PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on this ambi charging handle upgrade please...

CLJ94104
03-08-14, 01:25
Help me decide guys. I've been searching for a decent comparison of the BCM A44 and the Rainier Arms Raptor. I can't seem to find one that is satisfactory. Good review by Twang and Bang on the Raptor, but nothing on the A44. I have a BCM Mod 4 on there now, but I want an ambi charging handle. Who has some good experience running these? The Raptor will be $15 more, and I don't know that its really worth it. Its going on a BCM BFH 16" KMR middy. Pic related.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/clj94104/DSCN0072_zps33fa75d8.jpg

blackbox
03-08-14, 01:37
You look like a BCM fan so maybe get the BCM charging handle since you have a BCM upper and lower. Please be careful if you decide to go with the raptor, there's some counterfeits floating around the market. The real McCoy has different size latches ( left latch is bigger than the right latch). The fake raptor has both latches the same size. Purchase from a reputable seller and you can't go wrong. That's a great looking carbine you have there, hope that you have an awesome fun time with it :)

3 AE
03-08-14, 01:39
Do you have two ARs? If so, buy one of each and test them out yourself. Then you will positively, absolutely, know for sure which one is good for you. Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of replies stating their's is so much awesome in the world of awesomeness. Belay that. If you only have one AR, buy both and run them in each class, range session, malfunction drills, etc. Keep the one that performs to your requirements, and either sell the loser or keep it as a backup.

Knyghtmare
03-08-14, 03:28
I really like the BCM. The Raptor is very nice, but I am not a fan of the sharper and squared edges.

E-man930
03-08-14, 06:55
I have owned and used both, and now only use Raptors.

titanse05
03-08-14, 07:15
Raptor >>> BCM Mod 44

If you determine otherwise you are in the vast minority. This is coming from someone that has owned and used both.

Just be sure to buy from a reputable dealer as there are counterfeits floating around. If you buy on eBay or Amazon there is a good chance you will get a counterfeit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Voodoo_Man
03-08-14, 08:10
raptor ftw.

wirides
03-08-14, 09:52
Can we assume DSG Arms is a reputable dealer for the raptor?

Voodoo_Man
03-08-14, 09:55
Can we assume DSG Arms is a reputable dealer for the raptor?

DSG is good to go.

If you are on the fence if they have something in stock, call them and ask. I've been ordering from them for years and never had an issue.

VIP3R 237
03-08-14, 09:59
I prefer the raptor, but the bcm is much better at blocking gas blow back if you are running a suppressor. Both are excellent and I have multiples of each.

HighSpeedDreams
03-08-14, 12:29
+1 on the Raptor.

Voodoo_Man
03-08-14, 12:32
http://i.imgur.com/J8XAUPJ.jpg

F-Trooper05
03-08-14, 17:06
Guess I'm in the minority. I don't think either one is really better than the other. I will say my Raptor (bought directly from Rainier) doesn't always latch onto the receiver (SR15) if I push it forward with the bolt locked back, unless I lift up on the handle. Don't have that issue with the BCM.

DreadPirateMoyer
03-08-14, 17:09
If you ever plan on using a suppressor, the BCM is the clear winner. The gas that blows back into your eyes will be lesser due to the ledge it has at the rear that mates up with the upper receiver. The Raptor lacks this, and lets too much gas blow into your face.

I've owned both, and all of my guns run the BCM for the above reason. It's not even a contest.

discreet
03-08-14, 17:19
Guess I'm in the minority. I don't think either one is really better than the other. I will say my Raptor (bought directly from Rainier) doesn't always latch onto the receiver (SR15) if I push it forward with the bolt locked back, unless I lift up on the handle. Don't have that issue with the BCM.

Are you riding the handle forward or just letting go and letting it slam back in?

NM I see its just when you have the bolt locked back. Since your not closing it with the force of the bolt going forward, of course you may have to pull back on the wing a bit to get it on.

titanse05
03-08-14, 17:30
I could see where the BCM would be better at directing gas blowback better than the Raptor. But I don't bother with suppressors.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

TexasGunNut
03-08-14, 19:32
If you ever plan on using a suppressor, the BCM is the clear winner. The gas that blows back into your eyes will be lesser due to the ledge it has at the rear that mates up with the upper receiver. The Raptor lacks this, and lets too much gas blow into your face.

I've owned both, and all of my guns run the BCM for the above reason. It's not even a contest.

I love the functionality of the Raptor, but for suppressed the BCM works best for me.

sndmn11
03-08-14, 19:40
I have used a Raptor (not the BCM though) and think that it is a breeze to use and the workmanship is a thing of beauty.

Zirk208
03-08-14, 23:31
Only have experience with the Raptor. I love it.
I also bought mine through DSG Arms. It was during Christmas time and they were backordered for a few weeks, but I got it with no issues.

SamM
03-09-14, 06:17
Raptor CH and the B.A.D. A.S.S. Lever. Best mods you'll ever make.

kpinole
03-09-14, 11:23
I have both the Raptor and BCM and I prefer the BCM for its longer latches. I've jammed my finger on the FA a few time w/ the Raptor.

CLJ94104
03-11-14, 21:19
Welp! Y'all convinced me. A Raptor is now on order through an authorized distributor of Rainier Arms! I may be a BCM whore, but the Raptor seems much more innovative and robust. I want the best.

ButcherGY55
03-16-14, 13:47
Great choice! I have both and the Raptor is my favorite.

Judicator
03-16-14, 15:39
I have both bcm and raptor... I like the sleekness and how beefy the raptor is.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

the 556 guy
03-16-14, 15:49
Love my raptors

When the range becomes two-way, choose between being the fastest, most accurate shot or the fastest to cover...

sava
03-19-14, 23:38
I run the BCM Mod 4 charging handle on my guns. I can get two of the BCM's for the price of one raptor, so that is my reasoning. Yes the Raptor looks nice, but I don't see myself dropping that much coin on a charging handle.

jason1975
04-30-14, 00:07
Raptor