PDA

View Full Version : New SR-15 IWS E3 Carbine MOD2 on KAC's site

Tacti-square
03-05-14, 10:51

I just have the two images on slideshow mode :P They even put "pretty photo" at the end of the web address name haha.

From the site (http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/sr-15-iws-e3-carbine-mod-2/?cate_cm=commercial&term=sr-15&features=sr-15-iws-e3-carbine-mod-2#!prettyPhoto):

The Mod 2 update introduces several notable features to the SR15 IWS line: a URX4 handguard with Keymod accessory mounting points for-ancillary device attachments increases cooling characteristics and reduces weight and bulk compared with standard 1913 rail attachment methods. A Mod 2 gas system with a proprietary design minimizes leakage and ensures more consistent operation in harsh conditions. A gas block secured with a locking ring instead of taper pins increases barrel rigidity and eliminates the need to custom fit the gas block to the barrel. Included parts and features, such as the two-sided receiver end plate QD sling swivel mounting point, collapsible six-position SOPMOD stock, hybrid ambidextrous selector lever, and folding 200-600 meter sights, round out the package to deliver a cutting-edge carbine right out of the case.

_Stormin_
03-05-14, 14:15
Definitely interesting to see the next generation from KAC. One thing troubles me:

to deliver a cutting-edge carbine right out of the case

That's still rocking a terrible A2 grip. Why are these things even made anymore? A base MOE is what, NINE BUCKS?

JBecker 72
03-05-14, 14:22
I like it!

Definitely interesting to see the next generation from KAC. One thing troubles me:

That's still rocking a terrible A2 grip. Why are these things even made anymore? A base MOE is what, NINE BUCKS?

I believe it was either F2S or KevinB who said something to the effect of "The A2 grip is there because it's impossible to make everyone happy in that regard. So rather than try to make everyone happy, we put the cheapest option on there and if you don't like it, change it."

masakari
03-05-14, 14:22
yeah I agree about the pistol grip... ship it with a BCM MOD3 and its good to go right there.
looks like an excellent carbine though.

kdcgrohl
03-05-14, 14:29
I believe it was either F2S or KevinB who said something to the effect of "The A2 grip is there because it's impossible to make everyone happy in that regard. So rather than try to make everyone happy, we put the cheapest option on there and if you don't like it, change it."

Kinda like the sights on a Glock.

TurretGunner
03-05-14, 15:16

There is nothing wrong with the A2 grip. It has worked for years. The grip has little to do with performance and is more about aestetics of the gun.

Like has been said dozens of times, buy what you want and stick it on there. Bitching about a $30 part on a $2K rifle is just silly. Not everyone likes the MOE, Not everyone likes the BCM, not everyone likes the Ergo or Tangodown. Everyone has used an A2.

JBecker 72
03-05-14, 15:18
yeah I agree about the pistol grip... ship it with a BCM MOD3 and its good to go right there.
looks like an excellent carbine though.

Except I've used the BCM grips and find them to be less comfortable than the MOE. So if I were to buy a rifle with anything other than a MOE or an Ergo grip, I would change it.

mtdawg169
03-05-14, 16:01
I like it!

Bingo. It's a place holder.

TehLlama
03-05-14, 16:05
I've wound up throwing MOE grips on my SR-15 lowers, but in the grand scheme of parts, it's something I'm absolutely willing to forgive because that's such an easy change to make.

_Stormin_
03-05-14, 20:49
Bitching about a $30 part on a $2K rifle is just silly.

It's not aesthetics, the grip width and angle are an important part of the rifle. Not saying that the A2 doesn't work, but if you're spending that kind of money you shouldn't have to change anything. A Ferrari doesn't roll out of the showroom on steel wheels with the owner expected to pick up the alloys afterwards.

It's not a $30 part, an A2 is a $2 part. Putting a POS $2 grip on a rifle well north of $2K is just silly. BCM doesn't do it, Colt offers to sell you one without the A2 as well, but KAC at double the price gets a pass?

scoutfsu99
03-05-14, 21:22
A) People like the A2.
B) If they don't like the A2, they're going to put the grip they prefer on it. Whether its a magpul grip, BCM, Umbrella, or whatever.
C) The KAC rifle isn't well north of $2k. It hovers around the $2k range depending on deals you can find.

If the A2 grip is stopping someone from buying an SR then they never really intended to buy it.

scouts out
03-05-14, 21:47
A) People like the A2.
B) If they don't like the A2, they're going to put the grip they prefer on it. Whether its a magpul grip, BCM, Umbrella, or whatever.
C) The KAC rifle isn't well north of $2k. It hovers around the $2k range depending on deals you can find.

If the A2 grip is stopping someone from buying an SR then they never really intended to buy it.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! This.

_Stormin_
03-05-14, 23:32
Meh... I don't exactly need my opinion validated by others for it to remain the same. It seems like an unnecessary oversight. Especially when KAC could make their own grip and probably sell the hell out of them anyway.

HD1911
03-06-14, 00:20
A) People like the A2.

Be careful with that Logic and Common Sense...

wilson1911
03-06-14, 17:32
I will agree that Kac needs to have a bit better pricing. This is coming from a guy that thinks its the best AR on the market. The last shim kit I bought was 12.95 and the shipping was 17.00. To top all this off, it came usps.

Love their guns, hate the prices on stuff.

BufordTJustice
03-06-14, 18:01
F*ck the noise about the A2 grip, I'm interested in the gas system and gas block mods.

veeklog
03-06-14, 18:55
I will tell you, that with the KAC Trigger Guard the A2 pistol grip is pretty comfortable. I put the KAC trigger guard on one of my Colt lowers and I didn't even bother to change out my pistol grip with the extra MOE + I had because it felt great.

But I will agree that if you don't like it change it out; the most it will cost is an extra $30 USD for either a BCM or Magpul MIAD.

scooter22
03-06-14, 19:03
There is nothing wrong with the A2 grip. It has worked for years. The grip has little to do with performance and is more about aestetics of the gun.

Like has been said dozens of times, buy what you want and stick it on there. Bitching about a $30 part on a $2K rifle is just silly. Not everyone likes the MOE, Not everyone likes the BCM, not everyone likes the Ergo or Tangodown. Everyone has used an A2.

Riiiiiiiight...

TurretGunner
03-06-14, 20:44
Riiiiiiiight...

Let me guess, you have a house full of monster cables, Dyson Vacumms and Bose sound equipment?

Brahmzy
03-06-14, 20:54
Let me guess, you have a house full of monster cables, Dyson Vacumms and Bose sound equipment?

F Bose and Monster Cable, but I love my freakin Dyson! Helluva vacuum.

_Stormin_
03-06-14, 21:00

Never intended to derail things from the rifle to just being a grip argument... The merits of other grips over the A2, has been debated already. You think it's snake oil? Good for you, stick with the A2 on your rifle. You've got one, do you need us to validate every element of your purchase? (I know you don't) There's no need to level personal attacks.

My point was that KAC makes high end parts, and high end rifles. They slap a nasty cheap grip on it (OK, maybe the nasty parts opinion, but the cheapness can't be debated). They could, and should step it up a bit.

Make a damn KAC door kicker grip out of "advanced high pressure moulded polymers," charge $50 for them individually, and make them standard on the SR rifles. They'll be constantly sold out at all dealers immediately. People go about as nuts for KAC gear as they do for Noveske stuff (and Noveske is putting a decent grip on their rifle).

TurretGunner
03-06-14, 21:15
Never intended to derail things from the rifle to just being a grip argument... The merits of other grips over the A2, has been debated already. You think it's snake oil? Good for you, stick with the A2 on your rifle. You've got one, do you need us to validate every element of your purchase? (I know you don't) There's no need to level personal attacks.

My point was that KAC makes high end parts, and high end rifles. They slap a nasty cheap grip on it (OK, maybe the nasty parts opinion, but the cheapness can't be debated). They could, and should step it up a bit.

Make a damn KAC door kicker grip out of "advanced high pressure moulded polymers," charge $50 for them individually, and make them standard on the SR rifles. They'll be constantly sold out at all dealers immediately. People go about as nuts for KAC gear as they do for Noveske stuff (and Noveske is putting a decent grip on their rifle).

Its not an arguement. In fact, I use the MOE and BCM grips on most of my guns. Ran a Tangodown on a m16a2 in iraq. They are user preference and have LITTLE to no performance difference. They don't make my gun run better, or me shoot faster or more accurate. They are just different.

There have been a bunch of members who have said the exact same thing, including our very own Mods/Industry Reps from KAC as to why they come with the A2. Its a preference thing. There is nothing wrong with the A2, its not crappy or nasty... its a proven weapon componet. Cheapness and something being inexpesnive are not the same thing. Your posts make it sound like you are infering that they are junk (when they are solid, proven, reliable parts).

You don't think KAC has done an assesment to see if making a grip would be viable? You do know they made the SOPMOD stock for LMT among other things... I think they might know a little bit more about it than you think.

Where would you rather KAC's time and R&D money to go...... making one more grip that does little or more reliable/refined/lightweight weapons parts that actually do have a benefit?

KAC is the ONE AR that you cannot build. There is a reason people who build ALL their AR's, still buy SR15/25's, and many run as primary guns. Lets assume they know what they are doing.

_Stormin_
03-06-14, 21:24
Actually the angle at which you hold your wrist, in combination with LOP, can be a very dramatic difference. If you want to have a grip debate about ergonomics, PM me rather than adding it to the thread.

scooter22
03-06-14, 21:30
Actually the angle at which you hold your wrist, in combination with LOP, can be a very dramatic difference. If you want to have a grip debate about ergonomics, PM me rather than adding it to the thread.

Exactly.

This thread has already gone to shit.

jmanrogers
03-06-14, 22:07
The A2 grip has never caused me to buy or to not buy an AR that I liked/wanted. However, I'm not a fan of the keymod rails that KAC switched over to.
The keymod system can't be significantly lighter than some of the standard rail systems made today. Most are going to put rail covers on the rail system anyway, so why not stay with something that works.
One has to wonder if the keymod system will even be around anymore in 5yrs. Just my opinion!

OFF the SUBJECT - I personally feel that KAC screwed up by doing away w/ the SR-25 ECC with the URX 3.1 configuration and dimpled barrel.
This rifle has only been out for about 1 1/2yrs and sold like crazy if and when you could find one for sale. Now they're switching over to the new E2 model w/ keymod and straight barrel.
You can bet that anyone w/ a KAC SR-25 ECC NIB or like new will be able to sale it for $6500-$7000 in about a year from now.

Piston10
03-06-14, 22:21
The A2 grip has never caused me to buy or to not buy an AR that I liked/wanted. However, I'm not a fan of the keymod rails that KAC switched over to.
The keymod system can't be significantly lighter than some of the standard rail systems made today. Most are going to put rail covers on the rail system anyway, so why not stay with something that works.
One has to wonder if the keymod system will even be around anymore in 5yrs. Just my opinion!

OFF the SUBJECT - I personally feel that KAC screwed up by doing away w/ the SR-25 ECC with the URX 3.1 configuration and dimpled barrel.
This rifle has only been out for about 1 1/2yrs and sold like crazy if and when you could find one for sale. Now they're switching over to the new E2 model w/ keymod and straight barrel.
You can bet that anyone w/ a KAC SR-25 ECC NIB or like new will be able to sale it for $6500-$7000 in about a year from now.

And they will sell the mod 2 like crazy.

jmanrogers
03-06-14, 22:25
And they will sell the mod 2 like crazy.

TRUE - because it's a KAC!

Tacti-square
03-07-14, 01:46
I'm really disappointed in you people. All you can do is complain about the stupid grip, like it even matters, instead of discussing the MOD 2 changes. What's next, are you gonna complain that it ships with a STANAG instead of a Lancer? Grow up, kids.

scooter22
03-07-14, 01:55

You're kidding right?

_Stormin_
03-07-14, 09:45
What's next, are you gonna complain that it ships with a STANAG instead of a Lancer?

Actually, it ships with a STANAG 4179 metal magazine. STANAG is actually just an abbreviation for a NATO STANdardization AGreement. There's a shitload of them. This particular one deals only with dimensions of a magazine, so that NATO countries can share magazines on the battlefield.

A Lancer mag is also a STANAG 4179 magazine as it shares the same critical dimensions. Ten rounders, twenty rounders, thirty rounders and beyond can all fall under 4179.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/janypu2u.jpg

Tacti-square
03-07-14, 11:30
Seriously, you people are just grown men with guns who act like children.

Tacti-square
03-07-14, 11:31
Actually, it ships with a STANAG 4179 metal magazine. STANAG is actually just an abbreviation for a NATO STANdardization AGreement. There's a shitload of them. This particular one deals only with dimensions of a magazine, so that NATO countries can share magazines on the battlefield.

A Lancer mag is also a STANAG 4179 magazine as it shares the same critical dimensions. Ten rounders, twenty rounders, thirty rounders and beyond can all fall under 4179.

Thanks for being a smartass. Guess I gotta spell everything out for you kids. Just replace stanag with aluminum and you get my point

03scgt
03-07-14, 13:57
look at it this way the sr15 is so good straight from the factory all we can bitch about is the grip lol

skatz11
03-07-14, 14:08
If you can afford an SR15 changing to a grip of choice is no big deal.

I'm a huge fan of the E3 and Mod1 models, can't wait to get my hands on a new one with there URX 4.

hk_shootr
09-16-14, 08:27
...... can't wait to get my hands on a new one with there URX 4.

You WILL love it......:neo:

foxtrotx1
09-16-14, 10:15
KAC makes this awesome rifle and we argue about a $2 piece of plastic. Did TOS get shut down?

Boba Fett v2
09-16-14, 19:45
For the Mod 2, I would prefer the rail to not extend all the way to the muzzle device. I don't shoot like Costa, so i don't need all that extra rail. Looks good on a carbine/SBR, just not on a 16" gun. Aesthetics aside, I'd wait for the 14.5" Mod 2 Carbine.