PDA

View Full Version : Combat Gum

OldState
03-11-14, 11:57
My wife is a dental hygienist and sent me this link. I cant understand how grown adults neglect their teeth. I don't believe this is meant for just soldiers while in combat either.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/27/army-develops-combat-gum-fight-soldiers-cavities-f/

SilverBullet432
03-11-14, 18:44
My wife is a dental hygienist and sent me this link. I cant understand how grown adults neglect their teeth. I don't believe this is meant for just soldiers while in combat either.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/27/army-develops-combat-gum-fight-soldiers-cavities-f/

$2 a piece? :dirol: :blink:

GTF425
03-12-14, 07:25
I cant understand how grown adults neglect their teeth.

My first deployment, I was on a Platoon outpost for 12 months and our water supply came from bottles. In the summer, we had to ration our water to 2 20oz bottles a day and were running dismounted patrols as well as continuous improvements on the COP (i.e. laying C-wire, conducting nightly R&S patrols to scout dead space, filling sand bags). We tore that COP down and that restriction shrunk to 1 MRE a day and 1 bottle of water because we couldn't be re-supplied until we consolidated back at the Company FOB.

I took 3 "showers" over 12 months and I don't know how many times I brushed my teeth. Priorities are priorities sometimes. When you're living out of your ruck for weeks at a time, things like toothbrushes don't go on missions because that's not what matters.

If something like this can help support oral hygiene when you're patrolling for days at a time, I say why not.

If you don't see the point, you're obviously not the target demographic.

BBossman
03-12-14, 08:25
$2 a piece? :dirol: :blink:

As long ago as ten years, the ADA recommended sugar free chewing gum for between brushing's as a way to improve dental health. Seems chewing gum produces increased saliva which washes away food particles and acids.

I was standing in line at 7-11 this morning and noticed 5 stick packs of sugar free Juicy Fruit on sale, 5 packs for a dollar.

Maybe they can call it Combat Gum and increase the price accordingly.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
03-12-14, 08:32
If it's carrying the moniker of "Combat Gum", it better be stuffed full of caffeine, steroids, Doxycycline, and Tylenol III.

BBossman
03-12-14, 21:07
If it's carrying the moniker of "Combat Gum", it better be stuffed full of caffeine, steroids, Doxycycline, and Tylenol III.

...and fluoride.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Ned Christiansen
03-12-14, 21:40
Combat Gum and Tactical Gum are pretty much the same; Combat Gum has a little less flavor so as not to distract the chewer when the SHTF.

National Match Gum, is, of course, caffeine-free.

HackerF15E
03-13-14, 22:07
I guess the MRE Chiclets don't count....

SeriousStudent
03-13-14, 22:13

Which one of those is supposed to cure the clap? :confused:

Ned Christiansen
03-24-14, 10:56
That'd be the "Weekend Pass" gum.

Eurodriver
03-24-14, 12:02
Since we're on the subject of gum...does the gum in MREs actually contain a laxative?

eternal24k
03-24-14, 12:51
Since we're on the subject of gum...does the gum in MREs actually contain a laxative?

No, I wish it did

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Heavy Metal
03-24-14, 14:13

Only if you swallow it.