PDA

View Full Version : Sphinx SDP Compact vs Remington R51

Tacti-square
03-11-14, 15:07
Which do you predict is gonna be a tougher work pistol for carry/home defense? And for anyone about to claim that the Sphinx is just a CZ clone, a quick look at a parts diagram will show you how internally dissimilar they are. The R51 is obviously cheaper but frankly base price isn't an issue for me.

jdavis6576
03-11-14, 15:42
Don't have nor have I touched or shot either so any additional comments are conjecture. Hickok45 recently posted a video review of the SDP, may be worth your time to check it out.

teutonicpolymer
03-11-14, 16:01
I hate to be that guy but I think neither is really proven. Based on reputation of the companies I would go with Sphinx but Sphinx pistols had been extremely rare in the US until just recently (still don't see them) and the R51 is very new.

Magsz
03-11-14, 17:49
You're comparing two VASTLY different pistols. They do not exist in the same league...at all...

MegademiC
03-11-14, 19:28
What do you want the pistol to do, what do you have, and why have you narrowed it down to these 2? I most definitely wouldn't buy single stack 9 for an hd weapon, but your situation may be different than mine.

SeriousStudent
03-11-14, 19:45
What do you want the pistol to do, what do you have, and why have you narrowed it down to these 2? I most definitely wouldn't buy single stack 9 for an hd weapon, but your situation may be different than mine.

Yes. What pistols do you already own and carry? What niche do these pistols fill, that is currently empty?

Tacti-square
03-12-14, 03:08
Yes. What pistols do you already own and carry? What niche do these pistols fill, that is currently empty?

A do-it-all workhorse for training course use and home defense.

Scrubber3
03-12-14, 04:41
Between the 2, I'd say the Sphinx fits the training/ HD role very well. The R51 is more for concealed carry and is a compromise for that role.

A Glock 19 fits the role of Training/HD very well too. For the Money, you can get 2 or even get an H&K USP or P2000 with money to spare for some extra Mags and ammo.

I see nothing wrong with the Sphinx other than the fact that it isn't as proven as other platforms. Having said that, it looks nothing short of a good gun and I would love to try one out. Good luck!

hogfan1911
03-12-14, 20:01

Then you really need to look at something other than single-stack 9mm's. And look at guns with proven track records, not new & unproven ones.

SeriousStudent
03-12-14, 20:32

Again, what pistols do you already own? What pistol(s) do you current carry?

MegademiC
03-12-14, 21:56

What are you, a politician?

Anyways, I think we are all confused about how one "narrows it down" to EITHER a sub $400 single stack sub compact 9mm, OR a $1300 15+1 9mm compact... both of which just came out or are just picking up steam in the US. Why are you not considering the other... almost every gun ever made's?

3 AE
03-13-14, 11:22
A simple search of "Tacti-square" posts will pretty much fill you in on the OP's background. Basically a lot of questions wanting members opinions of Brand "X" versus Brand "Y" and other eclectic topics. Post at your own risk! :no:

Tacti-square
03-13-14, 13:08
Then you really need to look at something other than single-stack 9mm's. And look at guns with proven track records, not new & unproven ones.

They'll never get proven if people don't have the balls to try new things

sammage
03-13-14, 13:12
A simple search of "Tacti-square" posts will pretty much fill you in on the OP's background. Basically a lot of questions wanting members opinions of Brand "X" versus Brand "Y" and other eclectic topics. Post at your own risk! :no:

A lot of questions without answering the questions of others...a real goat rope.

hogfan1911
03-13-14, 13:19

A lot of questions without answering the questions of others...a real goat rope.

They'll never get proven if people don't have the balls to try new things

Yeah, I'm done here.