PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with expedrience with PTR-91's

MadDog
03-11-14, 09:06
Just noticed the typo in the thread title. I have quite a few AR's & AK's from 7.5" to 16" but nothing chambered in 308. I don't want a 308 built on the AR platform so that pretty much leaves me with something like HK or FAL. It will be used as a range toy and the occasional tactical rifle competition use. I have a semi-auto MP5K and really like the HK platform so I am leaning towards a PTR-91 MSG model.

Anyone have any experience with the PTR-91? Good or bad, let's hear it.

Thanks,
MadDog:confused:

NongShim
03-11-14, 09:40
Without shelling out the money for a pre-'89 import HK or contract gun, a PTR is probably the closest one can get to a G3. The PTR guns are nice and pretty well put together. I like the roller locked HKs.

That being said, the only way to go is to get one in a true G3 infantry rifle configuration. Putting stocks, triggers, handguards, etc on rifles like FALs and G3s, even M14s is a waste in my view. Those guns were made to be handy and reliable battle rifles, not super accurate long-guns. Trying to make them something they aren't just makes them needlessly heavy and expensive, with added disappointment because they can easily fall short of the expectation or desire. There are far superior options in that regard.

I would love to have a HK91 or PTR G3 hommage, would go well with my FAL.

Cecil Burch
03-11-14, 17:22
I have been shooting my PTR for about a year and a half. Terrific rifle. I have only put about 1k rounds through it, mostly crappy Russian stuff, and it eats it like candy. It's more accurate than I am. Trigger is ok, certainly decent enough that I need more work on my skills before any trigger deficiency will be noticeable.

I have run it in a few Tac Carbine and 2-Gun matches. Performed great, and garnered a lot of attention. A number of people asking what is that? LOL

I wouldn't say it's a soft shooter, but it most definitely does not bang you up.

It's worked out well for me.

MadDog
03-11-14, 18:18
Thanks for the replies. I have heard the same from others. Looks like I will take the plunge and get one. The mags are certainly cheap enough so I guess the only question now is what optic to get as the PTR I want has a pic rail. My 59 year old eyes can't use iron sights very well and need to go with some magnification.

brushy bill
03-11-14, 21:33
I've been pondering a PTR for sometime, but kept reading mixed reviews on this and other sites. Hopefully this post will generate a lot of responses from folks with first hand experience. There is already a response from a SME.

KalashniKEV
03-11-14, 22:26
I'm primarily an FAL guy, but I've put 1K+ rounds through my original, HB 10-flute and A3R proper 12-flute. They are both 100% with decent ammo (minimum Silver Bear) and accurate (with a nod to the earlier gun).

I like them, and put them (currently) on par with DSA.

Trying to make them something they aren't just makes them needlessly heavy and expensive, with added disappointment because they can easily fall short of the expectation or desire.

I agree 100%.

We fell into the same trap with the M14 and all the nonsense of the last 10 years.

...at the same time though, I appreciate the 1913 rail mounted low on the receiver of the A3R, and it doesn't contribute a lot of weight. I don't like the "claw" or other format mounts, and I just don't think they're well thought out, or a good idea.

alcante262
03-12-14, 02:49
Im not downing the PTR 91,however I did have one and had nothing but problems with it.It wouldnt eat most ammo .After continuosly checking headspace and switching rollers I just gave up on it and got rid of it.

nick84
03-12-14, 10:00
OP let us know what you think after you get one, I'm not hunting for one of these at the moment, but I'm interested to hear what people have to say about these.

Phlipper
03-12-14, 11:22
I kept one for about a month once, trying to make a DMR rifle out of it for comps (600 yds max). I had a few tell me I was wasting my time and would never get less than 2 MOA from it, and would always have issues with scope mounts. Well, I showed them ... trying all the load combos I tried with my Saiga 308, two different scope mounts, and every scope I owned ... I never got better tha 2 MOA from it, just like the Saiga 308, and I had issues with scope mounts. LOL.

Love it for what it is, and don't try to make a 500 yd precision rifle out of it.

kerplode
03-12-14, 11:37
I had an older one a few years back. It would only function reliably with commercial ammo, so I ended up unloading it. I've heard that the newer production guns don't have this issue, but I've not had personal experience with a current model.

I find these rifles super interesting, but I'd probably only try again if I found one for really cheap (or got ahold of an original HK).

SteyrAUG
03-12-14, 16:17
Discussed somewhat on this topic.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?78756-So-You-Want-To-Buy-A-HK91-G3-Rifle

Don Robison
03-12-14, 16:49
I've been happy with my 2013 production PTR91GI. It's been reliable, accurate enough for my use (3moa) and it didn't break the bank. Paid $1051 OTD locally, added an HK wide forend from Numerich's, an MFI lopro optic mount and a 1.25-4 Leupold Hog and 75 magazines. I'll buy a 16" GI to go with it when I find one local at a price I don't mind paying.

ShipWreck
03-13-14, 12:43
I have looked at these guns before too - always wondered how reliable ones were made by this company....Good to hear

KalashniKEV
03-13-14, 14:16
I had an older one a few years back. It would only function reliably with commercial ammo, so I ended up unloading it. I've heard that the newer production guns don't have this issue, but I've not had personal experience with a current model.

It's worth summarizing for the sake of this thread (and those who won't be so interested to do the research) that the history of PTR Inc is that JLD (Juan L. Diaz) bought FMAP Portugal, put it on a boat, and set it up in Connecticut of all places. The original concept for the "PTR" or "Precision Target Rifle" was an MSG-90 type rifle- and they are fitted with 10 flute, Thompson Center Match heavy barrels with 5R rifling and a tight chamber.

Obviously this did not do too well with filthy Russian steel case, Venezuelan Cavim, Turkish Tar seal, Ishapore Poop seal, etc.

After 2005 they adopted HK specs (which they had the capability to do all along) and the guns have done a lot better in the reliability department since then.

kerplode
03-13-14, 15:50
Yeah, mine definitely had a TC match barrel. Good to know the newer ones are better in that regard.

SteyrAUG
03-14-14, 00:59
It's worth summarizing for the sake of this thread (and those who won't be so interested to do the research) that the history of PTR Inc is that JLD (Juan L. Diaz) bought FMAP Portugal, put it on a boat, and set it up in Connecticut of all places. The original concept for the "PTR" or "Precision Target Rifle" was an MSG-90 type rifle- and they are fitted with 10 flute, Thompson Center Match heavy barrels with 5R rifling and a tight chamber.

Obviously this did not do too well with filthy Russian steel case, Venezuelan Cavim, Turkish Tar seal, Ishapore Poop seal, etc.

After 2005 they adopted HK specs (which they had the capability to do all along) and the guns have done a lot better in the reliability department since then.

I had a dozen of them that choked on every type of .308 we tried to feed it including Radway Green, Lake City, Hornady and Hirtenberg. These were of course the debut rifles that first came out.

KalashniKEV
03-14-14, 09:43
I had a dozen of them that choked on every type of .308 we tried to feed it including Radway Green, Lake City, Hornady and Hirtenberg. These were of course the debut rifles that first came out.

You had twelve non-functional PTRs?

My HB is pretty early, from right about when they switched to the Navy type SEF housings, and it is reliable and relatively accurate.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMAG0092_zps5kdzrhf8.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/IMAG0092_zps5kdzrhf8.jpg.html)

I don't shoot it much anymore in favor of my PTR A3R, and... well, really if I have some 7.62 NATO to throw down range I'm reaching for an FAL.

SteyrAUG
03-14-14, 12:45
You had twelve non-functional PTRs?

My HB is pretty early, from right about when they switched to the Navy type SEF housings, and it is reliable and relatively accurate.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMAG0092_zps5kdzrhf8.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/IMAG0092_zps5kdzrhf8.jpg.html)

I don't shoot it much anymore in favor of my PTR A3R, and... well, really if I have some 7.62 NATO to throw down range I'm reaching for an FAL.

Yes, all part of a group buy I did when they came out. Every single one of them had FTE issues due to the tight chamber. Also they all had loose trigger groups.

What pissed me off more than anything was I had a gunsmith modify my trigger group to be correct and fit. I returned my rifle for an advertised "upgrade / correction" and indicated that my trigger group had been professionally corrected and to do nothing about that.

When I got my rifle back my trigger group had been removed and replaced with one that was sloppy. This was corrected by taping a small strip of velcro to the front of the pack to function as a shim. The rifle still had significant FTE issues. All of my customers who purchased the other rifles reported similar experiences.

I tried to contact JLD to see if they could snag the modified trigger group I had done and return it to me with the hopes I could then see if one of the better HK gunsmiths out their might be able to do something about the FTE problems.

JLD told me that they just pulled trigger groups off and threw them in a bin. Obviously they didn't read the very detailed letter I sent with my rifle. After that experience I basically swore them off completely and never looked back. I sold the rifle "as is" on Gunbroker and took a loss.

The way I see it JLD/PTR owes me the cost of custom gunsmithing to fit the trigger group to the rifle correctly, the money I lost selling to rifle below my cost on GB and the damage to my reputation for doing a group buy on what I expected would be an excellent rifle and urging others to get in on the deal. But that will never happen and given my experiences, I'll never gamble on the same company twice.

KalashniKEV
03-15-14, 10:10
Every single one of them had FTE issues due to the tight chamber. Also they all had loose trigger groups.

That sucks. Both of mine have been great.

I don't trust the opinions of many "HK Guys" but I know of at least one person who has fed his GI model a steady diet of absolute garbage Russian steel case and it has been flawless.

My A3R:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMAG0619_zpsoz7faspg.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/IMAG0619_zpsoz7faspg.jpg.html)

But that will never happen and given my experiences, I'll never gamble on the same company twice.

Illogical, but I understand where you're coming from.

I feel exactly the same way about S&W M&P pistols.

prez1967
03-15-14, 10:36
Track down a Springfield SAR3 or SAR8

pat701
03-15-14, 19:59
I have one of the first produced during the AWB. Ser# in the mid 500's. I have put 6000+ mil-surp rounds thru it with out any problem of any sort. GTG. I wish i had a flash hider on mine, but i bought during the AWB.