PDA

View Full Version : Proof why you ALWAYS insure your Guns/Propperty

TurretGunner
03-08-14, 07:54
Got a call at like 10AM from my GF. Her apt people called and said there was a fire in her building(Odenton, right in front of Ft. Meade). She leaves work (Annapolis) and is balling. Try to calm her down.

Fire started on apartment next door on 3rd floor and spread quickly. Everything from the top 3 floors is gone, poof... disappeared.

Shitty situation but they are young, have great family and friends and ill bounce back. There were some .mil personal that lived there too and the support group/chaplins/CoC were great helping their people out.

I had a Tavor and a G26 at her place....both are melted somewhere on the 1st floor after everything collapsed.

Luckily the apartment complex requires all tenets to have liability renters insurance with a $20K minimum. I know its not a lot, but it will help them rebuild what they owned. I truly feel horrible for the people who either don't have friends/fam in the area or aren't in the military as they really have NOTHING besides what they are wearing. Amazingly, no one was injured and most pets were rescued.

I left work and got there before 12am doing about 120 on 295 and the fire was out for the most part when I got there. must have been 30 engines and support vehicles there.

Two real things I just wanted to point out.

1.Red Cross is amazing. They truly are a first rate organization and did everything they could to help facilitate insurance claims, they brought care packages and even put the people up in hotels for a couple days. I am soo impressed by the red cross workers I am going to change my CFC donations this year to the Red Cross. Whatever political or otherwise BS problems people have with them, They were the first on scence and honestly, the only ones who were doing anything with the families who lost everything. Hell the rental office was signing LEASES with new tenets when there is a smoldering fire 100 feet away.

2. Insure your valuables. A gun safe would not have done shit here. A fire can easily spike to 2000*+ degrees and that would destroy any safe on the market under $5K. Even if they had some high end safe, it would have fell though 3 floors with the rest of the junk. ALWAYS insure your stuff, and especialy your guns. My policy is "worldwide" so USAA should take care of me.

Here is some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP6kZtpw9x0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqPdid68Bc
http://www.wbal.com/article/105912/3/crews-respond-to-a-3-alarm-odenton-apartment-building-fire

Airhasz
03-08-14, 08:44
What a disaster, I'm glad everyone is safe! Great advice to get insurance cause you never know.

What vehicle are you driving that you were doing 120mph?

An Undocumented Worker
03-08-14, 09:21
USAA required separate riders on my firearms on top of regular renters.

TurretGunner
03-08-14, 09:38

Yup. Exactly what I did as well. It's less than $1 per 100 in value per year.

scoutfsu99
03-08-14, 09:40

Same here.

rushca01
03-08-14, 09:45
My guess that is to add theft coverage. Guns are covered under your contents limit for fire...

ShortytheFirefighter
03-10-14, 11:59
I've lost count of the apartment fires that I've been to, and it still amazes me how many people out there don't have rental insurance. When I was living in an apartment my rental insurance was 15 bucks or so a month, but because it bumped me into a multi-line discount on my car insurance it saved me 20 bucks a month. It's heartbreaking seeing people without it lose everything.

Glad to hear that she's ok and that she's got insurance to cover everything. You're right, the Red Cross is amazing at those scenes. I have to give the Salvation Army a ton of credit as well, they're great about getting out to support the firefighters at longer incidents. They'll send a truck with food and beverages for the firefighters, some of those scenes can last 6+ hours and they'll do it 24 hours a day. We make sure those volunteers staffing those units are very, very well thanked.

TriviaMonster
03-10-14, 16:47
We pay $8 per month through the company that insures our cars, we get 50k in coverage, its an easy decision.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ed L.
03-10-14, 19:56
Sorry to hear about the fire.

You have to check insurance as many vary with regards to firearms coverage on fire and theft. Many are limited to $1000-$2000 coverage on firearms, regardless of what the total coverage is.

Thus, you may need to have a separate policy to cover your firearms.