PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sensitive powders chart or list.

SteveS
03-05-14, 18:45
I am trying to find out which pistol and rifle powders are the least temperature sensitive.
thanks in advance.

thopkins22
03-05-14, 18:59
Hodgdon's Extreme powders use temperature insensitivity as one of their main advertising pillars...which probably means that single base extruded powders in general handle temperature fluctuations better. I don't have experience with most of them, but it's certainly pretty true with Varget. I built my .308 load with Varget here in TX at ~80º and shot it in WV at ~15º and upon entering the environmental variables into Ballistic AE I was dead on at 1K. Good enough for me.

To be honest though, it's my understanding that the temperature stability doesn't really show itself as a huge issue outside of crazy winter conditions. That is to say that the difference between 80º and 110º is going to be minute as opposed to the difference between 0º and -30º. Although at that point which primer you've chosen is probably a bigger issue.

Here's a test of a few(albeit published by Hodgdon for whatever that's worth.) http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/extreme/page3.php#top

TomD
03-05-14, 19:07
The OP asked about rifle AND pistol powders. There are some pistol powders that are reverse sensitive. Don't remember which ones unfortunately.

thopkins22
03-05-14, 19:13
The OP asked about rifle AND pistol powders. There are some pistol powders that are reverse sensitive. Don't remember which ones unfortunately.

I completely missed the pistol part...my comments were strictly directed towards rifles.

Steel head
03-05-14, 19:20

WST and I think WSF.

W748 and H335 can get squirrely.
Varget, 8208XNR and H322 are supposed to be pretty stable and I'm curious as to how CFE223 is.

Symmetry
03-05-14, 19:28
Pretty much all Vihtavuori powders are immune to temperature changes. I've found that Alliant flake powders like Blue Dot and Power Pistol show deviations depending on the temperature.