate.

What's a basement?

Jer
03-05-14, 11:50
I think I will decrypt the partition and go the external encrypted HD route in a safe. Makes much more sense and will be 100% hidden unless someone steals the physical HD and decrypts it.

That's the way to go IMO. If you want to go easy just cut the drywall between two studs and build a simple 2x4 frame inside to place your NAS on with network and power fed into the frame. Then secure your picture over the top somehow and nobody will ever find it. For bonus points do something like this inside of a walk-in gun vault in your basement that is also hidden and you should be good.

What's a basement?

Never mind. lol