PDA

View Full Version : Gun show = good deals?

Prelude
05-23-08, 13:00
Greeting!
First time AR builder here. Got a newbie question. There is a gun show coming up in two weeks, do I get better deals there or simplily look around on internet for on sale items? I think I will get a lower at gun show to save on FFL fee, but how about other stuff?

Nathan_Bell
05-23-08, 13:09
In general gunshows are not a good place for deals.

mark5pt56
05-23-08, 13:10
Welcome!

Big question is where are you and then some users may be able to help with suggested dealers and show places. My experience around SE Va. is don't waste your time.

For the most part, spec out what you want and go to a dealer on this site. Unless you can find exactly what you want from a private source.

Mark

Prelude
05-23-08, 13:25
Guys, thank you so much!
I am from Portland, Oregon.
I am looking for LMT 16" M4 style AR-15 with CTR stock.
Not sure about those FF rails but I think I will add the drop ins later...

Thanks again~!

Spurholder
05-23-08, 13:29
I went to a gun show last weekend for the first time in years...from wading through a sea of junk to overpriced ammo to someone trying to sell me shoe inserts...that was an hour of my life that I'll never get back.

Scattergun
05-23-08, 13:43
I have gotten some good deals at gunshows. I have also seen some products that I was thinking about ordering online until I picked them up and took a good look at them.
I enjoy going and looking and playing with the stuff, even if I don't buy anything.

Renegade
05-23-08, 14:29
Greeting!
First time AR builder here. Got a newbie question. There is a gun show coming up in two weeks, do I get better deals there or simplily look around on internet for on sale items? I think I will get a lower at gun show to save on FFL fee, but how about other stuff?

Depends upon where you live. In some areas, gun shows are a ripoff, in others, they are where you get the best deals.

b_saan
05-23-08, 16:33
Regardless of whether you're buying at a gun show, an internet seller or a local shop you still need to shop around to find the "best deal". The "best deal" is also a combination of price AND whatever level service you require, some people forget about that 2nd part in their quest for the best price. That said I'vee seen some good deals at Crossroads and some really overpriced crap and some people will bargain on their displayed prices and some won't so anyplace is going to be YMMV. Good luck!

tinman44
05-23-08, 20:27
guns shows used to have great deals, then alot of the tables got rented by ppl selling crap made in china. last few i've been to i have found them to be overpriced way overpriced. theres a belief that gun shows have best deals, this belief has been passed around since gun shows were a good deal. point is gun shows follow business models like all others, once they are popular why not charge what ppl will pay. i know of a few stores here in georgia that survive because of gun shows and basically use their store fronts as storage between shows. 13 years ago i went to all of them, i havent been to maybe 5 in last 8 years, and two of those were last year, i was trying to buy ammo but found that they were 100$ per 1k higher than my local store. i felt ripped off for my entrance fee after that. this was one of the last best shows in georgia and it sucked, but reminded me of the good times when gas was 1$ a gallon and you could get a can of 5.56 for 100$, those are gone forever.

BAC
05-23-08, 21:46
In Florida gun shows have taken a turn for the worst: higher price, worse selection, pushier McCain booths, etc. Anvil Arms and Spike's Tactical are the two best folks to see at gun shows; the prices they've offered are actually realistic and competitive.

$400 for an Enfield, the same for a K98 Mauser, and Mosin Nagant prices passing $300 are the usual "deals" to be found.

-B

chadbag
05-24-08, 02:52
Sounds like Gun Shows elsewhere have kind of had the same issues as here in Utah, Basically they stink in terms of getting a good deal, most of the time. Sometimes some of the small private guys have interesting pieces. Around here they have become more like flea markets. I stopped seeing most of the serious shooters I know at the shows.

I stopped selling at the SLC one about 2 years ago. I don't sell on Sunday for personal family reasons, so was only there on the Saturday day. I set up a 2-table worth walk-through retail space with gridwall and shelving etc on a back wall corner so there was more room. I used to make $200-$400 in profit in one day. My last two shows, after subtracting out my immediate costs [table fees plus fuel] but not accounting for my time at all [I lived about 6 miles away but had a large trailer to move back and forth and a diesel truck to feed], I made about $30 and $10. People just don't buy. I was offering good prices on stuff. No one was buying. I gave up. It was not worth shutting down my business for 2 days, packing everything up, transporting, setting up, selling, tearing down quickly, and then spending a day or two to set back up in my stockroom.

As the gun shows have become more like flea markets with chiropractors, cell phones, sugar baby rodents, crystal and other "women" things, in addition to some guns and gun accessories, the serious shooters have stopped coming and the good vendors have stopped exhibiting.

At least around here.

Some shows are still interesting. I would like to attend the SAR show in Phoenix one of these days.

Chad

Gutshot John
05-24-08, 07:27
You CAN find good deals, but it's often akin to a needle in the haystack because gun shows, like life, are filled with unrealistic mofos. If you go there with the intention of finding X gun at Y price, you'll probably only frustrate yourself. I'm not sure how you save on FFL fees by going to a show vs. buying online though.

Simply put it's much easier to find deals by shopping around online or just by being a regular customer of a gun store. I used to shop a lot online, but more and more often I want to buy in person so I just go to my local gunshop. They know me, know I'm an educated customer and so they give me a fair price cause they know I can find what I want elsewhere if they don't. In turn I reward them with my business. It's actually old fashioned American customer service right out of the 1950s.

It's an actual relationship and I must say I do like it especially when I've had problems...they fix them. Their gunsmith is also top-notch...something you can't get online.

olivers_AR
05-24-08, 07:37
Greeting!

Think of the gunshow as a learning and validation exercise. If you've done your research both on the 'net and with local shops, you can get compare prices and possibly meet some local shops that your not aware of at the show. There is a guy that comes to the VA shows that builds uppers and fixes uppers, installs barrels, its like watching a craftsman. The one thing that you do learn is that maybe building and headspacing an upper might not be the thing for the first AR build, save it for one of the later builds:D

That also being said, check out the member for sale boards and equipment exchanges sections of forums, there are good deals to be had. Sometimes word of mouth, ask people that you know at the range, I'm looking for a lower, LPK, etc., someone may also have a spare that they are willing to sell to fund another project.

Hope this helps,

--Olivers_AR

PS: If we don't buy from the other vendors (beef jerky, fine china, luggage, etc) at the gunshows, they will go away becuase they won't make any money;)

OldNavyGuy
05-24-08, 08:28
Greeting!

but how about other stuff?

if the "other stuff" product & quality is the same, figure in the S&H, if you break even then it's a good deal because of the waiting time for the item you want/need to arrive at your door, having it in hand to me takes priority..., just my OPINION

C4IGrant
05-24-08, 11:48
Greeting!

IMHO, gun shows are a HORRIBLE place to find most anything of either quality or good prices. The internet has replaced the need for gun shows (to a certain degree).

Owning a gun shop, I see a lot of broken guns of all flavors come in. The majority of the time after I quote them a price to fix their weapon, 90% of the time their response to me is "I'll just sell at the next gun show." :rolleyes:

Gun shows are also a horrible place to get accurate data as most people at them don't know what they don't know.

C4

ToddG
05-24-08, 11:50
Gun shows are also a horrible place to get accurate data as most people at them don't know what they don't know.

I've never bought anything useful at a gun show, and only go when friends drag me along once a year or so (I don't have many friends :cool:). SHOT is my idea of a good gun show.

olivers_AR
05-24-08, 13:52
One that that gunshows might be good for is picking up reloading supplies in small quanities, and avoiding HAZMAT fees. If your going to test out a new powder or just want a few primers, it will save fees, plus you have the advantage of having it now to finish a weekend effort.

Bulky objects like ammo cans that aren't economical to ship also come to mind.

--Olivers_AR

chadbag
05-24-08, 17:12
PS: If we don't buy from the other vendors (beef jerky, fine china, luggage, etc) at the gunshows, they will go away becuase they won't make any money;)

I don't mind the beef jerky -- that is kind of outsdoors/camping/hunting related which is close enough for me. The china, cell phones, chiropractors, non gun/hunting toys, sugar baby rodents, etc is all crap though.

JLM
05-24-08, 19:45
When I lived in GASP, Denver, I used to go just to get cases of 3131A for 165.00 a case. :p

Other than that they serve no useful function for the most part. Lots of overpriced shit being sold by people that don't KNOW shit.