PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a upper

Venture
03-10-14, 19:32
Hi all. I am working on my second ar15, my first is a colt 6920 with a kac ras, aimpoint pro and b5 sopmod. The rifle feels a little heavy after shooting my friends dd m4v7. I really like the long rail and no fsb and it was very light.Ok so I'm looking at a 14.5 middy with a moe handguard vs the 14.5 middy with a dd ris II. This riffle is for fun and shtf purpose. I really like the looks of the dd ris ii and the length, but I don't know if that's worth $400. Guide me please.

Kain
03-10-14, 19:41
The need for a rail is really in the eye of the user. Is it a nice feature? Sure. Is it mandatory for a good rifle? No. In my opinion it is something that is dependent on the mission of the rifle. It is something you are going to have to decide, there are man pros and cons for a longer rail and no FSB, as well as with a FSB.
That out of the way. Why 14.5? What do you feel that is going to gain you over a 16 inch barrel?

Col_Crocs
03-10-14, 19:41
The 14.5 with the RIS II will not be light. Dont go by looks. Youre not buying shoes here. If you want something light, with a longer rail, go with one of BCM's KMR uppers.
ETA: youre not wanting a "longer rail with no FSB" purely out of looks are you?

scooter22
03-10-14, 19:44
BCM w/ 13" KMR.

See G&R Tactical.

shaneinhisroom
03-10-14, 19:53
Definitely a BCM KMR upper. I love both of mine. Quad rails are so 2011 :)

DeftwillP
03-10-14, 19:54
I really like the long rail and no fsb
Ok so I'm looking at a 14.5 middy with a moe handguard .

Does not compute.

Venture
03-10-14, 19:57
And that's the thing that's holding me back from the longer rail is that I don't really have a need for any accessories, but for the grip and if I ever decided to go with a light them it would be nice. The looks are not making my decision, but from what I read the dd ris ii is bomb prof and I like the low profile. I really like the kmr but after buyers talking about the finish coming off easy, that kind of turned me off. Oh and i want to go 14.5 pinned an weld from bcm for the little bit of weight and length savings.

Col_Crocs
03-10-14, 20:24
I figured this was a possibility after posting. I have no experience with the KMR myself so I dont have an opinion on it. I just like the functionality of the design and the weight, or lack there of. I dont know what's going on with the finish other than what I have read. I dont mind it but it understandably does to a lot of folks.
I'm a RIS II guy myself. I have 2 RIS II mk18s and I love them. It's a solid rail, I like how it mounts, I like that you can take off the lower rail to do some cleaning under the handguards without affecting the entire assembly but it's not light.

markm
03-10-14, 21:21
Hi all. I am working on my second ar15, my first is a colt 6920 with a kac ras, aimpoint pro and b5 sopmod. The rifle feels a little heavy after shooting my friends dd m4v7.

You have a solid set up. Your friend is light in the loafers.

discreet
03-10-14, 22:18
Just do a lightweight build then. Lightweight barrel, no un necessary crap on it. IMO the fortis rail is top notch and uses milspec barrel nut. Has full rail underneath so vfg, afg, light, bipod etc can be run easy. 2 small rails on sides for lights. Many other lightweight setups out there. IMO no need to go for a full fledged quad rail unless your absolutely going to use the rail space.

buckar15
03-11-14, 00:08
Just do a lightweight build then. Lightweight barrel, no un necessary crap on it. IMO the fortis rail is top notch and uses milspec barrel nut. Has full rail underneath so vfg, afg, light, bipod etc can be run easy. 2 small rails on sides for lights. Many other lightweight setups out there. IMO no need to go for a full fledged quad rail unless your absolutely going to use the rail space.

I just purchased a 16" BCM BFH light weight upper and put the Fortis 12" rail on it. Not sure of the exact weight but it feels light and I really like the rail.

carolvs
03-11-14, 03:09
And that's the thing that's holding me back from the longer rail is that I don't really have a need for any accessories, but for the grip and if I ever decided to go with a light them it would be nice. The looks are not making my decision, but from what I read the dd ris ii is bomb prof and I like the low profile. I really like the kmr but after buyers talking about the finish coming off easy, that kind of turned me off. Oh and i want to go 14.5 pinned an weld from bcm for the little bit of weight and length savings.

This is an awesome upper, but the complete build isn't going to be lighter than your 6920 SOCOM.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14%20risii%20de.htm

MistWolf
03-11-14, 08:17
Trim the FSB on your current upper and install a ff handguard in the length you want

tkoglman
03-11-14, 12:44
You already have a top of the line rifle. It doesn't seem to me that your new rifle idea is different enough from what you already have to justify the expense. I say either chop the FSB on your 6920 and install a FF hand guard or build something that gives you a new capability like an SBR (and all the associated red tape) or a DMR-type rifle. My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but you asked.

3 AE
03-11-14, 12:52
Trim the FSB on your current upper and install a ff handguard in the length you want

The OP would still have only one AR. And we all know the industry and many of it's forums frown on that! Actually Venture, you should consider getting a new lower receiver group to go along with the new upper of your choosing. Don't forget to add a Trijicon. After you're done with this project, you then move along to a SBR in the 10.5"-11.5" range with a suppressor and an Aimpoint T-1. After that the sky's the limit. Usually it's an 18"-20" SPR with top shelf optics. All of these require a rail, be it a quad or that tubey, keymoddy thing that's hot right now. Oh shit, I almost forgot, if you don't add a Vltor A5 stock system to all of these, well you're gonna be in deep doo doo! And let's have none of that "Mission drives the gear." nonsense. We all know what the mission is.
1) Home defense
2) SHTF.... And no, zombies don't count!
3) Informal range mag dumps
4) Maybe a class or two if I can afford it.

Am I serious? I don't know, am I? Only your checkbook/credit card knows for sure! :D

Venture
03-11-14, 15:56
LOL you guys are cracking me up. I bought a gun trust cause i original wanted to make a sbr but if im not going to suppress it then whats the point of making a ? oh and i have a lonely BCM lower that this upper is going on. So regular 16 inch barrel and mid length upper and moe hand guard or 14.5 upper with KMR 13 pin an weld from BCM.

tehpwnag3
03-11-14, 16:03
I say keep the 6920 as is, and then build a lightweight rig from the ground up.

Col_Crocs
03-11-14, 19:09
LOL you guys are cracking me up. I bought a gun trust cause i original wanted to make a sbr but if im not going to suppress it then whats the point of making a ? oh and i have a lonely BCM lower that this upper is going on. So regular 16 inch barrel and mid length upper and moe hand guard or 14.5 upper with KMR 13 pin an weld from BCM.
I disagree. I say go for the SBR. I have a 12.5 that isn't suppressed. It's nowhere near as sharp as my 16 with a BC, if that's your concern. An SBR without a can makes for a very handy AR. i think many here will agree that once you get an SBR, it very quickly becomes your go-to gun for this very reason.

MistWolf
03-11-14, 19:30
I once had the opportunity to shoot a Colt 10.5" unsuppressed. I liked it very much!

Artifact
03-17-14, 20:15
BCM upper, they have plenty.

Wolfpack45
03-18-14, 10:00
RIS rails are very robust and can take a good beating, but they are not light. If you are wanting light, I would recommend a slim keymod rail (notably Noveske or BCM), or if you do not like the Keymod system, the DD MFR rail since you mentioned liking the V7 or the Centurion CMR.

rocket 442
03-18-14, 10:09
DD M4V7 LW!

jason1975
04-30-14, 00:08
BCM KMR upper