PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about motor oil for you knowledgeable types....

saddlerocker
03-08-14, 22:37
I have a 2012 Nissan frontier with 20k miles.
I have been using conventional oil, but was considering switching to synthetic since I it's only a couple bucks more when changing it myself.

But then a buddy tells me that unless you use synthetic from the get-go it's not beneficial or pointless.

Sounds like bs to me but figured I would ask some other people.

Thanks.

bluejackets92fs
03-08-14, 22:41
Synthetic oil is beneficial no matter what time you start. Just make sure you don't start using conventional after you have already used synthetic.

SilverBullet432
03-08-14, 22:57
Whatever you do. Stick to an OEM oil filter.

P2000
03-08-14, 22:57
I've made the switch in several vehicles. There are no worries.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2

Airhasz
03-08-14, 23:42
Synthetic oil is beneficial no matter what time you start. Just make sure you don't start using conventional after you have already used synthetic.

What will happen?

bluejackets92fs
03-09-14, 00:03
What will happen?

Its bad for your seals and gaskets. Im not sure why but I've been told to never switch back.

dentron
03-09-14, 00:13
Nothing wrong with regular oil, but synthetic is better if you want to go longer between changes or drive hard as it doesn't really break down. The most important thing is keeping a regular service schedule and, as previously mentioned, using an OEM filter. No one has more R&D in the design of their filter than the manufacturer. And you will not harm anything by using regular oil later. You will simply have a mixture of both for a while like when you switched in the first place.

Kyohte
03-09-14, 00:16
You'll be fine switching to synthetic. The difference (when it comes to mixing) between synthetic and conventional is mainly in the additives. They have been optimized for the type of oil. Most modern synthetics can be mixed with conventional with little problem, though it's better to pick one and stick with it (for the additive reasons). I've mixed them in a pinch on multiple occasions in both my motorcycle and truck with no problems.

You will benefit from synthetic, even when switching from conventional. If you want to go back to conventional afterward, but there really is no reason to.

Eurodriver
03-09-14, 10:33
I'll never go back to dinosaur oil. It costs more, but it evens out with longer life. My 2.5L holds 9 quarts of Mobil 1 and goes 15,000 miles between oil changes. No reason anyone should use dinosaur oil for anything other than engine break-in anymore.

El Cid
03-09-14, 10:40
Every vehicle I own gets full synthetic and a K&N oil filter. They all came from the factory with traditional oil and there were no harmful effects making the switch. That has been on SUV daily drivers and on performance cars I would run in autoX and HPDE events.

dentron
03-09-14, 10:42
I'll never go back to dinosaur oil. It costs more, but it evens out with longer life. My 2.5L holds 9 quarts of Mobil 1 and goes 15,000 miles between oil changes. No reason anyone should use dinosaur oil for anything other than engine break-in anymore.

FYI even dino oil lacks the additives needed to properly break in a new engine. You want to use diesel oil.

Don Robison
03-09-14, 10:44
Its bad for your seals and gaskets. Im not sure why but I've been told to never switch back.

That used to be the case with the early generations of synthetics because they contained esters. With modern oil(according to manufacturers like Royal Purple) you can not only switch back and forth, but mix conventional and synthetic as long as they are the same weight viscosity.

gunrunner505
03-09-14, 12:21
Motor oil must meet an SAE standard. As long as the oil meets that standard, and is the proper viscosity, it can be used and synthetic and conventional oils can be intermixed. You can find this standard and your proper viscosity in your owners manual.

When synthetic oils first came out the seals in the engine were incompatible with them and they would swell and sometimes leaked. That is no longer the case. Synthetic oil is superior because it uses a more highly refined base stock. Motor oil needs to be changed because it gets loaded with combustion by products and such from the engine and because the additive package in the oil breaks down over time. The oil itself retains lubricity but the addatives that help it deal with the harsh environment in a modern engine break down. Modern oils have much better additive packages as shown by the extended oil change intervals.

Modern gasoline engine oils no longer have zinc in them. The zinc was there to help the cam live in the older engines that used a flat tappet cam. Cars haven't been built new with flat tappet cams since the 80s, they are all either hydraulic roller valve trains or overhead cams. Diesel oil, like Rotella, still has this zinc as does some specialty oils so if you have an old hotrod, this is the way to go.

Short version, you'll be fine going to synthetic. And use a quality oil filter like a K&N or Wix.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JusticeM4
03-09-14, 18:32
No harm in switching to Full Syn, although with such low miles as you don't really need it yet. If you buy/use good conventional oil like Mobil1 or Castrol, you should be ok for up to 100k miles. Changing your oil and filter routinely is more important than the type of oil you use (as long as you stick to the correct oil of course).

In my last car I did not switch to full synthetic until after 100k miles. I sold it when it had 215k miles and the engine was still running good, although the car itself was getting old.

E-man930
03-09-14, 18:33
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/mult_gas_and_oil/mult_oil_article.htm

E-man930
03-09-14, 18:34
If you wish to make your head explode or become an "oil guru" here you go...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/367300-ultimate-motor-oil-thread-why-we-hate-cj4-sm-oils.html

Hmac
03-09-14, 18:50

Nah. You can switch back and forth whenever you feel like it.

ForTehNguyen
03-09-14, 18:54
doing it just to save the labor on oil changes is worth it. Especially when you have to watch 5 family cars like me. Synthetic can go 10k miles easily. Synthetic has better lubrication larger temperature ranges before warm up also. Synthetic wont thicken up as much as dino oil does at low temperatures.

williejc
03-09-14, 23:50
I also have had great service from synthetic oil but admit that regular oil changes are one reason. Also, I use synthetics in the transmission and rear end as well. I've noticed that many folks overlook having rear end lube changed.

rjacobs
03-09-14, 23:56
Im an Amsoil dealer so I am biased towards their products, but for good reason. There are a few oils that I think maybe "better" than Amsoil like Eneos or maybe Joe Gibbs racing oils, but they are VERY expensive.

switching back and forth is not an issue. It was on vehicles that used cork gaskets, but nobody has used cork gaskets in 20 years.

Mobil 1 is NOT synthetic, but a highly refined conventional with a ton of additives in it. Amsoil has 2 levels of oil that are "blends" and 1 that is a 100% full synthetic.

Factory filters are ok, most aftermarket are not great, but to say only use a factory filter because "they are the best" isnt really a true statement. K&N filters are good, Amsoil filters are good(they use a synthetic element), Mobil filters are good, Wix filters are pretty good too.

I have used Redline and Royal Purple in the past. Royal purple has a lot of bad reviews out there for destroying certain metals in engines and transmissions due to their additive package. I stay away from it due to the "unknown". Redline I had a bad experience in it burning off VERY easily(well below what it should have) with basically no sign it was burning off.

Amsoil has been great and has a huge following for a reason. I will admit some of their claims may be a bit out there, but overall the results that Amsoil provides speak for themselves.

With long drain interval synthetics such as Amsoil I always recommend to my customers to run oil analysis. We did oil analysis on my dads Dodge Cummins over 125k miles of towing a 14k lb 5th wheel. We had a by-pass filter setup in it(5 micron's). After 15k miles of towing through Colorado for 3 months we sent the oil in and the comments from Blackstone was "why did you change the oil so soon" or something along those lines and the analyst thought we could go 25k or more and that was beating on it towing in the mountains. Now a lot of that probably had to do with the bypass filter, but I was very impressed.

As far as the high zinc oils like Rotella or Amsoil's Z-Rod, its still beneficial in some cars. I run it in my Jeep with the 4.0 straight 6. I also run it in my Camaro with an LS3, but that car doesnt get driven much. I wouldnt run it in something like a Honda or the like simply because you wont see the benefit.

brickboy240
03-10-14, 10:26
At 20k miles...you should see no adverse effects. I bought my 06 Tundra with 12k on the clock and began it's diet of Mobil 1 only since then. Today, I have 240k on that truck and it still runs great and doe not leak a drop.

People often ask if synthetic is worth the price. I always say...it depends on your car/driving habits. If you keep a car maybe 4-5 years and put under 100k on it...you are wasting your money on synthetic oils.

If you are like me and keep a vehicle several hundred thousand miles and put 30-40k miles a year on the thing...yeah..use synthetic and a quality filter always. I tend to keep most cars between 12-15 years and put 200-300k miles on them. You notice the "effects" of synthetics well after 100k miles.

My current 06 Tundra and both our Saabs get Mobil 1 and a Bosch oil filter every change and never go more than 4000 miles between changes. The Tundra has 240k on the clock, one Saab has 170k and the other has 75k and all are running very well.

-brickboy240

Hmac
03-10-14, 11:15
doing it just to save the labor on oil changes is worth it. Especially when you have to watch 5 family cars like me. Synthetic can go 10k miles easily. Synthetic has better lubrication larger temperature ranges before warm up also. Synthetic wont thicken up as much as dino oil does at low temperatures.

It has no better detergent capability than any other oil, however. Extended drain intervals are a bad idea. Acids and other combustion products just sit and sit. Nothing magic about synthetics to prevent that. Only real advantage over modern engine oil is enhanced lubricity...useful in cold weather starting. Otherwise, use whatever oil and use it according to mfgr's drain interval recommendations.

The oil companies are not smarter than the engine manufacturer, who is also on the hook for warranty repairs.

ForTehNguyen
03-10-14, 17:01
many car companies are moving towards 10k oil change intervals with synthetic. Ive done two oil analysis on 100k miles engines with TBN check, below average wear counts, and those also come back with 10k miles suggested oil change intervals. Heck many cars are coming with the oil % reminder where you dont change the oil until it gets 15% or below. Car mags have gone over 10k miles with the oil % meter before it said to change the oil

ClearedHot
03-11-14, 11:33
From personal experience, I can tell you that engines that are running a good quality synthetic oil with the proper additives/detergents will last longer and stay cleaner than engines that are run on dino oil. All one has to do is pull the cylinder head and see the difference. My C63 AMG runs exclusively on Redline synthetic oil. The factory recommends Mobil 1 synthetic, but I've found Mobil 1 shears too much and breaks down too quickly. I've had good luck with Redline in the past and stick with it. 5w-40 for the street and 15w50 for the track.