PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix PD Detective Hobbs Killed in Gunfight.

markm
03-10-14, 11:20
Services are today. I didn't see anything on this in GD.. unless I missed it. Late last week, Hobbs was killed and his partner injured after a wanted felon they were following crashed trying to evade.... then openned fire on police. Seems as though Hobbs was able to return enough fire after being wounded to kill the criminal.

Hobbs was an occasional poster on ARFcom AZ hometown forum. He'd helped a lot of guys with everything from 1911 builds to getting L.E. carriers started.

A really good guy.

http://www.kfyi.com/articles/arizona-news-118695/memorial-service-for-fallen-officer-today-12119036/

SeriousStudent
03-10-14, 21:44
I did read about that. Detective Hobbs was hit, on the ground, and still returning fire to protect his injured partner.

That is pure bad-ass, no matter how you slice it. He's in Valhalla now, with other heroes.

Prayers out to his family, friends and fellow officers.

SkiDevil
03-10-14, 22:10
A true hero.

May Detective Hobbs rest in peace and God watch over his family.

Bolt_Overide
03-11-14, 09:15
I knew John. He was one of the most generous men I've ever met. Even with all the stuff he had going on, work, family, building 1911's, he still made time to answer my dumb ass questions. Bought a few guns off him over the years, back in 05 I bought a 6920 from him while I was in Iraq, he held it for me till I got home and there was never a doubt in my mind I was g2g.

John was a pretty exceptional 1911 smith, was going to do it full time after retiring, wish I had one of his builds...

markm
03-11-14, 09:27
This was a big deal on the local news yesterday.

The accounts of his final stand were heart breaking. He was worried about his fellow officers, and had time to let them know to tell his family he loved them.

I never met Hobbs. He was a friend of a friend, however. I'd only had some interaction with him on AR15.com years back when I was a member. Tragic loss.