PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Cowitness or 1/3 Cowitness?

Tacti-square
03-09-14, 04:44
I was looking at Micro T-1 mounting options on Larue's site and noticed a few different options. Just curious as to what the more popular option is and why. If you don't use either, please elaborate on that as well.

SamM
03-09-14, 06:09
I have my Aimpoint 2 MOA T1 on a LaRue LT660HK mount and it co-witnesses perfectly. Would not change a thing. My Tavor has an ELCAN SpecterDR that co-witnesses with a set of Gen 2 Magpuls.

hotrodder636
03-09-14, 06:50
Personally when I use an RDS, I do not like having the FSP obstruct the clear view of the target/dot. Personal preference.

Bushytale
03-09-14, 07:39
Lower 1/3 gives you a cleaner picture looking over the front sight and a more heads up position. For co-witness just lower your head slightly and look through the sights. I have a T-1 with the LT-660 on my HD AR with fixed front sight and folded rear.

Bear1
03-09-14, 07:42
I went absolute for my t1 - larue 751 qd. I have flip BUIS so no fsp interference. Even so I would prefer my red dot resting on the tip of my fsp.

As others have said - personal preference.

The important part is that you get a high quality mount, which you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heat-ar
03-09-14, 08:45
I went absolute for my t1 - larue 751 qd. I have flip BUIS so no fsp interference. Even so I would prefer my red dot resting on the tip of my fsp.

As others have said - personal preference.

The important part is that you get a high quality mount, which you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^I have same set up and love it^^. I used to like lower 1/3 but have change after trying absolute.

Jwknutson17
03-09-14, 08:55
I choose absolute with flip ups. With fixed front I would run 1/3. No longer have any fixed front sights so co witness it is. As said above. Quality mount is more important then the absolute or 1/3 debate.

samuse
03-09-14, 09:03
A little higher is a LOT better for 99.9% of users. It gives you a lot more forgiveness in mounting/cheek weld, not to mention ear pro/helmet clearance.

Code3Patriot
03-09-14, 09:27
Like others have said, this comes down to personal preference.

All of my rifles have a FSP (also a personal preference) and Aimpoint M4 with LaRue absolute mounts (LT659-NV).

It works great for me because of all the training time I've had with this particular setup. For me it's more distracting to have the FSP in the lower 1/3rd - I'll always drive my cheek as far into the stock as possible trying to get the FSP to center through the Aimpoint. This comes from many years of shooting irons and EOTech mounted directly onto flattop uppers.

Absolute feels the most instant, comfortable and familiar to me. YMMV.

ajacobs
03-09-14, 11:05
Absolute if there is flip up rear sights, regardless of fixed, or flip up front.

Lower 1/3 for fixed rear sight, usually DD a1.5.

Obviously no need for lower 1/3 with flip up dogjts and I find the rear sight the only one that distracts me.

TacticalMark
03-09-14, 11:16
I like lower 1/3, comes down to personal preference.

militarymoron
03-09-14, 11:18
Thread moved to the correct section.

El Cid
03-09-14, 12:43
I prefer absolute if I can have my preferred fold down BUIS for the shorter overall height of the weapon.

If I'm stuck with fixed irons then I prefer the lower 1/3 for less of a cluttered view through the optic.

Bpc9876
03-09-14, 13:18
Like many others, I run absolute co witness with flip up front and rear sights. Although I have no rifles with a FSB at the moment I can see where a lower 1/3 would be welcome. Definitely personal preference and training but for me it's absolute.

Arkansas Bob
03-09-14, 13:41
Absolute with fixed front and rear. Looking through the aperture actually makes the dot in my aimpoint look like a dot. The dot is cleaner for me like this without corrective lenses than when wearing a contact or glasses and no rear sight.

T2C
03-09-14, 14:31
I've tried several red dot sights and keep going back to my original setup. Aimpoint 4 MOA dot @ lower 1/3. It's worked well for 13 years.

SpankMonkey
03-09-14, 16:06
Lower 1/3rd for me. Allows my head more positions when shooting around or under objects. Plus using head pro or mask.

ajacobs
03-09-14, 17:30
Lower 1/3rd for me. Allows my head more positions when shooting around or under objects. Plus using head pro or mask.

I hear this often. You find that 2/10th of an inch makes that much difference?

MountainRaven
03-09-14, 18:15
Absolute would be OK if the front sight folds.

Otherwise, 1/3 regardless of whether the rear does or not.

(For simplicity and consistency, I choose 1/3 for reflex sights. Magnifieds go absolute, but only go on rifles with folding front sights for me.)

cj5_dude
03-09-14, 19:03
I first had a lower third and I couldn't stand it. I could never get a quick and consistent sight picture because my cheek weld was never right. I went to an absolute co-witness and have not looked back since. Lower third makes sense for some purposes and users, but I think most people will prefer absolute co-witness. Also for mounts, don't forget to look at Bobro mounts.

Obscenejesster
03-09-14, 20:15
When running red dots, I prefer lower 1/3rd with a fixed rear and front sight.

The sight picture stays clear and if I need to engage the irons, their just a quick drop in cheek weld away.

I was in the middle of a Suarez carbine class using an Eotech this past year. I was using a Eotech in absolute with front and rear flip sights. The batteries died in the middle of a drill and that's when I realized how long it took to flip up both sights and then re-engage the target. I would have been dead had the targets been shooting back.

Ever since that experience, I've switched both of my rifles running red dots to lower 1/3rd with fixed sights.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Koshinn
03-09-14, 20:26
When running red dots, I prefer lower 1/3rd with a fixed rear and front sight.

The sight picture stays clear and if I need to engage the irons, their just a quick drop in cheek weld away.

I was in the middle of a Suarez carbine class using an Eotech this past year. I was using a Eotech in absolute with front and rear flip sights. The batteries died in the middle of a drill and that's when I realized how long it took to flip up both sights and then re-engage the target. I would have been dead had the targets been shooting back.

Ever since that experience, I've switched both of my rifles running red dots to lower 1/3rd with fixed sights.

The first thing I would have changed was the eotech, not the buis. Just sayin.

SpankMonkey
03-09-14, 20:32
I hear this often. You find that 2/10th of an inch makes that much difference?

For me it does. I have a huge head. I don't have the problem of getting low enough that some guys do.

Obscenejesster
03-09-14, 21:37
The first thing I would have changed was the eotech, not the buis. Just sayin.

I did that as well... I replaced it with a T1

Hill_Country556
04-16-14, 22:44
Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a question. If you are set up for absolute cowitness with an Eotech, and the dot is still on no matter where you look at it in the window, can't you just simply raise your head up a smidge and have a lower 1/3 sight picture?

Hill_Country556
04-16-14, 22:48
In other words, can't you just look over the irons at the dot and have the uncluttered lower 1/3 sight picture?

TehLlama
04-16-14, 23:23
In other words, can't you just look over the irons at the dot and have the uncluttered lower 1/3 sight picture?

Kind of, but the top of the optic winds up around the middle of your view. Your logic is 100% spot on, just being applied backwards. With EOTechs, the big advantage is that giant field of view - if you mount it at a lower 1/3 position, it's more of a case that if you're lined up where the iron sights would be (absolute cowitness), you can still see the reticle perfectly, and plenty else. You can then move your head a long way up higher comfortably without losing the reticle, and be able to run that just fine, which is sometimes necessary shooting from odd positions.

Canonshooter
08-28-16, 12:47
Thread Revival

My approach is a little unorthodox: my 16" BCM ELW with KMR-A rail is set up with a Troy HK-style front sight (currently folding, going to switch to a fixed), an Aimpoint PRO in an absolute co-witness mount and a KAC 600 Micro BUIS in the rear. My goal is to avoid anything that requires fine motor skills under stress, such as flipping up a BUIS or even moving my head to align a front and rear BUIS.

With the AP PRO mounted forward on the upper receiver, it serves as a perfect ghost ring for the HK-style front sight (a circle around a circle), allowing fast "dot-less" hits on paper plates out to around 20 yards without having to shift my focus off the target. I practice for proficiency with the AP turned off for those occasions when the red dot becomes washed out in bright light and difficult to track. In normal use as long as the red dot remains visible, it remains my "aim point" regardless of it's position in relation to the front sight (with consistent cheek weld it's usually sitting right there near the top of the front post anyway). Thus I use absolute co-witness and unless forced into an awkward shooting position (or need to get a shot off really fast), strive for consistent cheek weld.

For my brain wiring the advantages of this arrangement are (1) the naturally-centered front sight places the dot on the target faster when shouldering; (2) provides seamless/instantaneous transition if the dot gets washed out in bright light with enough precision for close-range targets and (3) allows me to use the irons and Aimpoint as an intuitively integrated system instead of as "one or the other." Additionally, due to mild astigmatism, the dot is much sharper/rounder when viewed through an aperture, so the rear BUIS is only used when maximum precision is needed or in the event the irons must be used as stand-alone.

At least for me, I find the regular inclusion of the front sight centered in the large FOV of the PRO as intuitive to the aiming process and as such, non-distracting when using the dot as the aiming point. Obviously some prefer the more "uncluttered sight picture" of lower 1/3 and prefer to use the dot or the irons separately. As is always the case with rifle sighting systems, YMMV.

SeriousStudent
08-28-16, 18:24
I don't think we need a thread revival for a poll conducted by someone that was permanently banned a year ago, and will never be back. He's not going to be here for any follow-up conversation.

Thanks.