PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X300 Ultra vs Fury as a WML on a carbine

acaixguard
03-09-14, 21:15
For the past couple years, I have run the Surefire X300, and now Ultra, on my carbine in the 12:00 position. I do see that a lot of people still prefer using a handheld variant, or Scout, mounted either on the side or the 11:00/1:00 position.

Other than the initial cost of the X300U unit, I have been happy with the setup. Seems to be the best option for ambi-control without having to use a tape switch. But I'm curious as to whether I'm missing something. Assuming equal light output, what are some reasons one would choose to run a handheld on a mount?

bp7178
03-09-14, 22:35
Larger reflector which casts a wider throw.

The X300s have a much more centralized hotspot than the Fury does. That being said, I'm only buying X300U in the future. Very compact, good switch options.

Mr blasty
03-10-14, 10:24
I too am interested in this question.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Koshinn
03-10-14, 11:37
Was going to make a new thread but I guess this fits...

How about Surefire x300u vs m300b vs m600u?

The x300u seems to be lighter, cheaper, and more versatile than either of the scout lights (12 o'clock mount, handgun mount, etc).

Kain
03-10-14, 20:39
Had a long response, but can pretty much cut it down to this. For some, light myself, the ergos of having a light out on a long rail or beyond the front sight are not conducive to good shooting, at least for myself, since once I begin pushing past nine inches it becomes uncomfortable. On the plus side it makes a middy an awesome platform for me. Also, I would say in regards to using a handheld is that it is often times cheaper than buying a dedicated weapon light. Though granted in regards to the fury, not by a whole hell of a lot over the X300U. However, if one looks at the G2X in the IWC mount I have on an MOE hand guard it is significantly cheaper running me less than $120 total. Also with a weapon light set up to be used with support thumb, when shooting weak side I can run my thumb over the hand guard to hit the button.Beyond that I say it is user preference. Some positions may be better in some ways over others, but they may not be feasible depending on the gear(be it grips, NV, or lasers or other items that the user wants or is forced to have mounted), FSB, rail, or hand guard that one is running. A rail affords more mounting options than a standard m4 handguard, and if you have a FSB you are also generally not able to mount a light at 12 o'clock without more gear/mounts. In the end, use what works best for you, if 12 o'clock with an X300U is the best go for it. I don't see there being one or two ways to properly mount and run a light, it simply depends on the gear, user, and mission requirements.

As far as thoughts on durability. My opinion is that all mentions, the Fury, X300U, M600U, M300B are all more than durable for combat. Though am biased towards the Scouts and would say they are going to be the most durable of the bunch. Granted with an X300U at 12 O'clock it isn't as likely to take a hard whack as something handing off at 3 O'clock. But, for me, my Scout at 3 O'clock is out of the way, will allow me to mount and use either irons or a micro red dot at 45 degree off set, and doesn't poke me when slung. Mounted at 11 O'clock it gets in the way of my normal grip.

goteron
03-10-14, 21:16
I really like both the scout lights and X300U's. I personally like the ergonomics of the X300U on the top rail. The scouts have an excellent mounting platform though.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/goteron/IMG_2962_zps88ee8de9.jpg (http://s575.photobucket.com/user/goteron/media/IMG_2962_zps88ee8de9.jpg.html)

Caeser25
03-15-14, 07:35
It was cheaper for me to buy a fury and a thorntail, but above all else, I wanted to run a micro ir laser at 12 0'clock. Had I not wanted to do that I'd probably run the x300u at 12 o'clock.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/Caeser001/IMG_1875_zps7778ff5d.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Caeser001/media/IMG_1875_zps7778ff5d.jpg.html)

El Cid
03-15-14, 09:28
I suspect some use barrel lights because of cost. This doesn't include the Scout which is more expensive than the X300. Certainly there is nothing wrong with them and a good shooter will make any setup work. On my duty rifle I have a barrel light in a Thorntail because I'm stuck with a fixed FSB and a 7" handguard.

Most of my rifles have a 12 o'clock mouthed X300 or WML. I'm now planning to upgrade the X300's with the EXO mount and call it a day. For me, the 12 o'clock setup is perfect. Truly ambidextrous, not masked by cover, and worse case (I've had optics fog going from the car to outside here) it is centered and can work as a crude, up close aiming device.