PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 PSS in 308 question

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 10:10
Ok, I could use a little input here. I realize I have the chance at a decent deal, but just how good of a deal is it really?

The offer I have is for a Remington 700 PSS in .308. This is one of the system's that included a bipod, detachable magazine, Leupold scope, AND a Pelican 1750 case. From what I've seen these were offered for a period of time, but cannot find much of ANYTHING other than that about it.

Anyone on here know much about these packages that were offered, and what it'd be worth "real world"?

markm
03-07-14, 10:33
Depends. Do you know the buyer? How much, if any usage has it seen? It's fully assembled with base, rings, etc?

Which Leupold... Assuming the scope is fair value of $800, I'd say there's nearly $2k there. Cases mean nothing to me. But if the gun has low use, I'd say $700, plus $180 for base and rings, $90 for the Pod setup, $200 for the bottom metal?, and $800 scope.

That's just under $2k.

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 10:54
It is fully assembled and sighted in, yes.

He's asking 1400 for the entire rig (oh and a sling included). I don't know the buyer personally, have seen several pictures of the gun and emailed back and forth several times (he's 4.5 hours from me). The case would be nice, I could replace the foam, and have a nice quality case for transporting my AR and the 308.

I know on gunbroker, the rem 700 P and PSS models without any "goodies" are 8-900 all day long.

B Cart
03-07-14, 11:38
$1,400 seems like a good deal, if everything is in good condition. I have a Rem700 PSS .308 and it is a tac driver. It was been extremely accurate, and has been a great .308 precision gun. If that's what you're looking for, that price seems hard to beat for everything that's included.

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 11:47
I'm also somewhat contemplating this one. He's asking more, but it's nicely set up overall, AND, I'd have to juggle that across state lines BS too.. He's asking $2,000 for this one.

Remington 700 sps tactical 308 with 20inch bull barrel, bell&carlson tatical sniper stock with adjustable butt plate and Cheek rest, mag plate with a 5 round and a 10 round mag, also has a bushnell elite tatical 5x15x40 with rain guard hd scope, Blackhawk bi pod and a stream light stinger that I mounted with scope rings also I customized a remote switch for the light and added a red lens. Asking $2,000 or $2,500 trade value.

markm
03-07-14, 12:15
If the 1400 dollar gun is a shooter, I'd probably go that route. Does he have a load for it? My only worry when thinking of buying a bolt gun is that someone is ditching it because it won't shoot.

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 12:20
If the 1400 dollar gun is a shooter, I'd probably go that route. Does he have a load for it? My only worry when thinking of buying a bolt gun is that someone is ditching it because it won't shoot.

Ok, you're just going to have to laugh your ass off at me on this one. When you say "does he have a load for it" what exactly are you referring to? Additionally, although he's offered to ship it, as close as he as, and although a deal, it's still a chunk of money, I think I'd prefer to make the drive and actually shoot, or see the gun in action before spending the money.

Before I make a hard desicion I plan on talking on the phone with him for a while also about it. A good buddy has a nice older 308 he's offered me with an aftermarket stock for a good price, but after I bought mounts, and an optic, I'd still be in it more than I would this one as the PSS has a good stock on it as it is.

sl4mdaddy
03-07-14, 12:28
Ok, you're just going to have to laugh your ass off at me on this one. When you say "does he have a load for it" what exactly are you referring to? Additionally, although he's offered to ship it, as close as he as, and although a deal, it's still a chunk of money, I think I'd prefer to make the drive and actually shoot, or see the gun in action before spending the money.

Before I make a hard desicion I plan on talking on the phone with him for a while also about it. A good buddy has a nice older 308 he's offered me with an aftermarket stock for a good price, but after I bought mounts, and an optic, I'd still be in it more than I would this one as the PSS has a good stock on it as it is.

He's asking if you know whether or not the dude uses handloads in the rifle.

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 12:32
Lol... Thanks; and no, I don't know at this point. In case you can't tell, I'm VERY new to the whole concept of "long range" shooting as a whole.

May not help any, but I was shaking my head at myself when I asked the question.

sl4mdaddy
03-07-14, 12:35
Lol... Thanks; and no, I don't know at this point. In case you can't tell, I'm VERY new to the whole concept of "long range" shooting as a whole.

May not help any, but I was shaking my head at myself when I asked the question.

It's all good, no one starts off knowing everything. Well, except Markm maybe.

;-P

I've had my 700P for many years, it shoots quite nicely with Federal Gold Medal Match rounds.

Oh yea, almost forgot......SAVAGE!

markm
03-07-14, 12:36
He's asking if you know whether or not the dude uses handloads in the rifle.

Yeah. Typically a bolt gun seller with say something about the guns accuracy or what ammo it likes. Maybe it shoots Federal GMM ammo wonderfully etc.

If it shoots and looks nice, it's a buy. If you took a look at my half shot out .308, you would pass on it all day long ;)

B Cart
03-07-14, 12:45
I would choose the $1,400 setup if it's in good shape. And each gun can be a little different in the loads it 'likes'. Different bullet types and weights, different powder loads (how many grains), etc. all go into it, and some loads will shoot tighter groups with your specific rifle than others.

If you do get the PSS and want to shoot factory ammo, my PSS shoots really well with the Federal GMM 175gr SMKs. It also really likes the Hornaday 178gr AMAX bullets for handloads.

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 13:17
Ok, I'd like to take a minute to thank everyone here. Y'all have been amazingly helpful and insightful! Even pointed me to ask questions I'd never dreamed of! Hopefully one of these days I'll have some sort of experience to pass on myself. I think I'm gonna jump on the PSS package, I haven't talked to him yet about loads or round count down the barrel; but he told me if I'd take the scope too so he wouldn't have to deal with it, he'd sell me the package for $1200

therealtrikky
03-07-14, 17:49
So, as it turns out, the $1400 "shooter" turns out to be a rem 700P TWS set up with less than 200 rounds through it, additionally, he came down to $1200 for it.

I figure that's a win in my book overall for now!

Thanks again for all the advice folks, look forward to learning and growing!

alienb1212
03-16-14, 10:40
So, as it turns out, the $1400 "shooter" turns out to be a rem 700P TWS set up with less than 200 rounds through it, additionally, he came down to $1200 for it.

I figure that's a win in my book overall for now!

Thanks again for all the advice folks, look forward to learning and growing!

Best post pics and a range report!

Good find!

therealtrikky
03-16-14, 12:39
Best post pics and a range report!

Good find!

Will do! Gonna upgrade the scope on it.. decent scope, but I'm a bit more blind than I used to be! I'll post a "showoff" pic of it and one of my AR's tomorrow if I get time. She shoots well, regretfully, I'm not as accurate as the gun!

TurretGunner
03-21-14, 09:53
Depends on Which Leupold scope. If its a 3.5-10 TMR/MD MK4 or a 10X m3 MK4 then its a smoking deal. If its a cheapy then no dice.

wilson1911
03-28-14, 14:40
Since you are new to long range shooting, getting good value and not over spending is a good choice. Any decent 700 action gun will more than likely be more than you can shoot anyway. There is a whole plethora of details beyond this that I will no go into. What I would like is for you to make sure you like the whole long range game before you get heavily invested into it with no chance of recovering your cash. I would buy the 1200 dollar gun and go shoot the barrel out. It comes with a scope, bipod, and mags. The only thing you will need from here is ammo if you decide to go this route. Remember I am trying to do this in a way that will give you a taste without going overboard, and then deciding its not for you.

Do you reload currently ? this will be a must for long range accuracy. It will also teach you more about the "gun" in a very generic sense . To give an illustration on this, see if you can answer these questions.

How far off the lands are you ?
What bullet are you shooting ?
Full length resize or just the neck ?
what powder are you running ?
What node are you on ?
How did you find that node ?
What does changing the seating depth do to in relation to where your bullet kits the paper ? vertical or horizontal ?
what does adding or removing powder do to elevation ?
How much preload does your chassis like when shooting ?

It is my hope that 6 months from now that you will be able to answer these questions and many more. LR shooting is tons of fun for an afternoon at the range, although I will always prefer a good carbine class any day of the week.

Where I live everyone up here everyone thinks dpms and stag are good guns, but they are all shooting custom bolts from the local gun shop here. It took me 2 years to finally buy into their game. Matt builds a large number of guns and the shop and has a 1000 yard range and matches you can shoot. Its kind of a win win situation in most aspects. As you can guess, the more you buy, the better the deals get. He has a stash for the local guys on powder, primers, bullets that he keeps in the back so you never run out. GOD bless him for this, its the only place I can ever get Retumbo at.

post some pics please

therealtrikky
03-28-14, 16:28
Wilson1911,

Thanks for the information. At this time, I'm very new to the long distance shooting. I may in the future get more into the precision aspect but for now, I'm getting used to something that has an effective range of more than 300 yards in general. I do not re-load myself, I don't have a "good place" to do so currently, and knowing my kids, they'd get nosey and blow up the house! I've currently been using "quality" factory loads (Hornady, etc).

I have no doubt the firearm is far more accurate than I myself am, and probably always will be. A lot of this is about becoming better than myself, and improving my skill set and becoming more natural.

here is the only picture I currently have when I "her" out for some target practice.

lugie101
04-06-14, 18:12
I'm also somewhat contemplating this one. He's asking more, but it's nicely set up overall, AND, I'd have to juggle that across state lines BS too.. He's asking $2,000 for this one.

Remington 700 sps tactical 308 with 20inch bull barrel, bell&carlson tatical sniper stock with adjustable butt plate and Cheek rest, mag plate with a 5 round and a 10 round mag, also has a bushnell elite tatical 5x15x40 with rain guard hd scope, Blackhawk bi pod and a stream light stinger that I mounted with scope rings also I customized a remote switch for the light and added a red lens. Asking $2,000 or $2,500 trade value.

I'd run away from this option at $2k. I recently picked up a Savage 10 FCP in an HS Precision stock with a Weaver mount (cheap, will be replaced), TPS steel rings, and a Harris BRM bipod for $650.

It seems that you can find deals on the Savage 10 FCP HS pretty frequently, and it's every bit of the shooter the 700 SPS tactical is--probably more so.