PDA

View Full Version : Sphinx pistols?

mike56
03-04-14, 15:36
See some reviews and ads, but anyone actually handle/shoot one?

brickboy240
03-04-14, 15:46
I actually got to hold and examine a full size 9mm about 2 years ago.

Seemed very well made, pretty heavy and reminded me of a very well finished Baby Desert Eagle or maybe the full size Witness/Tanfoglio guns. They're made in Switzerland and it shows.

The other thing I remembered was the price tag....around 3 grand.

That is all I know about them...don't know anyone that owns one and the dealer had never shot one either.

-brickboy240

Interesting but nothing I'd drop that kind of cash on...ever.

montrala
03-04-14, 16:23
Handled them, shot them, friends use them. But never got around to spend so much money on CZ 75 clone. Original works good enough.

Elkhound
03-04-14, 17:48
I am not presently in the market, but I sent them a message, sort of "tongue in cheek" asking them if they were really planning on bringing more models to market, as well as their Defiance fiber optic night sights. I was a bit surprised when they responded within about a day and said that "soon, very soon, they would have additional models here in the U.S." I think that translates into the fact that they will be offering green, sand and bi-tone in the compact soon, with larger models to come even later - whenever that may be.

Elkhound

Todd762
03-04-14, 19:24
While I haven't shot, nor seen one in person, there are several CDP's on Gunbroker. Like you, I would be looking at a model that has the Defiance Fiber Optic Night Sights. I saw a few of them for sale months ago, I believe they were the krypton model or something. I believe there was also a pretty honest review of one of the new CDP's in Recoil magazine.

halo2304
03-04-14, 19:50
I think I'd rather have two (or three) H&Ks.

BocaDan
03-04-14, 20:56
I admit even though I know a lot of handgun manufacturers, I have not heard of Sphinx up until a few months ago - and that was via their ad in a magazine. Even though I live in a free state and have a lot of friends are firearms enthusiasts, I am yet to see one myself, or meet with someone who has seen/touched/fired one. Way too expensive for my taste.

I'd rather have a real CZ 75 instead of a clone for that much money plus a few cases of ammo for practice...

Bigun
03-04-14, 21:24
I handled one at the rod and gun club in Munich in 1988. Comparing it side by side with with the pre B CZ 75 that I later bought. The quality, fit and finish were apparent but so was the price tag. $850 compared to the $275 I paid for the CZ NIB. Then as now my paycheck made the decision for me. Really wanted the Sphinx though.Looking at the current prices makes me wish I had bought the Sphinx.

teutonicpolymer
03-04-14, 22:31
I would like to see a full size or long slide under $2k

fat chance though

beschatten
03-05-14, 12:24
Isn't the SDP line retailing for around a 1,000 dollars?

Quite honestly, I think it's a better gun than Sig (reports say it has the best DA/SA trigger out of all production guns). I have no doubts it's finely engineered. I just hope magazines aren't ridiculously priced and the support from Kriss will be excellent. I've always been fond of DA/SA and I think it may be a winner. I would love to find one though and be able to fondle it. If I find one, it is definitely on my short list for purchase.

bigmatt
03-05-14, 12:47
I thought CZ Clones were supposed to be cheaper than the real thing? At the prices of a Sphinx I would go Shadow CZ, a real CZ75 with some upgrades or a couple of cheap Canik/Tristar clones. One of the LBS has a Sphinx SDP, but it has been sitting there for a year plus.

LDM
03-05-14, 14:17
I had a Sphinx years ago. It was the smoothest DA/SA action I have ever felt. Fit and finish compared to a premium 1911.
It was the handgun equivalent to a Rolex.
They are pricey, but by the time you do work on any handgun, you could end up spending as much.

Omega Man
03-05-14, 15:14
The SDP are around $1100. Not $3000.

beschatten
03-05-14, 16:31
I thought CZ Clones were supposed to be cheaper than the real thing? At the prices of a Sphinx I would go Shadow CZ, a real CZ75 with some upgrades or a couple of cheap Canik/Tristar clones. One of the LBS has a Sphinx SDP, but it has been sitting there for a year plus.

PM'ing for info.

teutonicpolymer
03-05-14, 19:55
wow I did not know about the recent sphinx pricing, they used to be way more expensive

eagerly waiting for a full size/longslide model

High Tower
03-05-14, 22:41
Handled them, shot them, friends use them. But never got around to spend so much money on CZ 75 clone. Original works good enough.

This hits the nail on the head. The Sphinx is a very nice pistol and I got very good accuracy out of a rental I shot, but CZ pistols aren't anything to complain about.

Elkhound
03-06-14, 05:32
I saw a Sphinx SDP sell, new in box, on an auction site for $875.00 a couple of weeks ago. If the trigger on the Sphinx is as good as I've read, I don't know if you can get a new CZ with trigger job and reliability work for that price.

I'd like to handle one, as I've only seen them on the computer screen. However, more choices is always good! (Unless you have an anxiety disorder and choices cause you stress! :)

Fuzzy-Reticle
03-06-14, 22:13
My father owns an AT2000 full size in .40 that he purchased in the late 80s. Still never been fired. It feels like a Rolex watch and sort of looks like one. Very nice pistol. I have always been in love with it. Yes it is basically a fancy cz75 but it is pretty. Very tight tight tolerances and an amazing trigger. I'm sure one day it will be mine but I hope not to soon.

G19A3
03-07-14, 01:54
My father owns an AT2000 full size in .40 that he purchased in the late 80s. Still never been fired. It feels like a Rolex watch and sort of looks like one. Very nice pistol. I have always been in love with it. Yes it is basically a fancy cz75 but it is pretty. Very tight tight tolerances and an amazing trigger. I'm sure one day it will be mine but I hope not to soon.

He must have purchased the AT2000 in 1990 or later as the .40SW caliber was not yet released. Nice gun, regardless.

Fuzzy-Reticle
03-30-14, 19:07
I did some work for my dad today. He is now 80 so he can't exactly hang a HDTV on the wall.

I took his AT2000 out of the safe and snapped some pics with my phone.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Mobile%20Uploads/20140330_150118_zpscnlsqeog.jpg

bigdave24
03-30-14, 20:38
Great looking gun.

w3453l
05-01-14, 18:00
Sorry to bump an old thread, but has there been any updates as to a release date for the full size model?

Another thing I wanted to ask: is it true that the lower frames are interchangeable? I know the SDP's come with polymer lowers, but I heard there would be aluminum(?) and steel(?) drop in replacements. Does anyone know if this is true ? If so, I'd assume the serial numbers would be on the slide/upper half.

Thanks

MountainRaven
04-18-16, 20:16
I see that Tim with MAC has decided that he's going to carry a Sphinx.

So, pardon the necro, but has anybody else shot one or heard anything about them?

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuA-92-koYs

ColtSeavers
04-18-16, 22:44
Wow, I forgot these these things even existed. I remember being really interested in them as a DA/SA semi auto, not being able to really find any info on them other than specs and then just completely forgot about them.

MountainRaven
04-19-16, 22:24
So far, I'm finding a heck of a lot more holsters for the Sphinx SDP than for, say, the Beretta 92G-SD.

G-Code and Safariland both offer holsters for it. And the Safariland offerings include ALS models for both the basic pistol and the pistol with an X300.

Safariland doesn't even make an ALS holster for the P-07 for use with an X300 (SLS, yes).

It seems weird that at least one major manufacturer is making a significant number of holsters for a pistol that so few people have actually shot.

Chipper78
04-20-16, 08:41
Is it just me or does the SDP look like a pimped out P-07? Not in a bad MTV pimp my ride way, but a very tasteful version of a high end P-07. I wonder if it would work in the same holsters and if it would take the same mags?

MountainRaven
04-20-16, 08:51
Is it just me or does the SDP look like a pimped out P-07? Not in a bad MTV pimp my ride way, but a very tasteful version of a high end P-07. I wonder if it would work in the same holsters and if it would take the same mags?

It's not just you. In fact, I've read a few side-by-side reviews of the SDP and P-07.

So, armed with the knowledge granted by these reviews: The SDP magazines kinda work in the P-07. The P-07 magazines are too fat to fit in the SDP. In fact, standard CZ 75 magazines fit and lock into the SDP and are supposed to work, while they mostly work in the P-07: Think a P226 magazine in a P229-1.

While a leather holster for one might work for the other, Safariland - who use the same holsters for the HK45 and the P30L, the HK45C and the P30 - lists two different holster fits for the SDP and the P-07, so I would say that kydex holsters for the pistols are not interchangeable.

Chipper78
04-20-16, 08:57
It's not just you. In fact, I've read a few side-by-side reviews of the SDP and P-07.

So, armed with the knowledge granted by these reviews: The SDP magazines kinda work in the P-07. The P-07 magazines are too fat to fit in the SDP. In fact, standard CZ 75 magazines fit and lock into the SDP and are supposed to work, while they mostly work in the P-07: Think a P226 magazine in a P229-1.

While a leather holster for one might work for the other, Safariland - who use the same holsters for the HK45 and the P30L, the HK45C and the P39 - lists two different holster fits for the SDP and the P-07, so I would say that kydex holsters for the pistols are not interchangeable.

Thanks for the info, do you know if the slide on the SDP is the same as the P-07 duty version, or the newer P-07. I have both and they are different, enough that kydex holster molded on the Duty version can be very tight when used with the newer (2014+) version. May we that's why they list two separate holsters. I tell ya, if I had the money for it i'd be all over a SDP, it's such a nice looking gun.

MountainRaven
04-20-16, 09:22
Thanks for the info, do you know if the slide on the SDP is the same as the P-07 duty version, or the newer P-07. I have both and they are different, enough that kydex holster molded on the Duty version can be very tight when used with the newer (2014+) version. May we that's why they list two separate holsters. I tell ya, if I had the money for it i'd be all over a SDP, it's such a nice looking gun.

The slides are very similar, but I doubt they're similar enough for what it looks like you're wanting to do with them.

MadAngler1
04-20-16, 13:10
Does anyone know of a source of night sights for the Sphinx?

Coal Dragger
04-20-16, 17:51
Right now Tooltech is probably your best bet. They can simply install Trijicon vials in the issue sights.

jwinch2
04-21-16, 08:31
Interesting to see that their prices have come down. At this point, there isn't much difference in cost between a stock CZ with the upgrades from someone like Cajun Gun Works and what I am seeing on the Sphinx website. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, as I have never shot a Sphinx, but the price point at this time is pretty much the same.

SkiDevil
04-21-16, 10:29
I handled the Sphinx compact model. It was a nice pistol and exuded quality.

For someone looking for a compact DA/SA auto it is a viable option.

balance
04-21-16, 11:32
Does anyone know if they are ever going to bring in the manual safety equipped model here?

teutonicpolymer
04-21-16, 21:07
Does anyone know if they are ever going to bring in the manual safety equipped model here?

I'm not sure what the deal with Sphinx is now- I was under the impression the real Sphinx recently folded and now Kriss is going to make them here in the USA but I am not 100% sure on that

It is a shame because I wanted to see their full size all steel competition oriented gun get made

MountainRaven
04-21-16, 21:49
I'm not sure what the deal with Sphinx is now- I was under the impression the real Sphinx recently folded and now Kriss is going to make them here in the USA but I am not 100% sure on that

It is a shame because I wanted to see their full size all steel competition oriented gun get made

KRISS-USA's website appears to indicate that the full-size SDP pistols are made in the US while most of the compact and "compact duty" pistols are made in Confoederatio Helvetica (Switzerland).

teutonicpolymer
04-22-16, 15:07
KRISS-USA's website appears to indicate that the full-size SDP pistols are made in the US while most of the compact and "compact duty" pistols are made in Confoederatio Helvetica (Switzerland).

I have a feeling that is just them failing to update the "older" models on the website but if true that makes no sense to me due to the import laws

hemiram
04-24-16, 03:38
I shot an AT2000 9mm a few years ago, and I have wanted one ever since. A friend has a stainless CZ75, and it might look like the Sphinx, but it's nothing like it. The present models don't interest me. But due to not having a lot of money to spend on a clone, I will probably buy a TriStar P120 long before I buy a Sphinx, or even a CZ.

carolvs
04-25-16, 16:13
I did some work for my dad today. He is now 80 so he can't exactly hang a HDTV on the wall.

I took his AT2000 out of the safe and snapped some pics with my phone.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Mobile%20Uploads/20140330_150118_zpscnlsqeog.jpg

Thanks for the pic. How's the thumb safety lever compared to the standard CZ75B? Always found the latter a bit small.

Digital_Damage
04-26-16, 07:09

I doubt it since they went bankrupt.

scubadds
05-05-16, 09:34
I have 2 SDP's compact black now, (one is threaded) had another that I sold to friend as he wanted it...

They are very accurate, easy to hit 100yd shots. At present there are no aftermarket sight options out that I am aware of. Cajun gun works can lighten that pull down. I have an acquaintance in town that sent his off and loves it.
I shot IDPA and steel challenge with mine several times. I am in contact with KRISS periodically, spoke with the regional sales rep last week and emailed him yesterday as I am ordering one for a friend.... They also have the Duty in now, that has a longer grip.
The lineup is a little confusing as there is a full steel frame version, a full aluminum frame and the half polymer version. There has been no rush from Sphinx to get the full size guns here yet. My latest email said they were a few months out. But I think it is out of Kriss's hands.

I have not shot a subcompact yet. But I did look at one yesterday

They take CZ-75 Mags also (mec-gar)....
My guns have been flawless; I left the VP9 last year to try the Sphinx.

Digital_Damage
05-05-16, 10:29
I have 2 SDP's compact black now, (one is threaded) had another that I sold to friend as he wanted it...

They are very accurate, easy to hit 100yd shots. At present there are no aftermarket sight options out that I am aware of. Cajun gun works can lighten that pull down. I have an acquaintance in town that sent his off and loves it.
I shot IDPA and steel challenge with mine several times. I am in contact with KRISS periodically, spoke with the regional sales rep last week and emailed him yesterday as I am ordering one for a friend.... They also have the Duty in now, that has a longer grip.
The lineup is a little confusing as there is a full steel frame version, a full aluminum frame and the half polymer version. There has been no rush from Sphinx to get the full size guns here yet. My latest email said they were a few months out. But I think it is out of Kriss's hands.

I have not shot a subcompact yet. But I did look at one yesterday

They take CZ-75 Mags also (mec-gar)....
My guns have been flawless; I left the VP9 last year to try the Sphinx.

If you are a big fan You will need to get what you can while you can, not sure if they told you or not but Sphinx is no more.

scubadds
05-05-16, 10:41
If you are a big fan You will need to get what you can while you can, not sure if they told you or not but Sphinx is no more.

I thought I saw that in the thread earlier, but wasn't sure; what's your source of information?

I will call them and see what's up with that....
Any details or weblink? They were tossing a gun in for the army field trials last I saw...

MountainRaven
05-05-16, 13:15
Swiss Sphinx has filed for bankruptcy under chapter 11, following the cancellation of a large government contract, per a statement issued by KRISS USA.

Further, Cajun Gun Works will no longer work on Sphinx pistols, although they do offer spring kits for them.

scubadds
05-05-16, 13:23
Wow, I had not heard any of that....thanks for that info....
I wonder how that will shake out...like Colt or will it hit the dust

40Arpent
02-22-17, 16:53

Apologies to the masses for the necro bump, but I figured that since I just bought a new production Swiss-made Sphinx SDP 9mm today, an update would be ok (especially considering the misinformation in this thread).

Sphinx is still in the business of manufacturing firearms, in Switzerland, with KRISS being the US importer. As for night sights, XS intro'd some at SHOT this year. There is also a dealer (Prepper Gun Shop) on GB selling Meprolights (exclusive deal he worked out with them) for Sphinx pistols.

Mrgunsngear
02-24-17, 10:54
Apologies to the masses for the necro bump, but I figured that since I just bought a new production Swiss-made Sphinx SDP 9mm today, an update would be ok (especially considering the misinformation in this thread).

Sphinx is still in the business of manufacturing firearms, in Switzerland, with KRISS being the US importer. As for night sights, XS intro'd some at SHOT this year. There is also a dealer (Prepper Gun Shop) on GB selling Meprolights (exclusive deal he worked out with them) for Sphinx pistols.

My new Sphinx comes in today (on the UPS truck now) so I can also confirm they're still coming in.

Feldgrun
02-25-17, 15:36
I went shooting with a couple of my friends who had strong opinions on their favorite 9mm handguns. One brought a SIG 229, and another brought a Sphinx SDP. I already had my opinion that the SIG would be the more accurate of the two, but was surprised at how much more accurately I shot the Sphinx. Four shots in nearly one hole at 10 yards. I was shocked. My M&P, Glock 19 & CZ75 were abysmal in comparison. I am strongly considering getting an SDP in the near future. If only they didn't cost about twice the price of a Glock, PPQ or CZ P10C (much anticipated).

My new Sphinx comes in today.

I look forward to another of your excellent reviews with the Sphinx SDP. Hopefully your stationary accuracy test confirms my experience with this gun.

Mrgunsngear
02-26-17, 09:30
http://i.imgur.com/PKY1Ww9l.jpg

Pilot1
02-26-17, 09:35
Sphinx has always had a reputation as one of the best, if not THE best CZ-75 based pistol. Built like a "swiss watch" is not just a cliché it seems. I am glad to hear they are still importing them.