PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Layoffs

Tgrshrk99
03-07-14, 17:28
Saw DD just laid off about 20% of its workforce. Cause for concern? Anyone know more than what is reflected in the press release? Would anyone avoid buying one of their rifles as a result?

LMTMRP
03-07-14, 17:33
That is bad news

Stickman
03-07-14, 17:42
It isn't the first time they have laid people off. It is part of business, I don't see any cause for concern at all.

GH41
03-07-14, 17:44
Saw DD just laid off about 20% of its workforce. Cause for concern? Anyone know more than what is reflected in the press release? Would anyone avoid buying one of their rifles as a result?

Why in the hell would a layoff influence your decision to buy a rifle from them??? GH

LMTMRP
03-07-14, 17:46
Got the current correct article

Daniel Defense announces restricting
Posted: March 4, 2014 - 3:40pm | Updated: March 6, 2014 - 12:09am

http://savannahnow.com/bryan-county-now/2014-03-04/daniel-defense-announces-restricting#.UxpZ-M4vnac

Daniel Defense announced earlier this week it will reduce its workforce by 14 percent, about 35 employees, due to current market conditions.

03scgt
03-07-14, 17:56
not surprised with how saturated the market is with AR's right now

TomF
03-07-14, 17:59
Managing overhead in a market with volatile highs and lows is nearly impossible. The 2008 elections caused buying to go crazy and companies are forced to up their production capacity or get swept out to sea.

Then, buying stopped just as suddenly and now you have companies capable of producing rifles much higher than the lower demand that hit almost without warning.

Then Sandy Hook happens, and you're in for round two.

A lot of companies lay off and rehire employees in this industry. It's just one of the costs of a volatile market. Nothing to be worried about IMO.

R0CKETMAN
03-07-14, 18:51
Maybe it was the 14% they added to fulfill last year's craze. One would assume zero negative impact on product quality.

wildcard600
03-07-14, 19:02
not surprised. AR market is saturated and stagnate at the moment and the economy continues to be in the crapper. Everyone who didn't have an AR bought one, and everyone who wants another ain't got no money to buy more.

kwelz
03-07-14, 19:10
Yeah this is far from concerning. Gun sales were at an all time high. Companies expanded to keep up. The smart ones did limited expansions and planned for the eventual lowering of demand. DD was one such company. They expanded but not to the point where they could not sustain themselves when things leveled out. They laid off 35 people out of about 250. Not terrible at all.

redmist
03-07-14, 19:50
They are not the only major or well known AR manufacturer that has had layoffs in the last two months.

HKGuns
03-07-14, 20:11
It is and should be confidence building. They are managing their business effectively and matching production and thus employment with demand.

samuse
03-07-14, 20:38
I just bought a complete DD upper and a new Lite Rail III.

I'm glad they're doing what they have to do to stay in business, but I hate to hear of people losing work...

TacticalSledgehammer
03-07-14, 21:17
They make a good rifle, but they needed to break out of the ar15 only mold. Before Shot show many of us DD fans were hoping to to see something in 7.62. It never happened. Instead we got a butt stock, pistol grip, and brown.

ScatmanCrothers
03-07-14, 21:40
Maybe it was the 14% they added to fulfill last year's craze. One would assume zero negative impact on product quality.

Exactly my thinking. Would like to know their total number of employees after the layoffs and before the panic.

But like others have said it is just how business goes. Effectively staffing a workforce to match demand is a tough thing to do, both in estimating and implementing. Firing folks sucks, I hate doing it. But it does drive those remaining workers to not be at the bottom of the list next time cuts come around which can lead to improved production with a smaller staff and workers taking on more responsibilities. Not worried about DD at this point.

harm
03-07-14, 21:56
Didn't they hire a bunch of newbies when the rush began?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
03-07-14, 22:08
I'd actually expect this from any manufacturer that expanded to meet the SH demand.

Jwknutson17
03-07-14, 23:06
Normal business practices. Cut costs or go down with the ship. I would expect more in the near future from other manufacturers.

RogerinTPA
03-07-14, 23:12
It's the economy and folks have less disposable income, but don't worry...when CT attempts a gun confiscation or another mass shooting occurs, gun sales will once again blow through the roof.

wild_wild_wes
03-08-14, 19:57
Yet they announced that they would not be selling M4 RIS II in Dark Earth to civilians this year because all are going for a big military order.

Moose-Knuckle
03-08-14, 21:07
Its due to their new furniture . . . :jester:

RWH24
03-08-14, 22:04
Its due to their new furniture . . . :jester:
Lack of new furniture, no key mod rails...