PDA

View Full Version : Raven Moduloader & HGSI Taco Pistol Pouches to replace all?

acaixguard
03-04-14, 19:25
Does anyone use the RCS moduloader and the HGSI Taco pistol pouches for everyday carry? I'm starting to re-think my spare mag carry options, and this seems appealing to me because...

1. I don't have to keep buying new mag pouches for any new type of pistol I purchase, since the same pouch can fit most mags.
2. With the 3 finger Moduloader, I can alternate between carrying 1 or 2 pouches. I generally prefer just a single pouch, but will use a double for classes. Also, I could use a 2nd pouch for a flashlight.

For those who have used this type of setup, if I go with the pancake belt loops, will this be as concealable as the regular RCS mag pouches? How is the speed of drawing a mag during an emergency reload? Also, would the HGSI pouches work well for shorter mags like those for the M&P Shields?

Thanks in advance!

EzGoingKev
03-04-14, 22:02
I am thinking about setting up a moduloader with some Blue Force Gear Ten Speed pistol mag pouches.

BFG's pouches will fit all kinds of mags and stuff and I like how they lay flat when empty.

Endur
03-04-14, 23:16
I have been looking at these as well so I would like more info as well. I really want to get one for a double Esstac KYWI M4 pouch (it should work based off their webbing setup) w/ a paddle mount to keep in my truck for a active shooter or minimalist setup for the range. I can't wait until their first aid kit comes out utilizing the moduloader system; it looks nice.

Dave L.
03-05-14, 12:11
Anything that uses MALICE clips will already fit on a standard belt securely. I wear an EMDOM IAP (AR) on my 1.75" Cobra belt every day. That moduloader thingy is just a solution looking for a problem. I would save my money.

If I was going to use a nylon-type MOLLE pistol mag pouch, it would be an IAP. I have used the 10-speed stuff for extended periods of time in A-stan and as far as the rifle version goes, they are great with P-mags but the over-sized mags stretch the material which makes them too loose to use GI mags safely. The pistol version scare me. The IAP's have a rubberized material that add enough friction for safe retention and also have a small stiffener at the top to hold the mouth of the pouch open.

My experience comes from real world use, if you are gaming or just leaving it by the bed for the HD-hero scenario, they should work fine.

Endur
03-05-14, 12:20
I don't believe it is a solution looking for a problem at all. Not every new or different than what already works is a pseudo, mall ninja, tacti-fart, solution looking for a problem. Who wants to run around using malice clips that are loose and frigid? Not me. I wander how many called kydex holsters over leather, or molle over alice, a "solution looking for a problem?" Sometimes things are just better and innovative evolution. No point in fighting change for the better.

Shooterman017
03-05-14, 23:18
I have been using a setup with 2 pistol TACO pouches on RCS Moduloader and Pancake Wings for the last 4 months or so. Using it with my M&P fullsize in conjunction at times with an HSP INCOG, and as an EDC package with my Shield and 1911. Also with a Surefire G2X relatively frequently. Can't comment on how it conceals versus other options...but it conceals well enough for me wearing a hoodie or my Columbia jacket...I have to make sure my shirttail doesn't ride too high when I don't have a jacket on, and then I've been told that it just looks like a phone case or the like...think how someone carries an iPhone/Android device turned longways...not enough to draw undue attention, just the base of the pouches are revealed...YMMV.

With my Shield mags, I typically have the 8-round mag on the weapon and the 7-round for a reload. If I could have the 8-round mag in both places, I would...just haven't bought a second one yet...I prefer it as it does allow a better purchase when reaching for and removing it, but I also prefer how the 8 feels in hand versus the 7, especially on the draw...either way though, I don't have a terrible time with those mags. Just preferences.

Drawing for speed reloads on any magazine I've used on it is a non-issue for me. Personally speaking, for my use (EDC), I have had no issues with positive retention. Just cinch the shit down out of them when I pop the 1911 mags in...and give them a nudge from time to time when getting out of vehicles to be certain they aren't going anywhere.