PDA

View Full Version : Stand Your Ground defense falls flat in shooting of deputy

RWH24
03-09-14, 11:33
http://www.pnj.com/article/20140308/NEWS01/303080016/Stand-Your-Ground-defense-falls-flat-in-shoting-of-Escambia-deputy?odyssey=obinsite&nclick_check=1

This attorney is another smooth nut defending a self confessed alcohol and marijuana user.

Florida, Snow Bird Capitol of the Northeast.

discreet
03-09-14, 14:00
http://www.pnj.com/article/20140308/NEWS01/303080016/Stand-Your-Ground-defense-falls-flat-in-shoting-of-Escambia-deputy?odyssey=obinsite&nclick_check=1

This attorney is another smooth nut defending a self confessed alcohol and marijuana user.

Yea this case was a lil diff as he was hanging with a criminal. But your comment, a confessed alcohol user? It didn't day he was an alcoholic, just that he was drinking. I'm sure most people on this site drink every now and again, and probably more than a few have smoked pot at least once in their lives... Even many LEO's have tried pot or have got shit faced drunk at some point in their lives.

The key to this story was it was related to a robbery and a drug deal. Basically the guy who is being charged is a dumbass for hanging with who he was.

Koshinn
03-09-14, 14:21

You know that in America you're innocent until proven guilty and you have the right to an attorney, right? Everyone* gets a fair trial.

If you're a public defender, you don't choose who to defend, you get assigned who to defend and you do your absolute best with what you're given. Even if you know the guy is guilty and he basically admitted it to the world, you can't just give up or quit.

If it was a private practice attorney... he's getting paid a lot of money to do his best. I doubt it was a private defense attorney in this case.

Don't blame the attorney for the shitty hand he was dealt. Respect him for attempting to play it and not violating his oath.

*unless you're declared a terrorist, then you get sent to prison indefinitely or get droned.

jmoney
03-09-14, 22:23
You know that in America you're innocent until proven guilty and you have the right to an attorney, right? Everyone* gets a fair trial.

If you're a public defender, you don't choose who to defend, you get assigned who to defend and you do your absolute best with what you're given. Even if you know the guy is guilty and he basically admitted it to the world, you can't just give up or quit.

If it was a private practice attorney... he's getting paid a lot of money to do his best. I doubt it was a private defense attorney in this case.

Don't blame the attorney for the shitty hand he was dealt. Respect him for attempting to play it and not violating his oath.

*unless you're declared a terrorist, then you get sent to prison indefinitely or get droned.

I cannot agree with this more. Trial by media is becoming a more serious issue everyday. Even if the guy is guilty as hell he is absolutely entitled to his defense.

While some lawyers may be poor examples of human beings, those people exist in every profession.

Imagine being a public defender assigned to a a truly disgusting crime. The defendant is clearly guilty. How many people could put aside their absolute contempt for that person and still provide the vigorous defense that everyone, no matter what is entitled to?

Not many. And I can tell you from firsthand observation some of those lawyers are the finest people you ever meet.

RWH24
03-10-14, 01:28
said minutes prior to the shooting he consumed alcohol and marijuana inside the home with Jonathan Chappell
I just repeated what the defendant said he had done prior to the shooting. Do I think his abilities was possibly impaired by inducing alcohol and marihuana into his system. The more he had consumed,the more impaired he would probably be.

There is some uncertainty on how the verbal ID of the LEO went and there is when it went down hill.