PDA

View Full Version : Global Military Gear Extended Quad rail

Colt556
03-07-14, 13:28
So I got a Global Military Gear quad rail on Ebay for $45 or so. I like it and it seems well built.

Reviews are completely opposite- looks like junk if you read up on this thing.

Whats my risk in going with a cheap quad rail vs a top quality Daniel Defense or something like that? I am a recreational shooter only and my AR isnt going to be dropped or banged around and then expected to save my life. I wouldnt cut corners on functional parts like a bolt, charging handle etc, or a part that could cause a dangerous malfunction, but whats the downside of a bargain rail? Worst case it breaks and I go buy a DD Rail. Am I missing something? Does a rail affect accuracy in any way?

markm
03-07-14, 13:33
Your risks aren't in accuracy. At least in an apples to apples comparison to a comparable GOOD rail.

Your getting crap materials (cheap alloy), corner cut finish (no way it's mil spec annodized), and likely out of spec machine work. As long as you don't have throw levers tuned to another in spec rail, you probably won't have problems.

223to45
03-07-14, 14:55
So I got a Global Military Gear quad rail on Ebay for $45 or so. I like it and it seems well built.

Ouch!! http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1-mako-gmg-ar15m4-carbine-aluminum-quad-rail-system

Looks like GMG is part of MAKO

DeviousMind
03-07-14, 15:16
Read the reviews for a good laugh. Bushmaster, Doublestar, Dpms is all that needs to be said.

tehpwnag3
03-07-14, 15:44
I don't want to bag on this rail, if the OP likes it.

Since I see it going for 25 bucks at ATG, I have to think it won't hold up to hard use (which is not the intent of the user). DD is built for war, after all.

Colt556
03-07-14, 16:23
Ouch!! http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1-mako-gmg-ar15m4-carbine-aluminum-quad-rail-system

Looks like GMG is part of MAKO

Actually, its this one.
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=106979

Colt556
03-07-14, 16:27
I don't want to bag on this rail, if the OP likes it.

Since I see it going for 25 bucks at ATG, I have to think it won't hold up to hard use (which is not the intent of the user). DD is built for war, after all.

I'm not claiming I got a DD or top quality rail. Its admittedly cheap. Just asking what the downside is of a cheap rail. Sounds like it is more likely to break and if that happens I'll shell out the dough for a Troy or DD rail. It works fine and I will use it until it stops working. The rail doesnt contain pressure or affect functionality. All of the mission critical parts havent been touched...and they were made by Colt.

If it doesnt affect accuracy, which someone was nice enough to confirm...I'm going to leave it on there.

GH41
03-07-14, 16:31
"Worst case it breaks and I go buy a DD Rail"

Buy once cry once!!! Worst case is you pissed away $50 before you buy the DD rail. GH

tehpwnag3
03-07-14, 16:34
I'm not claiming I got a DD or top quality rail. Its admittedly cheap. Just asking what the downside is of a cheap rail. Sounds like it is more likely to break and if that happens I'll shell out the dough for a Troy or DD rail. It works fine and I will use it until it stops working. The rail doesnt contain pressure or affect functionality. All of the mission critical parts havent been touched...and they were made by Colt.

If it doesnt affect accuracy, which someone was nice enough to confirm...I'm going to leave it on there.

Just noting the difference you ask for between DD and the rail that was incorrectly linked above, no hard feelings. As far as accuracy goes, it's a drop-in, not FF. So accuracy will be affected just like any other handguard that is not a FF rail system. Having said that, cheap drop-ins may not stay tight for long, but YMMV.

I say, shoot the hell out of it and have fun.

jpeezy
03-07-14, 16:42
My thoughts would be to get a magpul moe or save your 50 bucks and put it towards a MI rail or something used on an ee forum. Your 1/4 of the way there already, but if you still want the mentioned rail, rock on.

justin_247
03-07-14, 18:46
... and I thought ARMS rails were ugly.

scoutfsu99
03-07-14, 19:52
I just saw a used KAC M4 drop in rail sell for $65. A much better option than that garbage.

chmodx
03-07-14, 20:26
Trust me, you'll end up buying something else quality immediately after buying this GMG crap.

Look into Midwest industries for good priced gear.

Benito
03-08-14, 16:42
Why would you throw away a perfectly good $45 on this garbage?
Given that we live in the Golden Age of information at our fingertips, it takes all of 0.001 seconds to find out more about companies' reputations and track records than you could in years a few decades ago.
Even just the name smacks of cheesiness. "Global Military Gear".
Save yourself that time, money and effort and get a decent product from the beginning. It doesn't even have to be the latest, greatest Gucci gear.

RWH24
03-08-14, 18:43
Airsoft?????

SgtRock
03-13-14, 16:25
There are many good quad's out there.. Troy, MI... and I miss my Vltor Casv-el...