PDA

View Full Version : Single point sling: alternative wearing?

ABNAK
03-06-14, 18:14
I have a single point sling that I like. Am attending a rifle class this weekend and intend to use it. However, I will be using a chest rig (which isn't really the point of this) and having to transition to a handgun on some occasions.

To alleviate any fumbling and obstructing access to the handgun in a timely fashion I have considered slinging it over the trigger shoulder and under the support arm (which is opposite of the way I normally would). This would (in theory) allow the weapon to fall either directly in front or to the support side, pistol grip and magazine facing forward. This would also allow for unobstructed access to the handgun for transitions.

Anyone tried this?

FeltaDorce
03-06-14, 18:20
I believe that you just described the standard method of using a single point sling.... I have always worn one that way. It should come over the trigger shoulder (primary hand) and under the armpit of the support arm. Once you try this for a few minutes, you will never go back. Shoot straight, have fun, be safe.

ABNAK
03-06-14, 18:27
I believe that you just described the standard method of using a single point sling.... I have always worn one that way. It should come over the trigger shoulder (primary hand) and under the armpit of the support arm. Once you try this for a few minutes, you will never go back. Shoot straight, have fun, be safe.

Really? I always thought that it *should* fall to the strong (trigger) side, in which case it would have to be slung over the support side and under the trigger armpit. Not doubting you, just mulling it over. Hmmmm.......

Hell, that's what this class is for: to actually use all this stuff and see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the input.

loganp0916
03-06-14, 18:49

I've always worn a single point this way too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCK
03-07-14, 07:45

from the gear sector website

El Cid
03-07-14, 08:44
I'd recommend taking a 2 point sling with you. It won't take long before you get pissed off at the single point - especially as it swings and bounces into your knees, groin, and chin.

ra2bach
03-07-14, 14:12
Really? I always thought that it *should* fall to the strong (trigger) side, in which case it would have to be slung over the support side and under the trigger armpit. Not doubting you, just mulling it over. Hmmmm.......

Hell, that's what this class is for: to actually use all this stuff and see what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the input.

the proper transition for any point sling is to guide the rifle down to the offside. don't let it just drop as it's a pretty accurate nugget hunter...

a single point will not be stabilized like a two point and will dangle and swing so you must be able to steady it with the offhand. that's why most people like a two-point. IMO, the only justification for a single point anymore is for a PDW...

sandsunsurf
03-08-14, 11:02
I'd recommend taking a 2 point sling with you. It won't take long before you get pissed off at the single point - especially as it swings and bounces into your knees, groin, and chin.

Yes, I had this revelation, also. Using somebody else's rifle, running sucked, climbing a fence was not possible.

In a class, a full size rifle will be banging the shit out of your shins, and the muzzle will try to dig in the dirt every time you are bending down. Transitions to handguns are easier with a two point, also, as it kind of traps the rifle on your support side even if you are moving.

Ultimately, I have one single-point sling, on an 8" .300blk. Not bad at the range or for informal cqb movement practice. I've never used it in real training or HD or on duty situation though.

msap
03-08-14, 11:21
Put your head through the sling with it resting on your strong side shoulder and under your support side. Same with a 2 point. The sling should rest on your strong side shoulder. Slings are personal preference, I've used them all and 2 point is the way to go. Good luck

CCK
03-08-14, 11:33
I posted the pic from the gear sector website, that was the first and only single point sling I will ever buy.

a quality 2-point is just so much better for everything. And most new two points are convertible to single point.

I find this of dubious utility however.

Chris