PDA

View Full Version : 1911 vs Glock

sprice
03-06-14, 01:29
No, this is probably not what you think.

On a social networking site there was a picture of a 1911 and a Glock and it said something along the lines of: "What would you choose?" An acquaintance wanted to buy a cheap 1911 today and I told him he would be better off with a glock for that price. Anyway, these are my thoughts on glock vs 1911.

When I was 16 I got my first handgun... It was a para 1911 and it sucked. It would not feed with oem magazines and it would not feed with $45 wilson mags. I sold that. I got a few other handguns, eventually glocks; and they worked ok. The first was a gen 3 23, it jammed and I hated it. Then there was a 19 but it was so small and uncomfortable and I just could not shoot it well even after more classes. Then I got a 17 rtf, it was great! But it still jammed a few times and I could not make "hostage" shots at 5 yards to save my life, much less the life of anyone else. I then got a screaming offer on that g17 so I got rid of that, then eventually found myself with a dan wesson 1911. It was nice, but shiny stainless and I don't like that. I just couldn't afford to shoot .45 acp at the rate I was used to shooting 9mm. But that 1911 functioned fine. I got a glock 19 gen 4 so I could go take a different class because if I sold the 1911 I could afford the glock, magazines, and 1000 rounds of steel cased ammo (which I shot the most until I recently picked up reloading). I liked it so much my dad and brothers now all have gen 4 g19's. (I don't care much for gen 3 vs 4 now, I guess I slightly prefer 3). For some reason I just can't shoot glocks that well... I'm sorry... and it took me a good ~10,000 rounds to figure that out!

During the normal capacity panic buying I sold that gen4 glock 19 and 3 magazines for $900. I found a stainless springfield mil spec for $400. So I jumped on that. It was missing some pins, so I suppose the previous owner thought it was broken... his friend tried to install a new trigger and lost them hahaha. So I bought new springs and pins, put in an old extended thumb safety I had laying around, smoothed the edges and internals, then dry practiced and shot about 1000 rounds through it. I then realized I needed a beavertail. So I got out the dremel and I started removing metal for the grip safety to fit. It turned out great! I also bobbed the hammer, and sanded underneath the trigger guard for a better grip; then fitted an extra nowlin extractor. It was ugly and stainless and scratched. So I got it black Ice coated (I like the coating, it was a decent price; it's really slick) also, it came in pretty colors :p. I bought several chip mccormick 8 round power mags, but now I've found I prefer check mate 7 round magazines (CM45-7-B-CMF-RB). About $800 after everything was said and done.

It's about 5000 rounds through that handgun now and I'm happy. Why 1911 vs Glock? They're the 2 most popular, so there's somewhat inexpensive magazines and parts and they are available. More holsters, more knowledge, more practice (I've found for every type of gun there's usually 2 common/popular choices and both are usually good. Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500 for example, AR vs AK). Glocks and 1911's are both great. No handgun has been completely reliable for me, it just so happens this 1911 has been just about as reliable as my glocks. Call it luck of the draw or what have you but that's just how it's worked out for me. I have about 8000 rounds through 1911's in general (I've also owned and fired more handguns than glock/1911's). I have also liked to tinker with Glocks by replacing various parts.

In my extremely limited experience,
1911:

I'm from Utah so it holds special significance for me, as well as every American.
I shoot it faster and more accurately
It's slim and comfortable
It has a good trigger
It's hard to transition from a Glock to 1911 but if you train with a 1911 (swiping a thumb safety) then the transition to other guns is easier
Good trigger
Many different variations
It's durable
It can be reliable

You should be your own armorer
It should initially cost $1,000 at least.
I would not trust one out of box (nor any gun for that matter... but 1911's least of all.)
It's an old design, made in a time where hand fitting was cheap, and machining was expensive.
Heavy
Low capacity
Grip safety
.45 acp
Hand tuning!

Glock:
Inexpensive
Durable
Can be reliable
9mm
Regular capacity
light weight
No superfluous safeties
Made in a time of cheap manufacturing and expensive hand fitting.
Easier to use, and to maintain

Can be uncomfortable
One size fits most
Neutered magazines for some states
Trigger is just ok
Can be customized... But it shouldn't.

I like steel 5" 1911's with short guide rods. Everything should be fitted correctly, and internals may need to be polished. I like better sights, extended thumb safeties, and beavertails. I prefer 7 round magazines for reliability. Internal extractors, no firing pin safeties.

Glocks should stay stock. No 3.5 connector or other triggers for me, I don't want anything unless it's a factory glock 34 slide catch. However better sights and more magazines please! I wouldn't mind getting a glock that's been stippled and has had the "hump" chopped off either, but I have no experience with that. I like the 17 most, followed by the 19.

.45 acp sucks. I hate it. Limited rounds, more muzzle flip (which I find more detrimental than rearward recoil). And the slow .45 bullet isn't fast enough to take advantage of hollow point bullets. It's more expensive.

9mm holds twice as much, and about 3/4's the power of a .45acp when comparing same brand of hollow points, (the speedy 9mm has enough velocity to tear itself open when it makes contact and become a bigger bullet while retaining a higher velocity). But mostly it's cheaper to shoot.

I usually recommend Glocks to everyone, and 1911's for people who want it, and who will spend the extra money and time to be proficient with it.

I think Glocks are better, but I just can't stand them! It's a love/hate relationship I have with my guns...

But the truth is... none of this really matters if you don't practice. So the most economical choice might be the best. I cannot emphasize this enough.
Your primary (and therefore best) weapon is the one in your hand. It could be a pen, it might even just be your empty hand. Ever heard that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? That principle applies here too. So whatever you carry will be the quickest into your hand. And you should practice with it, as much as you can!

No safe queens here... Those grips are supposed to be black, but that dried desert mud took care of that! I guess I didn't say this above, but this 1911 is my only handgun. I'm 22 and I can't afford to train with multiple handguns; so this is it for now. I know I'm young and inexperienced and there's better people who know and have done more, but this is knowledge I've gained so I thought I should share.

03-06-14, 08:19
Of course there are pistols other than 1911's and Glocks but you seem to have found what works for you now. Later in life you may find yourself with more resources so you may try more options. I've had some nice pistols, an HK or two, a couple of nice upper mid-range 1911's than ran great and several Glocks that ran but I just couldn't shoot them to my satisfaction. I like my autos but what do I shoot best? Two S&W fixed sight revolvers in .357/.38.

samuse
03-06-14, 09:09
My 1911s will beat up on any Glock.

But that's just my 1911s. Most of 'em are junk...

walkin' trails
03-06-14, 17:40
I liked your post. Great observations. Im about twice as old as you are and still trying to figure it out. Around 20 years ago I bought a Springfield 1911 - a bare bones gun I thought was Springfield's version of a Colt 1991A1. Got it home and realized it had an alloy frame rather than steel, so I lost interest in building it. I did shoot it. Was also new into reloading at the time, and my methods would make a decent hand loader cringe. Anyway, that cheap Springfield ate every cruddy round I fed it. Still being a snob, I bought a new Colt Commander, which didn't want to work with anything I tried to run thru it, including factory 230 FMJ. I got rid of both and stayed with my plastic pistols. Wish I'd kept the Springfield.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

brushy bill
03-06-14, 19:38

I hope when you get the time you'll post some photos with a few of your 1911s. The one I recall was a nice Springfield with just about the right amount of mods to be what you need but nothing superfluous. I generally prefer Colts, but really liked how it turned out. You prefer the Colts, Springfields or neutral?

teutonicpolymer
03-06-14, 19:45
the glock just does so many things right

there are some things I would change about it but honestly the issues are not significant

Quick Stick
03-06-14, 20:20
Ive been down the same road. I carried a 1911 on duty for years. Recently I made the switch to Glock...for a couple of reasons. I was emotionally attached to the 1911 platform and drank that kool aid hard core!! It wasn't perfect and there were some area's I didn't care for. What I did was take a hard look at what I perceived one platform did for me that the other did not. What I came up with was...not much. I shoot both about the same, the glock has more on board ammo, less weight, cheaper, easy to maintain, and did I say more ammo?!!! Neither platform is perfect, but for me I believe I made the right choice after many years of fighting it! Just my experience..YMMV

samuse
03-06-14, 20:27
I hope when you get the time you'll post some photos with a few of your 1911s. The one I recall was a nice Springfield with just about the right amount of mods to be what you need but nothing superfluous. I generally prefer Colts, but really liked how it turned out. You prefer the Colts, Springfields or neutral?

I like Springfield Customs for real usin' guns.
I only have one Colt and it's been rebuilt by Alchemy. It's reliability is still being vetted, but I think I have it sorted out.
I'll post some pics when I get back to a computer.

This is the Colt that Alchemy built.
-Kart barrel and bushing
-EGW thumb safety, firing pin stop, extractor and slide stop
-Wilson Combat trigger, mag catch and grip safety
-Harrison hammer, Colt disco, a sear that Rob had
-Novak black rear, tritium front
-20lb mainspring, 16lb recoil - Wolff
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/Alchemy%20Colt/010_zps2ef39409.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/Alchemy%20Colt/011_zpse5f8ada1.jpg

Springfield Custom Carry.
This is just a basic gun I ordered in '09. I spec'd it with an Ed Brown wide single side safety, Les Baer style high cut front strap and Pachmayr grips. I later added the Kimber DET-1 mainspring housing and an EGW firing pin stop and steel firing pin. Also with 20lb mainspring and 16lb recoil.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/002_zpsd9b26419.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/001_zpsbe7f87e1.jpg

This is another Springfield Custom Carry. It has Novak tritium front and rear, Les Baer style high cut frontstrap, EGW steel firing pin, and a Cylinder and Slide USMC fire control group and EGW thumb safety installed by Alchemy (awesome trigger).
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/001_zps37d4bc2e.jpg

Here is a Springfield Expert Limited that is at the Custom shop right now getting a slide with a fixed rear sight. I absolutely loathe adjustable rear sights. It has an ISMI 19lb mainspring, 16lb recoil, Colt sear spring and EGW steel firing pin, EGW thumb safety.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/001_zps49cb01db.jpg

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/004_zpsdd72e15c.jpg

MC Operator that I set up for my cousin to use. He liked the ambi safety so it stayed. I tuned the extractor and ejector, dropped in a Colt plastic MSH with a 20lb spring, 16 lb recoil, EGW firing pin stop and steel pin, flat head grip screws.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/springers2_zpsf8bb1cb4.jpg

sprice
03-07-14, 15:17

ChaseN
03-07-14, 19:00
The first was a gen 3 23, it jammed and I hated it. Then there was a 19 but it was so small and uncomfortable and I just could not shoot it well even after more classes.

Huh??? Did you not have the same problem with the 23 you owned before the 19? Because last time I checked the external dimensions are identical.

Then I got a 17 rtf, it was great! But it still jammed a few times and I could not make "hostage" shots at 5 yards to save my life, much less the life of anyone else.

Not to bag on your shooting, but a good pistol shooter should be able to make "hostage shots" at 5 yards with just about any serviceable handgun. A G17 definitely falls in that category.

I go back and forth between 1911s and Glocks...no doubt I am faster with a 1911. However, we're talking fractions of a second, and (supposing some rounds miss due to adrenalin, or the attacker doesn't go down after the tidy 3 round failure to stop drill we all train for, or multiple attackers) after the first 8 rounds of .45 are spent out of a 1911, I'm a WHOLE LOT faster with my Glocks.

Edit: this isn't to say the Glock is the be-all-end-all - I'd feel adequately armed with a quality Government model 1911 any day of the week (I would just practice the sh*t out of my mag changes). Also, there are a number of decent Glock alternatives on the market IMO - M&P, SigPro, P30/P2000, PPQ, etc.

WillBrink
03-07-14, 19:20
the glock just does so many things right

there are some things I would change about it but honestly the issues are not significant

I think the M&P got it righter. :cool:

But seriously, In this day and age of so many viable choices, the 1911 vs. Glock discussion(s) don't make sense. At this point it's at best, the 1911 vs. various modern polymer pistols debate.

Glock
M&P
HKp30
Walther
Springfield XD (I wouldn't consider the XD a contender to those others but for sake of discussion)
Etc.

An that debate, has indeed been discussed here 8,984,193,174 times.

ST911
03-07-14, 19:23
This thread seems to fit with this one: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?148750-Hilton-Yam-s-path-away-from-the-1911&p=1869782