PDA

View Full Version : Recce barrel break-in...

jakjakman
05-23-08, 03:13
I'll be shooting my new Noveske mid-length Recce this weekend for the first time and I'm curious about barrel break-in. I know a lot of people with a stainless barrel will clean it every few rounds when they first start shooting it, but is even done on a chromed barrel? Or would I be waisting my time? Personally I'd much rather start blazing away than swabbing the barrel every third shot.

razors
05-23-08, 03:28
You really wouldnt be gaining anything by cleaning after every shot with a chromed barrel.

AMMOTECH
05-23-08, 19:58
Just remember your not the first person to shoot rounds thru your new barrel.
They are proofed and test fired at the factory. ;)

RojasTKD
05-23-08, 20:01
My understanding is that Chromed barrels don't require a break-in.

Happy shooting & congrats an that fantastic Noveske (I want one).

jets4321
05-23-08, 20:24
What they said, and Awesome rifle!:)

Redmanfms
05-23-08, 20:42
My understanding is that Chromed barrels don't require a break-in.
Happy shooting & congrats an that fantastic Noveske (I want one).

Precision rifle barrels don't either......

;)

N4LtRecce
05-23-08, 21:33
This ought to answer any questions about Noveske bbl break in, as it's straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/care/

rubiconjp
05-23-08, 22:36
wow - from Noveske - never shoot a dry bore!

I have always wipe the bore completely clean of oil before shooting. I always thought that with oil in bore, the pressure might be higher. I guess I have to rethink that now.

jakjakman
05-23-08, 23:47
Thanks guys! I'll put some pics up for a range report when I'm all done. :)

eightmillimeter
05-24-08, 15:21
wow - from Noveske - never shoot a dry bore!

I have always wipe the bore completely clean of oil before shooting. I always thought that with oil in bore, the pressure might be higher. I guess I have to rethink that now.

When done cleaning I have always ran an oiled patch through the bore followed by one dry patch. This leaves a very thin film of oil in the bore. Then I always pull the rod guide and make sure the chamber itself it clean and bone dry, you don't want oil in the chamber itself, that can be a little bad sometimes.

Dave L.
05-24-08, 15:31
Precision rifle barrels don't either......

;)

I'm with you on this!