PDA

View Full Version : First Interview with Peter Lanza (Sandy Hook Shooter's Dad)

montanadave
03-10-14, 12:00
The New Yorker published an interview with Peter Lanza today, providing some additional information about Adam Lanza's background and psychological problems: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03/17/140317fa_fact_solomon

Nothing truly revelatory here, just a tragic story of what sounds like a kid with significant mental health issues, an enmeshed mother who sank further and further into denial of the severity of her child's problems, and a horrific ending.

The last paragraph:

I wondered how Peter would feel if he could see his son again. “Quite honestly, I think that I wouldn’t recognize the person I saw,” he said. “All I could picture is there’d be nothing there, there’d be nothing. Almost, like, ‘Who are you, stranger?’ ” Peter declared that he wished Adam had never been born, that there could be no remembering who he was outside of who he became. “That didn’t come right away. That’s not a natural thing, when you’re thinking about your kid. But, God, there’s no question. There can only be one conclusion, when you finally get there. That’s fairly recent, too, but that’s totally where I am.”

I'm thinking there are a lot of folks that wish Adam Lanza had never been born.

Mauser KAR98K
03-10-14, 12:12
Damn. Wounder what Adam would have been like if Dad had custody over him rather than Mom? Probably committed quicker than December of 2012, and possibly no firearms in that case.

I have said to my friends and professors when this case comes up. Adam Lanza was Eric Cartman and his mom was Eric Cartman's mom. If any members have seen South Park, or the episode where Eric's mom brings Cesar Millan (Dog Whisper) to "help" Eric, you all should note Eric's mom's relationship with her son; always pleasing Eric to be her best friend. I firmly believe Adma's mom was doing the same thing until the light bulb in her brain finally clicked and was about to commit Adam. Unfortunately she gave her son the combination to the safe where a the guns where, and had it in is room in the basement. That killed her and 25 other kids and set this country in a tailspin.

I have an adorable nephew on my brother-in-law's side that I love to death. And in doing so, will never get to know my skill sets to keep his name from being infamous. I will teach him about gun safety with his finger gun that gets kids suspended. Nothing more.

VooDoo6Actual
03-10-14, 12:14
I want to hear & see Mr. Lanza's alleged purported interview.
I completely & absolutely unequivocally challenge the media to produce any evidence (Video & audio) of that alleged / purported interview.

Grand58742
03-10-14, 12:14
It's a pretty sad situation knowing your son grew up to be a monster. As a parent, you'll go through the rest of your life asking the question of where you went wrong and what you could have done differently no matter what you might say on record.

It's a heavy burden to bear.

Mauser KAR98K
03-10-14, 12:19
It's a pretty sad situation knowing your son grew up to be a monster. As a parent, you'll go through the rest of your life asking the question of where you went wrong and what you could have done differently no matter what you might say on record.

This.

ABNAK
03-10-14, 20:14

I feel sorry for his parents......one of them's love cost her her life. I do NOT, however, feel one freaking iota of sympathy/empathy for that POS freak whose name I don't even want to mention. If there's a Hell I hope he's burning in it. When mental "illness" costs innocents their life yours should be forfeited-----PERIOD. I know it's not PC to wish this (and don't care) but in 20/20 hindsight that little freak should have been beaten to within an inch of his worthless life every day until that morning and then finished off. What he did and what it nearly cost us is unforgiveable and brings out a desire to see him suffer unimaginably. He is a shitstain on our history. F*** his "sickness".

My dad was manic-depressive (bipolar these days) and I saw firsthand the results of his "sickness". He could be a veritable and violent SOB. I have VERY little "understanding" for whack-jobs. I offer NO apologies for feeling this way.

brickboy240
03-11-14, 09:58
The shooter is much like the lady that drowned her 5 kids in the tub. There were plenty of warning signs that the person was just not right. The people responsible for that person's care just decided to ignore them.

Sorry, but the parents are VERY MUCH to blame for this shooting. The mom allowed the kid to play all sorts of violent video games and left firearms accessible when she KNEW that boy was not right in the head. The dad had been way out of involvement in the raising and development of his son. As his biological father...he has a duty to make sure his child is being properly cared for and that he is not exposed to dangerous things.

Yes, in the end it was the shooter's fault but the parents should never get a pass on the fact they they failed in their duties.

-brickboy240

skydivr
03-11-14, 10:05
One of my co-workers has a son that's about 12...the other day he was at work (day off) engrossed in a movie - it was 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'...While I think his Mom is a really good employee, churchgoer, etc., I seriously question her allowing him to enjoy that graphic a violence at that age.

brickboy240
03-11-14, 11:07
It often amazes me what parents allow their children to view or do. Letting 10-12 year olds see movies full of 4 letter words, loads of violence and other adult themes...letting them play video games that are full of the same things. All the while...thinking these things have no affects on the kid's development, views or behavior at all. Some give almost no supervision to their kid's entertainment...games...movies...internet...they have no idea what kind of things their kids are absorbing 24-7.

Mention that maybe they should slow any of that down and they just look at you like some sort of moral crusader.

-brickboy240

ABNAK
03-11-14, 14:15
The shooter is much like the lady that drowned her 5 kids in the tub. There were plenty of warning signs that the person was just not right. The people responsible for that person's care just decided to ignore them.

Sorry, but the parents are VERY MUCH to blame for this shooting. The mom allowed the kid to play all sorts of violent video games and left firearms accessible when she KNEW that boy was not right in the head. The dad had been way out of involvement in the raising and development of his son. As his biological father...he has a duty to make sure his child is being properly cared for and that he is not exposed to dangerous things.

Yes, in the end it was the shooter's fault but the parents should never get a pass on the fact they they failed in their duties.

-brickboy240

As in many divorces there was an apparent "split" of the kid's loyalties. It's not uncommon for one parent to turn a kid against the other parent, and shitstain was an adult so he certainly could make his own decisions. Hell, even his brother didn't see him often and hadn't for something like 6 months. It would appear that freakboy chose mommy. Dad likely wouldn't have put up with his psycho-babble bullshit.

thopkins22
03-11-14, 14:37
Not to really take us off track, but the anti-violent movies/music/video games sentiments really irk me because they aren't based in reality, but rather they draw from the same emotions that lead anti-gun people to their conclusions. "Why would you let a 12 year old see violent art?" "Why would you teach a 12 year old how to operate a device that can kill him and others, and that in fact was designed to do just that?" Both are bad arguments.

There is far more violence in movies, far more violence in video games, far more violence in music than at any point in recorded history...and definitely much more than existed a few decades ago. Yet, violent crime is lower than it's ever been. This is true in ghettos, rural communities, suburbs, and old affluent urban areas. If one is to draw a connection between violent art and actual acts of violence, we'd have to say that the only relationship is a negative one. The more violence we see in art, the less violence we experience in reality. The relationship isn't causal though...and no amount of fiddling with the numbers can make it so.

I'm not saying that you should queue up graphic horror movies for your kids...but the fear shouldn't be that they'll be violent or bad kids as a function of it. When your grandparents were children(provided you yourself are not a child,) kids fought all the time. Fist fights were not abnormal, weren't something you'd get in serious trouble for, and in parts of the country gang violence exceeded anything we saw with the crack cocaine epidemic and gangs of the 80's. Yet there were ZERO video games, ZERO violent movies, and ZERO violent songs on the radio.

It doesn't add up, the boogeyman isn't that easy to single out. Crazy people will do crazy shit and there's very little we can do to avoid that other than having armed people out and about. The real culprits of the statistically significant violent crime are poverty and poor education...take care of the latter and you'll fix the former. But that's not an easy solution, it takes time, and it doesn't make people feel better than other people.

brickboy240
03-11-14, 15:01
Explain to me how allowing my 10-12 year old to see movies full of "****" and "shit" and constant shooting everyone in sight is good for him.

Also...how is allowing him/her to play games like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty helpful.

I am not saying that these things alone led this guy to the shooting but I want the child development experts here to explain how allowing this to kids in that age bracket is either good for them or not harmful in the least.

I never said kids should be raised in a bubble but many are left totally on their own when it comes to movies seen, websites visited and games chosen.

-brickboy240

RogerinTPA
03-11-14, 15:18
He should have used a coat hanger when he had the chance.

Iraqgunz
03-11-14, 15:29
So what are you saying? That Sandy Hook never happened or that the interview is all a sham?

I want to hear & see Mr. Lanza's alleged purported interview.
I completely & absolutely unequivocally challenge the media to produce any evidence (Video & audio) of that alleged / purported interview.

SteyrAUG
03-11-14, 15:47

-brickboy240

I think a bigger issue is that he blacked out his windows and his only contact with his mother was by email. Then there is the fact that his father hadn't seen him in two years, who knows if that was Moms or Dads idea. Firearms and video games have NOTHING to do with this one. You could have given this kid a butter knife and shown him "My Little Pony" videos and he was still gonna go off the rails.

It often amazes me what parents allow their children to view or do. Letting 10-12 year olds see movies full of 4 letter words, loads of violence and other adult themes...letting them play video games that are full of the same things. All the while...thinking these things have no affects on the kid's development, views or behavior at all. Some give almost no supervision to their kid's entertainment...games...movies...internet...they have no idea what kind of things their kids are absorbing 24-7.

Mention that maybe they should slow any of that down and they just look at you like some sort of moral crusader.

-brickboy240

I watched Apocalypse Now when I was 12 with my Dad. Saw lots of similar movies with adult themes, violence, nudity and profanity. I read lots of books about war and listened to some pretty graphic personal experiences of Vietnam veterans. At risk of saying "I turned out ok" I don't think these things make anyone a killer. However to those who have a predisposition towards rape, murder, assault or are just mentally skewed they will certainly be attracted to certain things like guns, violent movies and the like.

There were some movies I sorta wish I didn't watch with my Dad, but only because they scared the hell out of me and I had trouble sleeping later. But those weren't nearly as bad as some of the ones I watched on my own as a kid. To this day I wish I never watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, those were seriously f-ed up people and I wasn't ready to contemplate that such people exist at 12 years old. And I sorta wish I never watched The Exorcist at the Midnight Movie with my girlfriend when I was 13 because I had to walk home from her house after that around 2:30am.

Koshinn
03-11-14, 16:14
So what are you saying? That Sandy Hook never happened or that the interview is all a sham?

I'm pretty sure Voodoo6Actual believes both that Sandy Hook never happened and that the interview was a sham since of course Sandy Hook never happened.

VooDoo6Actual
03-11-14, 17:25
I know for a fact it did not happen as reported.

montanadave
03-11-14, 17:27

And why do some member's posts show no indication of having been edited?

Big A
03-11-14, 17:51
Not to really take us off track, but the anti-violent movies/music/video games sentiments really irk me because they aren't based in reality, but rather they draw from the same emotions that lead anti-gun people to their conclusions. "Why would you let a 12 year old see violent art?" "Why would you teach a 12 year old how to operate a device that can kill him and others, and that in fact was designed to do just that?" Both are bad arguments.

There is far more violence in movies, far more violence in video games, far more violence in music than at any point in recorded history...and definitely much more than existed a few decades ago. Yet, violent crime is lower than it's ever been. This is true in ghettos, rural communities, suburbs, and old affluent urban areas. If one is to draw a connection between violent art and actual acts of violence, we'd have to say that the only relationship is a negative one. The more violence we see in art, the less violence we experience in reality. The relationship isn't causal though...and no amount of fiddling with the numbers can make it so.

I'm not saying that you should queue up graphic horror movies for your kids...but the fear shouldn't be that they'll be violent or bad kids as a function of it. When your grandparents were children(provided you yourself are not a child,) kids fought all the time. Fist fights were not abnormal, weren't something you'd get in serious trouble for, and in parts of the country gang violence exceeded anything we saw with the crack cocaine epidemic and gangs of the 80's. Yet there were ZERO video games, ZERO violent movies, and ZERO violent songs on the radio.

It doesn't add up, the boogeyman isn't that easy to single out. Crazy people will do crazy shit and there's very little we can do to avoid that other than having armed people out and about. The real culprits of the statistically significant violent crime are poverty and poor education...take care of the latter and you'll fix the former. But that's not an easy solution, it takes time, and it doesn't make people feel better than other people.

C'mon man, don't you know the Mongols played Grand Theft Auto and the Samurai were playing Call of Duty?

Arctic1
03-11-14, 18:28
I know for a fact it did not happen as reported.

So, how did it happen?

Since you are in the know....

Arctic1
03-11-14, 18:35

Pretty much.

There have been no definitive findings that prove violent games/movies etc has any bearing on people developing violent tendencies. It is just easier to point to those factors than mental health and other issues that actually do contribute.

thopkins22
03-11-14, 18:35
Explain to me how allowing my 10-12 year old to see movies full of "****" and "shit" and constant shooting everyone in sight is good for him.

Also...how is allowing him/her to play games like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty helpful.

I am not saying that these things alone led this guy to the shooting but I want the child development experts here to explain how allowing this to kids in that age bracket is either good for them or not harmful in the least.

I never said kids should be raised in a bubble but many are left totally on their own when it comes to movies seen, websites visited and games chosen.

-brickboy240

There are many published studies that show a positive correlation between video games and many positive things. Vision(particularly action games,) memory, spatial navigation, strategic planning, and IQ have all been shown to benefit from video games. Violence and other anti-social behavior has absolutely not been shown to be related to video games. Many of these studies(particularly those related to brain development) are actually funded by our armed forces and have no industry connections.

The Journal of Youth and Adolescence published a study in 2010 video games and youth violence. In the abstract conclusion was this sentence, "Neither video game violence exposure, nor television violence exposure, were prospective predictors of serious acts of youth aggression or violence." The strong predictor that study concluded was depressive symptoms which were present in all of these mass murder cases(surprise.) There are many studies that conclude the same exact thing and I can cite them if you really wish.

Can there be too much of a good thing? Of course. Set boundaries such as half an hour a day or an hour(whatever.) Masturbation is a very healthy thing to do too...just don't do it a dozen times a day. Want to prevent nightmares? Be careful about what you show your children. But remember that while children are sensitive, you'd very likely already be dead a few centuries ago and they'd be taking care of themselves as adults with adult problems.

To state otherwise requires ignoring the fact that the world is safer than it has ever been, despite the prevalence of violence in art. Today those of you who oppose these things are no different from those that protested Shakespeare on account of the violence and lust portrayed in his works. That's not to say that your concerns aren't understandable, but that they are based in emotion rather than reason.

VooDoo6Actual
03-11-14, 21:10
So, how did it happen?

Since you are in the know....

LOL, That's not going to happen & you know it.

Arctic1
03-12-14, 07:24
So why bother to make a statement claiming you know for a fact that it didn't go down the way it was reported, if you won't defend the statement at all?
Why challenge the authenticity of the interview, if you won't expound on your reason for not believing official accounts of what transpired?

VooDoo6Actual
03-12-14, 07:41
So why bother to make a statement claiming you know for a fact that it didn't go down the way it was reported, if you won't defend the statement at all?
Why challenge the authenticity of the interview, if you won't expound on your reason for not believing official accounts of what transpired?

Apparently your not able to figure out that certain things are not apropos for a discussion or "talking points" & now you have decided to push the issue in an inappropriate venue & pull the monkey's tail. So be it. I already know the drill. I choose not to engage further & meet destiny yet w/ a intervention specialist's "Ban Hammer" at this juncture. So here's two things that are a fact as well. If we were in a TEAM room setting, you would be on the ground & I would be pouring hydrogen peroxide on one of my hands removing your impacted enamel from my knuckles. I already know your background. I know for another fact you do not know mine. Congratulations on Grenading this.

Thx to those who PM'ed me BTW.

I'll Article 15 / "86" myself out of this one on my own.

Arctic1
03-12-14, 09:04
Apparently your not able to figure out that certain things are not apropos for a discussion or "talking points" & now you have decided to push the issue in an inappropriate venue & pull the monkey's tail. So be it. I already know the drill. I choose not to engage further & meet destiny yet w/ a intervention specialist's "Ban Hammer" at this juncture. So here's two things that are a fact as well. If we were in a TEAM room setting, you would be on the ground & I would be pouring hydrogen peroxide on one of my hands removing your impacted enamel from my knuckles. I already know your background. I know for another fact you do not know mine. Congratulations on Grenading this.

Thx to those who PM'ed me BTW.

I'll Article 15 / "86" myself out of this one on my own.

If this topic is off limits I am unaware of that decision. I don't read every single thread on here.

And why threaten me?

ST911
03-12-14, 09:43
Talk about the issue, not each other.

TAZ
03-13-14, 15:51
IMO this all comes down to the mother being in denial. Yes the sperm donor should have taken his responsibility seriously, but for whatever reason he wasn't the one given custody. The mother was and she accepted the responsibility of raising that thing. It's a sad story to be sure. IMO parents need to parent and leave the touchy feely bull shit to the head shrinkers. As a parent mynjobnis to raise and nurture my kid and help him be the best possible person possible. As such I need to use my brain and use the tool set best suited for the job. Sometimes giving them a hug and encourangemt is the appropriate tool. Other times it's being the "heavy" and offering discipline. I also need to make sure I'm not blinded by my emotions and put him in a lose lose situation. If I stick my head in the sand and ignore cues that my child needs help, I am doing him a long term disservice. Apparently this parent didn't see it that way, but the clues were there. She chose to ignore them till it was too late.

As for the violence and what not. That's like saying guns cause crime. Does not correlate. Not saying that it's a good thing to let your kids play GTA or CoD, but those have little to no effect on the outcome. If they did I and the majority of my peers should have turned into mass murdering rapists by now. Maybe we are late bloomers. I grew up playing cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, getting into fights, and looking at Playboy/Hustler at the local Walden books or Eckerd Drugs (yes, in my youth those were not plastic wrapped and you could read through them like you do People magazine today). Yet even after many dedicated sessions of exterminating all my friends with my grease gun replica I seem to have become a relatively functional member of society. Is it possible that his incredible fascination and devotion to the games is another missed clue...sure but a root cause it is not.

glocktogo
03-14-14, 00:09
I'd say as a general rule regarding violent video games, correlation doesn't equal causation. However...This egg was bad. Who's to say in his scrambled brain that it didn't contribute heavily? I don't blame the game producers, but the mom who allowed him to sequester himself and pretty much devote himself to them. This was a disaster waiting to happen and mommy dearest was in complete denial. He needed counseling, probably drug therapy and constant guidance. In the pre-80's world, this kid would've been in a long term in-patient treatment facility. The rules might've changed, but the dangers didn't.

This is a cautionary tale to parents of dysfunctional kids. Love them certainly, but don't ignore warning signs. :(

Koshinn
03-14-14, 10:46
I think violent video games were likely a symptom in this particular case, and extremely unlikely as a a contributing factor in any way.

Violent video games generally are the best selling video games by far, so you can't use them as the sole diagnostic tool to determine a future mass shooter. Futhermore, like a punching bag, violent video games tend to release stress, not cause it. As for the aspect of games and movies that "glorify" violence, how about the media? Our current culture of military (government sponsored killers, whether it's right or wrong) worship? Our culture of glorifying weapons (see the AR picture thread)? I don't think any of these cause violent behavior, but saying video games or movies are the cause is just trying to find a quick answer to a problem that isn't necessarilly the solution. It's a knee-jerk reaction like banning high capacity ghost assault clips in this case.

If violent video games, where you press a button to shoot a virtual bullet at virtual people, are the cause of violence, then what about pulling the trigger of a real gun to shoot a real bullet at paper targets representing people? Or shooting paintball or airsoft guns at real people? It's a very small step from arguing that violent video games or movies cause violence to the argument that guns cause violence.

brickboy240
03-14-14, 11:49
Lets be honest here...

there is a TON of difference in us kids playing "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and indians" when we were growing up and what goes on in Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and World of Warcraft.

...come on now...

-brickboy240

montanadave
03-14-14, 12:35
Lets be honest here...

there is a TON of difference in us kids playing "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and indians" when we were growing up and what goes on in Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and World of Warcraft.

...come on now...

-brickboy240

Exposure to violence and its impact on the viewer/player is a crapshoot. Sure, the games are a hell of a lot more graphic today but I also sat down to dinner every night as a kid watching the nightly news with body counts and unsanitized clips of the Vietnam War.

I understand the "correlation is not causation" argument and the lack of reliable data linking video games and violence, but I'm still concerned. I heard an interesting statement from a guy discussing this issue a while back and have yet to hear a convincing counter-argument. It went something like this: If exposure to media content (regardless of the content) has no discernible impact on individual behavior, why do businesses continue to spend billions and billions of dollars on advertising? Folks aren't ponying up $4 million for a Super Bowl ad spot because nobody gives a shit.

Koshinn
03-14-14, 13:36
It went something like this: If exposure to media content (regardless of the content) has no discernible impact on individual behavior, why do businesses continue to spend billions and billions of dollars on advertising? Folks aren't ponying up $4 million for a Super Bowl ad spot because nobody gives a shit.

I had a long response typed out and I lost it.

Basically, his premise is flawed because it's based on the idea that commercials only exist to influence individual behavior. I see commercials as a way of letting people know a product exists that might be a solution to their problem that they may not have been looking for or have been looking for unsuccessfully. They also can show the benefits of their product vs a competitors' product. If I had stupid paper towels that always ripped and didn't seem to absorb much liquid but then saw a commercial showing the efficacy of Bounty paper towels, I don't see that as "influencing my behavior", I see that as product awareness. And I think that's what commercials provide.

montanadave
03-14-14, 14:07
I had a long response typed out and I lost it.

Basically, his premise is flawed because it's based on the idea that commercials only exist to influence individual behavior. I see commercials as a way of letting people know a product exists that might be a solution to their problem that they may not have been looking for or have been looking for unsuccessfully. They also can show the benefits of their product vs a competitors' product.

OK. I'm getting picked on at school by a bunch of assholes and all my efforts to dissuade them from giving me daily swirlies after third period have proven ineffective. But, after picking up a copy of High School Bloodfest IV, I realize that taking an AR-15 to school tomorrow may afford me the opportunity to terminate those bullies "with extreme prejudice." And, as an added bonus, I choose to select a DD or BCM rifle with PMAGs (based on player reviews) over the that Bushmaster I had previously had my eye on.

I realize I'm being ridiculous here but, while the evidence linking violent video games to violent behavior is lacking, there is A TON of research that shows advertising, product placement, even background music and colors, impacts people's consumption and purchasing decisions. Is it so hard to imagine that the same methods used to influence one type of behavior might not influence another?

People obviously have a variety of tools at their disposal to counter such influences, specifically social, moral, and ethical prohibitions against violent, anti-social behavior which pre-empt the majority of people from falling under some sinister spell and acting out their most violent fantasies. But it's also just as likely there exists a minority who, for a variety of reasons, have not internalized those prohibitions and are deeply influenced by such content.

Bottom line, there are always going to be folks that stick their hands in wood chippers regardless of how many safety shields and warning stickers the manufacturer slaps on their product. It's impossible to make a society "fool-proof." Or "violent sociopath-proof."

brickboy240
03-14-14, 14:20
How about hitting the gym and putting the NEXT person that bullies you in their place next time around?

Ok, so I realize that these days, the fight with said bully will get you D-hall or maybe a short suspension but the bullying will stop forever when your classmates see that you are more than able to take care of yourself.

Beats going home and gritting your teeth in the basement while playing some silly video game. The gym also has another positive effect...keeps you from getting fat like most video game playing kids. They will pick on the fat kids and leave you alone.

Win...win

Koshinn
03-14-14, 14:35
OK. I'm getting picked on at school by a bunch of assholes and all my efforts to dissuade them from giving me daily swirlies after third period have proven ineffective. But, after picking up a copy of High School Bloodfest IV, I realize that taking an AR-15 to school tomorrow may afford me the opportunity to terminate those bullies "with extreme prejudice." And, as an added bonus, I choose to select a DD or BCM rifle with PMAGs (based on player reviews) over the that Bushmaster I had previously had my eye on.

Perhaps we should ban DD and BCM rifles? :p

Basically the latest Grand Theft Auto game, you know the game where you run down pedestrians, shoot cops for more stars, and beat up grandmas crossing the street with a baseball bat, sold 11.2 MILLION copies in the first 24 hours and grossed $1 billion in 3 days, the fastest that any entertainment has made that much money. As of Feb '14, it's sold 32.5 million new copies worldwide, which doesn't even take into account used copies, folks borrowing it from eachother, and pirated copies. I'd say the exposure of the game, as a WAG, is close to 100 million. I'd image the ratio of the owners of the game to those that commit any sort of felony-level crime is about the same as gun owners. And just like gun owners, I'd imagine it's true that a person predisposed to that sort of behavior is drawn to guns or violent videogames, not the other way around.