PDA

View Full Version : Leave as is or buy a BCM GUNFIGHTER Ambidextrous Charging Handle

Abraham
03-06-14, 10:04
I have another Colt LE6920 as is and I plan to add very little to it, but I wonder if I should add a BCM GUNFIGHTER Ambidextrous Charging Handle? Or, the Model 4...?

I'll have no scope on it to get in the way of the charging handle. My Magpul configuration LE6920's scope is located in such a way that getting to the charging handle was made easier with the Gunfighter Mod 4.

Without a scope in the way, I'm not certain if the expense of the BCM charging handle will provide much advantage over the stock charging handle, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Thoughts!

markm
03-06-14, 10:07
I'd buy the AMBI, but it on the scoped gun, and move the other handle to the non-scoped gun maybe. ??

Abraham
03-06-14, 10:12
Actually, I had that thought too, but other than the Gunfighter charging handle having a somewhat/slightly easier latch to grab onto, what are it's other benefits?

I don't see anything that comes immediately to mind, but again, perhaps I'm overlooking something...?

The ambi handle is fairly pricey and this rifle is my 'keep it simple etc' rifle.

Airhasz
03-06-14, 10:23
If you feel the need to buy parts a new CH is an easy cure for that itch. That said, soldiers have been and are still using 'stock charging handles' to stay alive and win firefights.

Abraham
03-06-14, 10:34
Airhasz,

Thanks for your reply.

That's kinda what I was thinking and no, actually I don't feel the need to buy new parts. That's something I'm resisting. Such as: I won't buy a new sling for it, when I can use the one (when I need to carry it) from my other AR. No optics of any kind.

If there's no readily apparent benefit and with the Gunfighter C.H. I don't see much a one, other than it having a larger latch, I think I'm gonna pass - unless someone can point out an overlooked benefit of these costly C.H.'s...

hotbiggun42
03-06-14, 10:41
Really a cheap upgrade. I like them.

Ryno12
03-06-14, 10:45
I've found my preference is to use a Mod 3 Gunfighter on my scoped ARs and a Raptor on the RDS equipped ARs. It took a little trial and error but I've settled into this configuration and really like it.

Sent via Tapatalk

discreet
03-06-14, 10:48
Neither :)

Get a Raptor.

Abraham
03-06-14, 10:58
discreet,

Those Raptor look great, but $90.00 - UGH!

Heck, I thought the BCB's were costly, but the Raptor's are waaaaaay out there in cost!

P.S. They do look good though...

titanse05
03-06-14, 11:18
The Raptors are in a league of their own when it comes to quality and construction......that is why they are priced where they are.

blade_68
03-06-14, 11:19
If it's not broken don't fix it. ARs have been running with same charging handle for about 50 years in general. I'm "running" a factory standard in my duty rifle, reason... Dept. Issued
All Dept. Rifles set up same. Single Pt. Slings, 552 EOTEC.
What would you be getting if you was "running" a pick up rifle probably factory standard. Could lead to "training scar" of use non-standard equipment.
About half of mine have stock Charging Handles the rest BCM and tac latch to clear scopes.

markm
03-06-14, 11:43
discreet,

Heck, I thought the BCB's were costly, but the Raptor's are waaaaaay out there in cost!

Wait til you see one in person. They're big. I never got to run one though.

What would you be getting if you was "running" a pick up rifle probably factory standard. Could lead to "training scar" of use non-standard equipment.

I see what you're saying... but my hand was slipping off stock CH's and hitting me in the head long before Gunfighters were around. If I had wet or bloody hands, that Gunfighter would be worth its weight in gold.

SteveL
03-06-14, 11:48
I know those Raptor handles are expensive, but IMO they're worth every penny.

ffusaf23
03-06-14, 11:53
It's not terribly difficult to find some broken standard charging handles if you dig a little. BCM obviously thought there was generous room for improvement and did so with the gunfighter by eliminating the stresses put on the roll pin of standard charging handles. If I were looking to go ambi I'd spend the extra $20 or so (I don't remember the costs) and spring for the Raptor over the ambi Gunfighter. The latch "wing" design of the Raptor handles eliminated the occasional pinch (which is admittedly rare) I get with a mod 4 and the roll pins are quite a bit beefier on the Raptors. The Raptor is just an awesome piece of equipment all the way around IMO.I wish Raptors, BAD ASS selectors (I prefer the short throw version) and ALG QMS triggers were standard on all modern AR-15s. I think they are useful and practical upgrades (this becomes more evident the more you use them) and in no way reflect a "just adding parts for the heck of it" mentality.

discreet
03-06-14, 11:56
discreet,

Honestly if they were 200$ I'd still use them. Honestly there just isn't a comparison between the BCM and Raptor. The raptor is completely on a different planet. It's something you will see quite a bit. Many people who have tried one or switched will never go back to anything else. But then you have those "hardcore" guys who just say run stock this and that (who obviously haven't tried the product to begin with).

BCM or Raptor you should be happy, but keep in mind, if you do eventually try a Raptor after you buy a BCM, you will smack yourself for wasting the money on a BCM and not just putting a little more into a much better handle.

Only issue right now is I think most places are out of stock on the Raptor, so something I'd do the notify me ordeal on each site before. (and only buy from reputable dealers to not get a clone)

Ryno12
03-06-14, 11:57
I wish Raptors, BAD ASS selectors (I prefer the short throw version) and ALG QMS triggers were standard on all modern AR-15s.

It's standard on all my ARs. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Ark1443
03-06-14, 11:59
I'm in line with most here in the thinking that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have seen my bud's BCM handle and though I liked it, I cannot justify buying that over more mag's or ammo.

batman4706
03-06-14, 12:03
These are a good deal,I have them on 2 AR's an they work good. They are out of stock right now, but you don't seem to be in a big hurry.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-TRAINING-USE-ONLY-p/bcm-gfh-mod-3-556-training-use.htm

discreet
03-06-14, 12:06
Wait til you see one in person. They're big. I never got to run one though.

I see what you're saying... but my hand was slipping off stock CH's and hitting me in the head long before Gunfighters were around. If I had wet or bloody hands, that Gunfighter would be worth its weight in gold.

Maybe you knocked your dislike for LWRCI into yourself lmao

I never understand peoples well stock is fine comment for this part. It seems all the people who say this don't have much experience actually using something else... otherwise I doubt they'd actually still be using the stock handle.

BCM or Raptor IMO are the ways to go. Now blowing money on one of those Fortis handles ora PRI handle imo is just ****tarded.

Abraham
03-06-14, 12:30
Oh man, you guys are influencing me. The more I read about the Raptor, the more I want one.

Without, I hope, not sounding like a blowhard, I have the discretionary income to afford pretty much anything I want, but I'm kinda of a cheap bastard at times...

I have a FDE Magpul configuration LE6920 that I've loaded up with all sorts of goodies and wanted to keep my KISS LE6920 fairly unadorned.

That said, about the only thing I want on it is: A better trigger (ALG ACT or a Geissele G2S) and the slimmer B5 Keymod handguards. Now, dammit, I may buy the Raptor Ambi C.H. or not...I haven't decided yet, but yeah, I'm leaning...

SteveL
03-06-14, 12:32
Oh man, you guys are influencing me. The more I read about the Raptor, the more I want one.

Without, I hope, not sounding like a blowhard, I have the discretionary income to afford pretty much anything I want, but I'm kinda of a cheap bastard at times...

I have a FDE Magpul configuration LE6920 that I've loaded up with all sorts of goodies and wanted to keep my KISS LE6920 fairly unadorned.

That said, about the only thing I want on it is: A better trigger (ALG ACT or a Geissele G2S) and the slimmer B5 Keymod handguards. Now, dammit, I may buy the Raptor Ambi C.H. or not...I haven't decided yet, but yeah, I'm leaning...

Read this thread and watch the video in the first post.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?134811-Review-Rainier-Arms-Raptor-Ambidextrous-Charging-Handle

trinydex
03-06-14, 15:15
Neither :)

Get a Raptor.

pricey, but worth it.

wilson1911
03-06-14, 17:23
Another vote for the Raptor. I have both the BCM ambi and the Raptor. while I do not have the time on the BCM CH, it is a little wider than the Raptor. The raptor is the more crisp and compact feeling of any charging handle. Never has it gotten in the way or snagged on anything. I run T1's and a PST 1x4 on my ar's. If you have bigger hands(fingers) you may want to try the BCM out first, its not like you can't sell it fast. Although I feel the Raptor is the better option. I do not have huge hands and have shot with gloves on with no trouble what so ever.

I am a left handed shooter also, so an ambi is a must for me.

Iraqgunz
03-07-14, 01:05
The Raptor is a good handle but I am just as happy with my Ambi MOD 44. All of my ARs have them. I think standard charging handles should go the way of the Dodo bird. I have seen so many broken USGI handles its not funny.

albatrossarmament
03-07-14, 07:03
I have "upgraded" the the BCM and after using it for a year or so I am convinved it was a waste of money. The edges are machined sharper then a standard CH, I guess so it will "look" cool...but I prefer the rounded edges of the stock CH. Also, after using it with a suppressor, I see no benefiet, I ended up having to RTV the gap between the handle and the reciever anyway. I know the M4C gods wil fire lightning bolts at me for not being a BCM fanboy, I just dont see any reason at all to throw $50 at a problem that doesnt exist.

dentron
03-07-14, 07:12
I have "upgraded" the the BCM and after using it for a year or so I am convinved it was a waste of money. The edges are machined sharper then a standard CH, I guess so it will "look" cool...but I prefer the rounded edges of the stock CH. Also, after using it with a suppressor, I see no benefiet, I ended up having to RTV the gap between the handle and the reciever anyway. I know the M4C gods wil fire lightning bolts at me for not being a BCM fanboy, I just dont see any reason at all to throw $50 at a problem that doesnt exist.

Wow, I could not disagree more. The BCM is superior in every way. I actually believe it is one of the best affordable upgrades you can do to a carbine. And I don't know what is "sharp" on them, if you are talking about the serrations, the afford a much better grip especially when wearing gloves.

Iraqgunz
03-07-14, 07:26
Until your roll pin breaks and you lose your charging handle latch. Tell you what. Send my your BCM handle and I'll send you two USGI ones.

Eurodriver
03-07-14, 07:48

...except that it does exist. Not only are they less prone to failure as IG stated (roll pins can and do fail), but they are also easier to manipulate.

Have you ever been up for 36 hours straight and found yourself laying in a ditch trying to correct double feed with wet, cold, gloved, muddy hands on the stock CH? It ****ing sucks. (This situation is why I will never own an upper without the forward assist either) The gunfighter not only reduces the probability of CH failure, but allows you to perform immediate/remedial action almost effortlessly and regardless of conditions you find yourself in.

If your weapon goes from the safe to the zippered soft case to the carpeted range bench, back to the safe, then you are right. It probably is a waste of money. The worst case scenario for you is you pack up and go home a little bit early.

Quiet Riot
03-07-14, 07:57
The BCM Ambi is the best CH they/VLTOR make. I've been using one for a few months, and it is loads better than a USGI charging handle, and still significantly better than the non-ambi Gunfighter CHs unless you're running a big scope. You'll quickly see how awkward some of the standard manipulations the AR can be once you adopt to having the option of charging from the right side.

That said, the Raptor is still my favorite for all of the reasons I mention in the video linked above. It gives you more to grab with nothing to poke and pinch you when not wearing gloves and a chest rig. Both are equally well made- it's the Raptor's design that puts it atop my list.

I have not used and do not understand all of the artsy billet CHs that have been hitting the market lately, though.

philpac33
03-07-14, 11:29
Rainier Arms Raptor is a no-brainer for me- even at full price. Kicking myself for not buying 2-3 at their grand opening when the price was low just to put away for future use. There's not a better CH out now and really don't see anything that would be an improvement coming out for the foreseeable future. Along with BAD ambi safety selectors, Raptors should be considered tops in their class universally.

Colt556
03-07-14, 12:48
I like the BCM Gunfighter- I have one on my LE6920.

It is definitely a step up from the standard issue, which has a tendency to twist or flex. Also rather than using two fingers in a V shape you can grab the extended handle very easily.

That said, the standard issue never failed me and is good enough for soldiers in combat so it really comes down to whether you want to fork out the dough. You will be able to reliably charge the weapon either way.

carolvs
03-07-14, 13:53
If in doubt then wait until you've run your Colt hard enough to break the stock charging handle or have some other kind of failure in training, then upgrade to BCM or Raptor.

blade_68
03-07-14, 18:38
I do agree with you "markm" I've got 4 or 5 BCM CHs, and 2 other un-named brands. One of these will and does eat roll pins and charging handles.
My reasoning is one rifle is improved by a better than stock CH already. I'd like to put in one of my BCM CH in duty rifle but the rifle gets messed with by to many "other" people. If I was to need to grab up other patrol's rifle it's set up the same 552 EOTEC, sling, CH. The "other" is the D*** A$$ that just don't get it.. life support equipment.

steve462x0
03-07-14, 19:08
I bought the training use only BCM gunfighter it fits and works great, and only $25

Airhasz
03-07-14, 19:32
I bought the training use only BCM gunfighter it fits and works great, and only $25

They are back in stock, I just ordered my first GF charging handle. Time to see what all the rave reviews are about.

BufordTJustice
03-07-14, 19:54
Having broken several std charging handles in a training environment, I'll be using either a GF or RA charging handle from now on.

My current choice is a GF mod 4.

I'll add that I've never broken a GF charging handle....even when combining mortaring with the heel of my boot.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

TexanInCali
03-08-14, 04:22
I have the ambi BCM and noticed that the movement of the left side handle is a little more smooth than the right one. When moving the right latch, it's actually moving the left one to unlock the handle. I'm fine with this as the charging handle works perfectly however I use it, but am just curious if the Raptor has that same difference in feel.

R0CKETMAN
03-08-14, 05:52
The Raptor is a good handle but I am just as happy with my Ambi MOD 44. All of my ARs have them. I think standard charging handles should go the way of the Dodo bird. I have seen so many broken USGI handles its not funny.

Agreed. I'm LH and have both on various ARs....

Quiet Riot
03-08-14, 07:01
I have the ambi BCM and noticed that the movement of the left side handle is a little more smooth than the right one. When moving the right latch, it's actually moving the left one to unlock the handle. I'm fine with this as the charging handle works perfectly however I use it, but am just curious if the Raptor has that same difference in feel.

Every ambi that I'm familiar with works in a similar way- the left side works as normal, and the ambi lever or button uses a linkage to the left side to unlock the charging handle. This is the most efficient way to do it, and fewer parts means less stuff to wear or break.

The Raptor's right lever is longer than the left lever, however, in order to accommodate its position above the forward assist on standard uppers. This added length means added leverage. Combine that with the fact that the "throw" of the levers is really short, and you don't really notice a big difference in actuating either side.

That said, other than doing a chamber check, it's rare that you aren't grabbing and shucking a charging handle. Apply the appropriate force to cycle the action, and you won't notice the movement of the levers much at all.

Zirk208
03-08-14, 23:39
As a lefty, the Raptor was worth every penny. Now I get to enjoy what your righty's have had so easy since day one.
Same with the BadAss lever.

Abraham
03-09-14, 12:37
Anyone know why everything 'gun' cost so much?

Even, non-rotating sling swivels are pricey...sheesh

Almost, a hundred bucks (with 8.25% tax) for the Raptor C.H. here in Texas.

Now, if the cost is high because of some sort of exotic manufacturing process or specialty/unusual metal or this or special that, well, o.k., but I wonder if the cost for things 'gun related' is simple market economics, i.e., whatever the market will bear.

Knyghtmare
03-10-14, 05:31
If The Raptor had a desk, most of you would be fighting for who gets to go under it.

Eurodriver
03-10-14, 09:32
Anyone know why everything 'gun' cost so much?

Even, non-rotating sling swivels are pricey...sheesh

Almost, a hundred bucks (with 8.25% tax) for the Raptor C.H. here in Texas.

Now, if the cost is high because of some sort of exotic manufacturing process or specialty/unusual metal or this or special that, well, o.k., but I wonder if the cost for things 'gun related' is simple market economics, i.e., whatever the market will bear.

Because most gun owners are wealthy, single (and/or retired) old men with disposable income.

Iraqgunz
03-10-14, 10:26
There are 3 pages worth of advice and opinions. Buy a charging handle and be done with it. If it's too expensive wait another month and save more beer money.