PDA

View Full Version : New stock for a 1917

Chipper78
03-07-14, 19:12
About three years ago my Granddad gave me a sporterized Winchester model of 1917. It was his mule deer gun back in the sixties and he took a good many with it. He gave it to me to use for hunting and I have used it and absolutely love it. It's a very accurate gun, have been told by two gunsmiths that the barrel is original and in excellent condition. At some point the rear sight was removed and replaced with a windage and elevation adjustable Redfield peep sight. Anyhow, I would like to change the stock to a nice synthetic one as the wood stock is heavy and not very attractive. Anyone know where I could get a good one? I don't thing that I will drill and tap it for a scope as I might want to put it back to military status one day. Thanks for the help.

HKGuns
03-07-14, 19:21
I can't help you with a poly stock, but they are very much worth restoring back to their stock as issued condition. Parts are getting a bit harder to find so you might want to buy soon if you plan on pursuing that option.

This one had its stock chopped to turn it into a deer rifle. Luckily, that is all that was done to it and there were no changes done to the metal. I bought a replacement stock off ebay and some of the miscellaneous stock parts as well and it is now as issued.

http://HKGuns.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v8/p908234421-4.jpg

Good luck with your search for a poly stock.

goodoleboy
03-08-14, 13:49
I just bought an Eddystone 1917 and am thrilled with it. To second what's already been said, finding one in as-issued condition is getting hard. I would get an issue stock before they get any higher and go from there. Mine will shoot 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards with the issued irons and factory ammo (in issued configuration). That's as good as good as my Model 70 Featherweight with Leupold glass. Currently working on a hand load.

Chipper78
03-08-14, 19:07
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will get the parts to return it to as issued, even if I don't do it now at
least I would have them on hand when I want to do it. It is a sweet shooter though, maybe I'll get lucky and find another one so I can have one as issued and one for a hunting rifle. Thanks again.