PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Shotgun

lanceriley
05-23-08, 09:06
I have a benelli m3 kromo model. barrel, magazine and reciever is hardchrome? Less than ideal for home defense or tactical defense? Id shine up in the night!

If I were to refinish it with gun kote. my question is... will the magazine tube (painted with gunkote) not get scratched up and expose the chrome finish? magazine tube also acts as a recoil spring guide.

CHoffman
05-30-08, 17:29
I believe your gun is actually nickel plated based on a quick search. I wonder how well the gun-kote would stick without some media blasting? I think it would probably eventually flake off everywhere, not just the mag tube. I personally don't see a problem with the gun as is for home defense. You shouldn't be clearing rooms without proper training unless you have a wife and/or kids that are across the house and might be in danger. Usually it is best to set up a defense in your bedroom with a phone, your shotgun, and call the police in most home invasion scenario's. When doing that it shouldn't matter if your Benelli was coated in glow-in-the-dark paint and looked like a bright green orb. If someone comes into the room your holed up in at least they will get a neat light show :cool:

Personally I would keep it the way it is or sell it and get one in black if it really bothers you that much. Would probably make some money off that deal as the nickel plated models are usually worth more and are more rare. Just because a gun isn't black (or OD green, flat dark earth.etc.) doesn't mean it can't be used for home defense or " tactical defense". Plus I think it would be a lot less of a hassle to get a gun painted that is not nickel plated. I know most refinishers charge extra to refinish a nickel gun as in needs to be stripped to guarantee the paint or coating to stick, usually around $40 extra. So to do it yourself, you should try find a local media blaster with firearm experience and get it aluminum oxide blasted and then apply the gun-kote. But like I said I would keep it as is if it were mine.

lanceriley
05-30-08, 19:00
I was actually going to do the refinishing myself heheheh. so it is nickel huh? Didn't know that. well.... learned something new everyday through the internet. I never really intend to use the shotgun for room clearing. Im not trained for house clearing with a shotgun. Self defense for a shotgun for me is defending your fence. once inside the house... i'll probably be more effective with a pistol or an sbr.

I forgot to tell you I actually live in the Philippines. Firearms aren't easy to acquire or dispose. In the U.S. Gun owners are licensed. In the Philippines, Guns are licensed. If I sell it, I have to make sure all the paper works are done before giving up the shotgun. otherwise if a crime is commited by the said firearm. I'm in trouble.

CHoffman
05-30-08, 20:25
http://www.pointernet.pds.hu/gun/shot-gun/01/20070128214556198000000923.html

That is the first result when I googled. They state nickel. Benelli would know for sure but regardless nickel and chrome don't like to be painted over without some surface prep. I have painted over some chrome motorcycle parts by scuffing them up with a wire wheel in a drill and using an adhesion promoter. I used a black epoxy type engine paint and actually baked the parts after words. They came out a nice semi-gloss almost satin black similar to some of H&K's guns. The parts I didn't scuff up good enough did flake so I had to redo them a few times. Would have been quicker to just get them media blasted and done right the first time but they are all holding up well now.

I see your dilemma with selling though. I would think the nickel finish would be preferred given you location given nickels great corrosion resistance. Nickel is actually better than hard chrome when it comes to rust but isn't as hard (rockwell test). There is black nickel plating but I doubt anyone near you does it.

If you really want to paint it I would just degrease and apply the gun kote just to see if it sticks. If it doesn't (and I don't think it will) you are going to have to do some surface prep which will mess up the finish of your gun to where there is no going back. I also would strongly recommend that you get it media blasted as the paint will stick so much better than using sandpaper, scotchbrite pads, steel wool, or a wire wheel brush like I did. They others ways will work but you may be redoing it a few times until it is satisfactory. Good luck with your endevour and post pics if you do it :D

For the record I am not hell bent against you painting your shotgun its just I really like the way those look in stock form with the nickel. My opinions may definitely not be what works best for you.

lanceriley
05-30-08, 23:04
that's exactly what I have!

It doesn't really look bad. In fact it's a good looking shotgun with good corrosion protection. I do have very corrosive hands.

It was just an idea that came to me lol hehehehe :D :D :D

we do have media blasting here. but not a lot would work on guns. Even if the firearms are licensed and legal. they just don't feel comfortable with it.