PDA

View Full Version : What does the Sig P239 have to offer?

Talon167
03-05-14, 11:05
This little gun has always intrigued me. Seems like a package looking for a place. I don't see them around much and I don't see too many pictures of them in the pic threads. They only hold eight rounds of 9mm and seven rounds of 40/357s. And they are not cheap. $850+ from what I've seen. It's a single stack gun that's actually .020" wider than a G19.

I am sure they are good little guns, and I am sure there are people out there who have them and like them... just seems like they are looking for their niche. Doesn't seem to do anything particularly well. Maybe I'm missing something. I guess it's one of the smaller DA/SA guns around, competing with the P2000SK...

Who has one that likes it... or doesn't. :cool:

SiGfever
03-05-14, 11:22
I have owned both and prefer the P2000SK. But both are fine firearms. Mine were a P239 .40 DA/SA, and I also had a P2000Sk in .40 and one in 9mm, both in LEM.

Symmetry
03-05-14, 11:24
This little gun has always intrigued me. Seems like a package looking for a place. I don't see them around much and I don't see too many pictures of them in the pic threads. They only hold eight rounds of 9mm and seven rounds of 40/357s. And they are not cheap. $850+ from what I've seen. It's a single stack gun that's actually .020" wider than a G19.

I am sure they are good little guns, and I am sure there are people out there who have them and like them... just seems like they are looking for their niche. Doesn't seem to do anything particularly well. Maybe I'm missing something. I guess it's one of the smaller DA/SA guns around, competing with the P2000SK...

Compared to more modern offerings, I suppose they are a less than ideal choice for many. I have been issued the 9mm and .40 versions in the past for plain cloths ops. They are very light in recoil compared to other guns of their size, they are super accurate, and super reliable. The grip angle is less steep for better feeding from the magazine, so compared to a standard sized Sig your point of aim gets dropped a tad with the P239. I really disliked the factor plastic grips, so Hogue wrap-arounds are a must. The slide is fairly thick, but when it comes to concealing the more important part of the gun is the thinness of the grip which the P239 does well. As far as Sigs go, the P239 conceals better than a P228/P229.

l8apex
03-05-14, 11:38
If you are issued a SIG 228/229/226 the 239 makes sense for off duty or plain clothes. If you aren't bound to it, there are other viable options i.e. P2SK and G26/27/19/23. I've owned one and it's was truly a laser, however I've always leaned more towards Glock and recently MP in this size for weight, capacity and the ability to carry & use G17/22 mags.

davidjinks
03-05-14, 11:57
When I carried SIG this was the gun that got carried daily, locally and on the road I carried a P229 both in .357 SIG.

It was small enough for appendix carry, no print and comfortable but large enough to get a full grip and control recoil. Extremely accurate, reliable and it handled the .357 SIG cartridge well.

Though it was short on capacity that didn't matter all that much to me. What I was concerned about was how well it performed, reliability and longevity of the actual gun. My main carry load was the Speer 125 Gr. GDHP. I carried that gun daily in all types of weather/environmental conditions. I never had any issues with rust or failures from said conditions. At the time I was a firm believer in shoot what you carry in regards to ammunition. So it was fed a steady diet of 125 Gr. GDHP weekly (If I only had the ability to do that now…).

By the time I made the switch to Glock, I had recorded 11,453 rounds down the tube. The only parts that were replaced in the gun were; trigger spring and decocker spring. My normal maintenance consisted of standard cleaning and lubing of the gun and replacement recoil springs at the 2500 round mark. At the time my lube choice was standard CLP.

There were no signs of galling, splitting or chipping of the frame. The rails were worn but completely within spec and serviceable. Barrel lug was solid and showed no signs of deformation. I tried the grease thing on the rails but I didn't find that it did anything better for me than what my maintenance standards already did for me.

If I didn't move away from SIG I would still be carrying this gun. The only reason I moved to Glock was because of the easy user friendly design, parts and (For me) it was idiot proof.

I don't think you can go wrong with a P239 IMHO for daily carry. I would recommend it in either 9 or .357 SIG. I found that the 40 was intolerable to shoot out of that gun. Surprisingly the .357 SIG was very smooth and the recoil was very manageable. YMMV

Sry0fcr
03-05-14, 12:47
just seems like they are looking for their niche.

I don't know that it's looking for a niche so much as it's niche has been filled with better hardware over the last last couple decades. I used to want one in a bad way back when having something "different" was important to me.

signal4l
03-05-14, 13:33
I carried one off duty for a few years before switching to a P228 or G19. The weight to firepower ratio wasn't that great. 8 +1 rounds of 9mm in that heavy and thick of a gun didn't make sense to me. My biggest complaint was the difficulty I had in pulling off a smooth reload. The skinny mags/magwell were not designed for speed. I have a much easier time stuffing a tapered mag into a mag well.

The M&P Shield makes much more sense.

TurretGunner
03-05-14, 13:55
The real question is, what does ANY sig pistol have to offer (Other than the P210)?

walkin' trails
03-05-14, 14:27
I liked the p225 better, though I realize it had a larger grip.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

teutonicpolymer
03-05-14, 20:57
The real question is, what does ANY sig pistol have to offer (Other than the P210)?

I think the german made p226, p220, p228, and p229 have something to offer as far as da/sa guns go

bzdog
03-05-14, 21:15
I carried a P239 in 9mm DA/SA for many years. It's small but full featured, very accurate and reliable. Never a hiccup or mis-step in all those years.

That said, it's weight to round ratio isn't that good. I eventually replaced mine with an HK P2000SK in 9mm DA/SA and haven't looked back. Just as reliable, just as accurate and the SK fully loaded with 10+1 is lighter than the P239 empty. And the SK accepts full capacity P30 magazines.

It was good in it's time, but today I think there are better options.

-john

nova3930
03-05-14, 22:25
I don't know that it's looking for a niche so much as it's niche has been filled with better hardware over the last last couple decades. I used to want one in a bad way back when having something "different" was important to me.

I was going to say the same. Had one back in college I picked up off a buddy for a song. IMO it's a great, reliable pistol it's just obsolescent given recent advances in pistol design. Kinda like how a S&W Model 15 is still a damn fine gun but it wouldn't be your first choice for duty use given the fact Glocks, M&Ps, etc etc exist.

CRAMBONE
03-06-14, 02:53
My wife likes it, that what it offers us. She hates my Glocks and prefers the DA/SA of her 239. She shoots it fairly well and I think she likes to flaunt that I bought her a Sig. I might try to find her a 228 as she doesn't carry on her person (yet). Her 239 is a car/night stand pistol.

TurretGunner
03-06-14, 06:10
I think the german made p226, p220, p228, and p229 have something to offer as far as da/sa guns go

For the same money you can get into an HK, which exclipses the SIG line.

Like you said, unless you buy an older german gun, you are pissing your money down a hole.

Apricotshot
03-06-14, 07:41
I honestly don't understand why anyone would still use a DA/SA pistol for defense anymore. All you have to do is a few drills using a striker/and or SA VS. a DA/SA and you'll see the results on paper and on the time clock. Issued guns I see there is no choice obviously,so get proficient.

TurretGunner
03-06-14, 15:13
I guess some like the ability of follow up shots should the round not go off.

I am a big fan of the HK light LEM after getting a couple of them. Good, glock like predictable trigger with the ability to still make a shot after the spring is decomressed.

Linkscoach
03-06-14, 15:36
I honestly don't understand why anyone would still use a DA/SA pistol for defense anymore. All you have to do is a few drills using a striker/and or SA VS. a DA/SA and you'll see the results on paper and on the time clock. Issued guns I see there is no choice obviously,so get proficient.

Sig triggers are a love them or hate them system. I absolutely love Sigs short reset DA/SA trigger. I also like the ability to ride the hammer into the holster for AIWB. That being said I've transitioned to Glocks for carry simply because of the weight savings. I've also found that I can shoot a Glock just fine compared to a Sig.

harm
03-06-14, 15:58
I love that its a compact pistol that is actually fun too shoot. I've run it hard, fast and long, carried and shoot till it was dirty never had a failure in 5k rds. I ended up selling it due to financial issues but the gun is the Rockstar of compacts and sub compacts. Not many you'd want to shoot 500 rds in one day in. The 239 is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TurretGunner
03-06-14, 16:42
G26 wants to play....

MAUSER202
03-06-14, 22:41
I have carried a p239 for about 12 years, and recently switched to a ppq. I like metal framed pistols but the ppq feels like it was made for me, and i can shoot it better than any other pistol. I feel the 239 is a solid pistol that only lacks capacity, I found the weight to be a positive for shooting and felt it concealed well . I have owned 2 and both were very accurate and dead reliable. As far as the sig hate out of 5 Sig's I have owned, only 1 German, the only one I had issues with was the mosquito. It was junk but the others, even the US made ones performed flawlessly. YMMV.

RWH24
03-07-14, 01:46
My 239 9mm was off duty to my 226 9mm for 12 years. Then I retired. Shield 9 came along and the 239 was pushed further back in the safe. The 239 is a very accurate pistol and shot well with GDHP 124gr +P. It shot well with every thing I fed it. My wife may take my Shield, so the 239 and I will get re-aquainted. It is FLAT, Smooth DA/SA FCG. The Trijicon night sights are DEAD/RIP. I am looking at options for new sighting system....XS, Ameriglo, Trijicon ?? IDK yet.

walkin' trails
03-07-14, 06:40
RWH - the Trijicon HDs deserve a good look. They combine some good features. I played with a set recently and was impressed. The front sight really stands out. The rear is a serrated face U notch. They make them for SIGs, but they are a bit pricy. I used XS Big Dots for a while, but had a hard time getting used to that shallow V rear sight. The HDs are the same concept, but allow for a more traditional sight picture for longer range shots.

gtmtnbiker98
03-07-14, 09:11
I disagree with this statement. It's the shooter, not the gun that limits 99.9% of shooting performance. I see virtually zero difference in splits when shooting a Walther PPQ and a SIG P226. Many people piss all over DA/SA due to their inability to handle that first DA shot. I will say, SFA pistols are more forgiving for the lesser skilled.

Apricotshot
03-07-14, 10:49
I disagree with this statement. It's the shooter, not the gun that limits 99.9% of shooting performance. I see virtually zero difference in splits when shooting a Walther PPQ and a SIG P226. Many people piss all over DA/SA due to their inability to handle that first DA shot. I will say, SFA pistols are more forgiving for the lesser skilled.

Or just easier to operate off the bat.

Talon167
03-07-14, 11:32
I guess some like the ability of follow up shots should the round not go off.

I am a big fan of the HK light LEM after getting a couple of them. Good, glock like predictable trigger with the ability to still make a shot after the spring is decomressed.

Agreed. Best of both worlds, IMO.

pat701
03-07-14, 21:12
Bet your life on it reliability, enough said IMHO:cool:.

Magic_Salad0892
03-07-14, 22:30
Or just easier to operate off the bat.

I disagree.

And actually I think an exposed hammer gun beats the hell out of striker fired gun 100% of the time.

davidjinks
03-08-14, 16:26
Would you expand upon the statement in bold?

I disagree.

And actually I think an exposed hammer gun beats the hell out of striker fired gun 100% of the time.

Bulldog7972
03-08-14, 17:07
I have carried a 239 off duty for years. I decided to replace it earlier this year with a Glock 19 because it seems that everyone loves that gun and it was ballyhooed as the ultimate combat pistol. I found that the G19 is not all it has been reported to be. I recently dumped it and went back to my 239. A ten round gun with a nine round backup mag is more than enough for off duty use. Some complain about the weight and size of the 239 for the amount of bullets it carries. I view those considerations as a plus. It is a small gun that shoots like a big gun.

Anjin-san
03-09-14, 11:16
My agency issues the P226R-9mm so the P239 is a natural choice for off duty carry. I have one that was made in early 1996, which is the year the P239 came out. With Hogue finger groove grips I can run it almost as fast as I do my P226R. As stated above, the weight makes it very shootable. I think that Sig struck a great balance with size vs "shootability". There are many small single stack 9mm guns on the market today. In my opinion the P239 is the most shootable and handles closest to a full size.

Lastly, I too like the exposed hammer as I appendix carry it in a 3 speed holster. I like riding the hammer when I holster it.

Two rules in a gun fight.

1. Someone is going to lose.
2. I'm going to win.

Apricotshot
03-10-14, 06:39
I disagree.

I can't see how you can think that at all. I mean really. It's like instead of using my washer and dryer at home, I go down to the lake with a washboard and bar of soap and scrub and hang dry my laundry kind of retarded.

Symmetry
03-10-14, 07:44
I can't see how you can think that at all. I mean really. It's like instead of using my washer and dryer at home, I go down to the lake with a washboard and bar of soap and scrub and hang dry my laundry kind of retarded.

I have going to have to agree with you on that. I have been issued or owed M9s and Sigs since the mid 1990s. With two hand support I would say that a skilled DA/SA shooter can match a skilled striker fired shooter pretty well in speed and accuracy on the first shot. However, it gets considerably more difficult to keep that first DA shot fast and accurate while shooting single handed. Length of trigger pull plays a huge role in inherent accuracy, and the longer and harder the pull the harder it is to maintain good performance. A half cocked or SA trigger is far easier to shoot well one handed than in any DA or DAO mode.

Apricotshot
03-10-14, 09:07
I have going to have to agree with you on that. I have been issued or owed M9s and Sigs since the mid 1990s. With two hand support I would say that a skilled DA/SA shooter can match a skilled striker fired shooter pretty well in speed and accuracy on the first shot. However, it gets considerably more difficult to keep that first DA shot fast and accurate while shooting single handed. Length of trigger pull plays a huge role in inherent accuracy, and the longer and harder the pull the harder it is to maintain good performance. A half cocked or SA trigger is far easier to shoot well one handed than in any DA or DAO mode.

What does having a second hand on the gun help you just pull a trigger? All the support hand does is help stabilize your aim and aid in recoil management. Go out and time yourselves and measure your groups. Run a striker gun then run a DA/SA gun, run it from the holster. You should see the results pretty plainly like I have. As most here I had to run one in the past, be it a M9 or someother flavor. DA/SA is for the most part is pretty antiquated at this moment in time considering there are better options out there now.

Amur
03-10-14, 09:41
I have owned a 239 and other common carry guns such as a PPS, G26, 2000sk

It's a decent gun.

Pros:
- while heavier than other options, it's smaller grip and single stack size make it a decent carry
- for a Carry gun, it has really nice typical sig trigger (if you like DA/SA or can dig the DAK thing)
- generally a reliable gun. While sig is out of favor these days mine ran great and you do not hear about alot of 239 problems
- accurate weapon and I think a good shooter for something in a carry package

Cons: only real cons are when comparing to other weapons froma size/wieght/capacity standpoint. It's bigger/heavier and holds a few less rounds. On the other hand I could shoot my 239 better than a G26.

I no longer own one and dont really have any interest it. But if you like the sig manual of arms. I think it can be quite a nice carry gun. I has typical sig's smooths lines, smooth feeling slide and smooth trigger

Anjin-san
03-10-14, 10:21
I think the comment regarding the exposed hammer may have to do with reholstering. When off duty I carry AIWB in a 3 Speed holster. I like being able to place my thumb on the rear of the slide next to the hammer. It allows me to feel any movement in the hammer (ie, if the trigger was caught on something, etc).

Two rules in a gun fight.

1. Someone is going to lose.
2. I'm going to win.

Noodle
04-25-14, 07:21
I have a P239 in .40. For its size, it handles the recoil of a .40 very well. Extremely accurate with a decent trigger. A bonus is my girlfriend likes the small size and shoots it well. Larger capacity would be nice, but this gun will stay in my collection.

Psalms144.1
04-25-14, 07:50
I've owned personal P239s in 9mm, and was briefly issued a P239 DAK in .40. I have none of them anymore. For me, they don't fit any role in my carry models. They are slim and slick, so nice to carry IWB, but dreadfully heavy. The Nitron finish on the ones I owned was not very rust resistant. Capacity is limited. Many shooters using a modern thumbs forward grip or just having M-L hands will find they inadvertently "ride" the slide stop lever, causing the slide to go forward over an empty magazine.

When all is said and done, if I NEED something more "concealable" than my G19, my preference is for the Kahr PM9 or P9.

l8apex
04-25-14, 16:09
With SFA choices like the slim Shield out, I would be hard pressed to choose the P239 unless not having a choice. Even with LEO/Mil discount, the Shield will be considerably less. Coupled with SFA trigger, same capacity, light weight..pretty much answers it for me. As someone already mentioned, try some DA/SA drills one handed - that will make anyone who's not a sponsored shooter rethink it.

HardToHandle
04-25-14, 16:19
I've owned personal P239s in 9mm, and was briefly issued a P239 DAK in .40. I have none of them anymore. For me, they don't fit any role in my carry models. They are slim and slick, so nice to carry IWB, but dreadfully heavy. The Nitron finish on the ones I owned was not very rust resistant. Capacity is limited. Many shooters using a modern thumbs forward grip or just having M-L hands will find they inadvertently "ride" the slide stop lever, causing the slide to go forward over an empty magazine.

When all is said and done, if I NEED something more "concealable" than my G19, my preference is for the Kahr PM9 or P9.

Very similar to my experience with 239 in 9mm. The P239 was an okay gun, but a rotary phone in a smart phone world. It still works, as does a $100-something Hi-Point, but everything else is more versatile and more optimized package.

I did not experience any rusting issues but the slide stop and other issues undermined my confidence in the gun.

I was interested to read the law enforcement uses of the gun in this thread. In my area, our state intelligence agents were the only agency I was aware of that ever issued a P239. Nor did my officers purchase them as an off-duty or back-ups, likely due to price. As many have stated, for the price, the options today are much improved over almost 15 years ago.

Rinspeed
04-25-14, 19:50
The 239 is the perfect size for me and I'm glad Sig didn't try to make it hold more rounds.

RWH24
04-25-14, 23:21
RWH - the Trijicon HDs deserve a good look. They combine some good features. I played with a set recently and was impressed. The front sight really stands out. The rear is a serrated face U notch. They make them for SIGs, but they are a bit pricy. I used XS Big Dots for a while, but had a hard time getting used to that shallow V rear sight. The HDs are the same concept, but allow for a more traditional sight picture for longer range shots.

I have the Trijicon HD Orange on my M&P9 Full Size. Just now getting used to them. They are on the short list as a replacement set.

walkin' trails
04-26-14, 05:48
I have the Trijicon HD Orange on my M&P9 Full Size. Just now getting used to them. They are on the short list as a replacement set.

I recently installed a set with the Orange dot in my G26. The rear went on with a Glock sight pusher, although I had to remove the screw that is used to snug the top of a sight in the clamp. Other than that, they went on like a set of Trijicons. Haven't really shot it much other than confirming my zero. No complaints thusfar.

Bulldog7972
04-29-14, 09:59

There was a gun show on tv last year, Top Shot or something like it. They pitted a Navy SEAL armed with a 226 against an Israeli commando armed with a G17 in a timed shoot. The Navy SEAL won. Not by much but he won. Its the man behind the trigger gents, not the gun.

jnc36rcpd
04-30-14, 18:13
We offer the 239 as an option for detectives and for those with smaller hands. The detectives largely prefer the 226 that is standard issue. Of the three officers with smaller hands, one went back to a 226 with the EE grips.

I carried the 239 as a back-up gun for a while. It is somewhat more concealable than the 226 or 229, but unless you want the same manual of arms as the duty pistol, I think there are better options.

zeke4351
05-04-14, 10:43
I have a P239 in .357 Sig and I also have a .40 barrel for it. I love this gun but see no need to have one if 9mm is what you are going to carry in it. The gun is too heavy for the softer shooting 9mm. For full power .357 Sig or full power .40 the P239 is the smallest gun I know of that will handle the hot stuff and be comfortable to shoot. The gun was made for a smaller backup to the .357 Sig P229 that the Feds carry. It is over kill for 9mm but a 9mm factory barrel will work in it if you want to shoot it. I don't know of any other gun that is smaller in size and chambered in .357 Sig. The Shield and XDS in .40 S&W are too light for shooting very much using the hot LE loads. By hot I am talking 155 grain Speer Gold Dot in their fastest version. They make 2 different speeds and also 2 different speeds of 125 grain .357 Sig. The general public for the most part shoots much weaker ammo than some of the large LE agencies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk