PDA

View Full Version : Got an extra 5.56 suppressor...what to do with it?

shaneinhisroom
03-04-14, 18:38
So I ponied up some cash this today and bought a Surefire SOCOM 556 RC suppressor. I had a direct thread Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56 previously mounted but I wanted the option of a QD. That said, Now I have an extra suppressor and want to build something around that.

Of course I could build another AR, but I would need some hard convincing as I have three already and they are all purposeful builds. All my guns have some purpose, be it training, hunting, competition, etc. I don't own "cuz I can".

I would love to build a gun that would benefit from the direct thread on. I have been leaning towards a bolt action .223 but since I don't reload .223 I'm not so sure about that. It would serve as a nice trainer to my 6.5CM bolt gun though. I could go .22LR with the Savage Mark II FV but I hear the baffles gets gunked up fairly quick rendering this suppressor useless.

Do I have any other options?

nate89
03-05-14, 00:27
Aren't the Huntertown cans user-serviceable? While it's probably a little overkill for a .22, and probably bigger/heavier than it needs to be, the Kestrel should work great for a .22 LR.

shaneinhisroom
03-05-14, 07:41
They are but between bouts of full auto fire and never ever cleaning it I think I have welded the threads shut...I can't get it apart.

RHINOWSO
03-05-14, 09:05
The Kestrel is a big heavy suppressor, like a jar of pickles, not really good for a 22LR.

markm
03-05-14, 09:11
I've got a brand new M4-1000 08 model too. I want to do a .223 Rem 700 with it, but the idea of buying a good piece of glass always stops that project.

marZ1
03-05-14, 10:04
How about pinning it to a 10.5" barrel.

shaneinhisroom
03-05-14, 19:21
I've got a brand new M4-1000 08 model too. I want to do a .223 Rem 700 with it, but the idea of buying a good piece of glass always stops that project.

Agreed...that and I wish I reloaded.

I always thought that pinning a suppressor is a bad idea?

TehLlama
03-05-14, 22:46
How about pinning it to a 10.5" barrel.

It's only a bad idea because you've basically stuck that barrel and that can together - for something you're willing to mutually wear out, and 'clean' the can by just leaving that upper sat in a bucket of solvent, it's not a terrible idea... but still not that great an idea unless you're in a can friendly and SBR no-go state, not worth it.

Eurodriver
03-06-14, 08:21
OP, just keep it as a backup. When Can #1 wears out switch to Can#2. For something that is tied to you via a 9month wait and tax stamp, you can't really have an "extra" anything.

I've got a brand new 762SD. I want to do a .308 Rem700 with it, but the idea of buying a good piece of glass always stops that project.

As I know you're big in .308 guns, if it weren't so difficult to trade, I'd ask if you were interested.

marZ1
03-06-14, 09:02
It's only a bad idea because you've basically stuck that barrel and that can together - for something you're willing to mutually wear out, and 'clean' the can by just leaving that upper sat in a bucket of solvent, it's not a terrible idea... but still not that great an idea unless you're in a can friendly and SBR no-go state, not worth it.

Since it is serviceable you may not be able to do it anyway, but it is a direct thread therefore not easily swapped anyhow. I just posed the idea as another purpose specific option, a suppressed sbr for the truck without the extra stamp. The Ranger 3 is being marketed with this strategy in mind. 1 Stamp not 2. My M4-2000 may as well be pinned it never leaves the MK18. Just another idea.

markm
03-06-14, 09:04
I've got a brand new 762SD. I want to do a .308 Rem700 with it, but the idea of buying a good piece of glass always stops that project.

I'd swap you in a minute if it weren't two transfer stamps. :(

I run a mount on my .308 and borrow one of Pappabears 762SDNs now.

shaneinhisroom
03-06-14, 22:12
I have also been heavily leaning towards a bolt gun- the direct thread is just asking for it. I'd love a shorter barrel bolt suppressed, but it won't be economical to shoot since I do not reload .223, and plus I can't ever buy "budget" anything. My perfect scope for a good .223 bolt gun would be a MK6 3-18x...and that's too much coin for something I'll shoot once in a blue moon.

As mentioned a backup wouldn't work since everything has a QD brake/FH on it already. Decisions...

markm
03-07-14, 08:12
I have also been heavily leaning towards a bolt gun- the direct thread is just asking for it. I'd love a shorter barrel bolt suppressed, but it won't be economical to shoot since I do not reload .223, and plus I can't ever buy "budget" anything. My perfect scope for a good .223 bolt gun would be a MK6 3-18x...and that's too much coin for something I'll shoot once in a blue moon.

Shooting a suppressed .223 bolt gun is about as good as it gets. Real hearing safe without the port snap on a gas gun.

Pappabear's 20" 5R with a can is like shooting a 1000 yard pellet gun. No joke. It's that good.

marZ1
03-07-14, 08:44
I did the opposite. Traded into a Remington 700 SPS AAC with an Accupoint 3-9x40. Didn't have a can so I got the SDN6. That way it is multi use on the other rifles with 51T. Any thoughts on that optic for that rifle?

jpeezy
03-07-14, 17:18
My 2 cents, 223 bolt gun with the can. I have 2 kiddos at home who would love this setup, and it would be a good fun gun for them. It's all about the kids is what I tell my wife.

shaneinhisroom
03-07-14, 18:36
Man. It'll be a few years before I think about the kids...but I have to say. This is the overwhelming majority so far.

Devil's advocate: What about a 22LR? Why is the KEstrel bad for say a Savage MK II FV-SR? I would at least feed it match ammo, which is tons easier to find than bulk 22LR anyway.

Aries144
03-08-14, 18:33
ghjkl

Kudu22
03-10-14, 16:21
Get a used Rem 700 LTR and pull the barreled action and send it off to ADCO for threading. Run 69-72 gr bullets and I promise you will have as much fun if not more than your AR's.

86 slo-vo
03-10-14, 18:31
I'm pretty sure Huntertown Arms offers a fixit service for their cans. Being able to take the can apart would make using it for .22 a lot more attractive.

This. Fairly sure you can send it in and they will take care of it.

shaneinhisroom
03-10-14, 19:47
This is true. If nothing else I can use "the dip". Looks like this is the way to go, and I'll just have to slowly start to reload my own .223.

Thanks guys!

sandsunsurf
03-12-14, 00:40
Get a used Rem 700 LTR and pull the barreled action and send it off to ADCO for threading. Run 69-72 gr bullets and I promise you will have as much fun if not more than your AR's.

This, for sure. I have a Rem 700 LTR with a thread on Gemtech M4-02. It is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. And the Hornady match 75 gr rounds are super accurate if you don't reload.