PDA

View Full Version : When was the picatinny railed flat top AR adopted?

TiroFijo
03-11-14, 12:41
Was it in 1994 with the M16A3/M4 carbine? Or before?

Were there any transitional models prior to military adoption?

Was Colt the originator of these uppers, or???

Thanks in advance :)

tkoglman
03-11-14, 13:01
It was in the fall of 1994 when I was with the 22nd MEU(SOC) that I first saw any. Our scout/sniper platoon was issued M16A2's with flat top receivers for the spotters. I think the lowers were still roll-marked as M16A2's, so I'm not sure what the official designation was. I can't even remember what type of optics were placed on them. Our Force Recon team was issued M4's with standard A2 uppers. Three years later, I commanded the parent company of the scout/sniper platoon, but by then the flat tops were gone and the spotters only had M16A2's. When I transitioned to the reserves, we didn't see any M16A4's until after 2004, I believe. This is what I saw in the Marines. I have no idea when the Army started using flat tops.

TiroFijo
03-11-14, 13:15
It was in the fall of 1994 when I was with the 22nd MEU(SOC) that I first saw any. Our scout/sniper platoon was issued M16A2's with flat top receivers for the spotters. I think the lowers were still roll-marked as M16A2's, so I'm not sure what the official designation was. I can't even remember what type of optics were placed on them. Our Force Recon team was issued M4's with standard A2 uppers. Three years later, I commanded the parent company of the scout/sniper platoon, but by then the flat tops were gone and the spotters only had M16A2's. When I transitioned to the reserves, we didn't see any M16A4's until after 2004, I believe. This is what I saw in the Marines. I have no idea when the Army started using flat tops.

Wow, so you saw the fabled M4 with A2 uppers... :) Were they similar to later M4s, except for the A2 carry handle, or more similar to the previous colt M727 (military safe-semi-auto version of the CAR)?

redmist
03-11-14, 16:48
Wow, so you saw the fabled M4 with A2 uppers... :) Were they similar to later M4s, except for the A2 carry handle, or more similar to the previous colt M727 (military safe-semi-auto version of the CAR)?

First time I saw an M-4 style rifle with a detachable handle was aboard the U.S.S. Belleau Wood, with the 31st MEUSOC around 1999, and I swear to god it was a F/A Bushmaster. I fired it off the deck at some trash. I have a picture floating around some place.

tkoglman
03-11-14, 16:57

They were similar to the later M4's. The barrels had the M4 cut for the M203 and the A2 flash hider. The hand guards were the narrow CAR-style along with the butt stocks. They were Colt lowers, and I swear I remember that they were roll-marked M4 Carbine.