PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a DD M4 - great deal! Questions...

Cazwell
03-11-14, 16:56
Just bought a Daniel Defense M4 w/ gunfighter CH, Ergo grip and Magpul stock and 13 Pmags for $800! I just wanted to share with someone who could appreciate. I have several AR's and haven't been in the market, so I am not sure where prices are currently, but I saw this and it just seemed way cheap. Gun doesn't appear to have hardly been fired!

Seems like such good deal I kept thinking, what am I missing? Upper and lower has been professionally cerakote OD green, so I can see the DD roll mark on the lower, but can't see the DD name on the upper, but its a full auto bolt, keys are staked (although less aggressively than others I have), marked HP and MP but no DD markings on the bolt? I've heard the earlier bolts didn't have DD markings? I've never had a DD rifle before.

Thoughts? I'm pretty dang happy to add it to the safe and very pleased with the deal.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11144758-1_zps3af8a64c.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11144745_zps871314dd.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11144820-2_zps39a7e45a.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11144947_zpsc9b8b052.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11145034_zps8a29cf8c.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11145049_zpscbaef697.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/kenpo1979/2014-03-11145116_zpscc1d2b06.jpg

Rascally
03-11-14, 17:18
I wonder when DD stopped using Cerro Forge for their upper receivers? Have you looked to see if the barrel is stamped yet?

Regardless, it looks pretty good!

Rascal

If guns kill people, why do people go to prison for the crime..?

Tzintzuntzan
03-11-14, 17:21
Seems like such good deal I kept thinking, what am I missing? Upper and lower has been professionally cerakote OD green, so I can see the DD roll mark on the lower, but can't see the DD name on the upper, but its a full auto bolt, keys are staked (although less aggressively than others I have), marked HP and MP but no DD markings on the bolt? I've heard the earlier bolts didn't have DD markings? I've never had a DD rifle before.

The DD marks disappear with fairly quickly with use but the early ones weren't marked HPT/MPI not so sure about whether the early ones had DD on the side or not. You might want to just make sure the chamber is 5.56 using a good old Ned Christiansen chamber gauge since that will put some ease of mind into this purchase. If it's a real DD then you did get a heck of a deal on it.

Cazwell
03-11-14, 17:36
Have you looked to see if the barrel is stamped yet?

Regardless, it looks pretty good!

Yes, it says "DD 4150 MP 5.56 NATO 1/7"

shutup&shoot
03-11-14, 18:23
800 dollars is a hell of a deal!

Glockman1968
03-11-14, 18:29
Not so sure that's a DD BCG. Staking not right. No DD laser etched into side of bolt carrier. Could be wrong.

Obscenejesster
03-11-14, 18:47
Every DD BCG I've seen in the past 3 years has had DD laser etched into the carrier and the bolt is not marked. This bolt is marked and I've never seen a DD bolt that was.

TexasGunNut
03-11-14, 18:53
Great score Cazwell!

Lower looks to be a low SN. Definitely pre '08. Later uppers had the DD logo in the upper left hand corner but the lines on your receiver look like DD. DD bolts in this time frame didn't have the DD logo on them so it's hard to tell if the bolt is original.

Regardless I'm jealous as hell. I had quite a few DD rifles before my tragic boating accident and I'm a DD fanboy. Great price on a great tool that will serve you well.

Glockman1968
03-11-14, 18:56
Every DD BCG I've seen in the past 3 years has had DD laser etched into the carrier and the bolt is not marked. This bolt is marked and I've never seen a DD bolt that was.

Yep. Mine is marked on the carrier and the bolt is not marked at all.

My lower says Black Creek, not Savannah. Not sure if that's something or not.

kwelz
03-11-14, 19:00
Looks like it is an old school DD. Hell of a deal to be sure.

Cazwell
03-11-14, 19:01
Great score Cazwell!

Lower looks to be a low SN. Definitely pre '08. Later uppers had the DD logo in the upper left hand corner but the lines on your receiver look like DD. DD bolts in this time frame didn't have the DD logo on them so it's hard to tell if the bolt is original.

Regardless I'm jealous as hell. I had quite a few DD rifles before my tragic boating accident and I'm a DD fanboy. Great price on a great tool that will serve you well.

Thanks. The seller seemed legit, nice guy, local, we've even purchased from the same dealer. He said it was one of the very early rifles, and is all stock other than the CH handle and grip. I'm inclined to believe him after meeting him and chatting, but was definitely curious what you all thought. I've wanted a Daniel Defense rifle since they very first released the original DD M4. I have a colt and a Vltor MUR build, but when I saw this for so cheap, with the mags included, I just had to do it.

Any ideas how to ID the bolt?

Rascally
03-11-14, 19:11

I bought a DD Ambush in Dec 2012, and the BC is not etched. According to a DD rep I spoke with, this was a deliberate policy at that time. He also indicated that they were reconsidering thst policy. My bolt is not marked.

TexasGunNut
03-11-14, 19:12
Thanks. The seller seemed legit, nice guy, local, we've even purchased from the same dealer. He said it was one of the very early rifles, and is all stock other than the CH handle and grip. I'm inclined to believe him after meeting him and chatting, but was definitely curious what you all thought. I've wanted a Daniel Defense rifle since they very first released the original DD M4. I have a colt and Vltor build, but when I saw this for so cheap, with the mags included, I just had to do it.

Sounds and looks legit. To be 100% just order a DD bolt & carrier and keep the one you got as a backup. The family and I have put well over 50K round through ours and we love them.

TexasGunNut
03-11-14, 19:18
I bought a DD Ambush in Dec 2012, and the BC is not etched. According to a DD rep I spoke with, this was a deliberate policy at that time. He also indicated that they were reconsidering thst policy. My bolt is not marked.

The last backup DD BCG's I got were etched. None of my earlier carriers were etched and none of my bolts were marked.

Gentleart
03-11-14, 19:23
Even if everything is authentic except the bcg, it's still a steal! Congrats.

HD1911
03-11-14, 19:57
Staking is practically non-existent. Easy Fix tho.

jh225
03-11-14, 20:57
I think you got ripped off. I will give you $801 for it. :D

Obscenejesster
03-11-14, 21:56
Sounds and looks legit. To be 100% just order a DD bolt & carrier and keep the one you got as a backup. The family and I have put well over 50K round through ours and we love them.

I hope you replaced a few parts along the way. :confused:

rjacobs
03-11-14, 22:00
Dang, I thought I had an early one at serial ~10xx, that one is early.

Looks just about like mine. No DD markings anywhere, but the roll mark.

I dont think my bolt is marked at all, but I would have to pull my gun apart and check it out. My staking is definitely better than that. The BCG may NOT be the original, but that hardly matters.

I wouldnt let mine go for that cheap thats for damn sure.

JulyAZ
03-11-14, 22:16
Think of it this way, when that lower alone shows up for sale it's usually for 500 or 600 alone on this site(complete) that's a major score on your part.

Congrats

JulyAZ
03-11-14, 22:29
Also I thought the older lowers were all marked Black Creek, GA. And the Newer ones after the move to the second facility were Savannah, GA which are currently produced.

rjacobs
03-11-14, 22:31
Also I thought the older lowers were all marked Black Creek, GA. And the Newer ones after the move to the second facility were Savannah, GA which are currently produced.

other way around.

LoveAR
03-11-14, 22:54
other way around.

Yes…Black Creek are the later models. Built a new facility nearby and moved out of Savannah.

Glockman1968
03-11-14, 23:20
Yes…Black Creek are the later models. Built a new facility nearby and moved out of Savannah.

Learned something today. Good thread.

Glock30
03-12-14, 08:55
Nice find and good info being shared on the DD.

ScottsBad
03-12-14, 23:03
What a good deal you got. Congratulations. I want to get a DD for my safe one of these days.

Scrubber3
03-12-14, 23:25
I've got one of the early savannah roll marked DD M4V1s and it's the best rifle I've ever owned. Hands down. I'll agree with the statement that the BCG is not a DD BCG. To be honest, it looks like the ones AA uses in their rifles.

You got a heck of a deal on that. Congrats!

Bpc9876
03-13-14, 11:45
Amazing Deal. The way I am looking at it you basically paid what a Glock with say a Raven Concealment Holster and a quality Ares belt cost but instead scored a cerakoted Daniel Defense battle tool that looks great. Jealous. 😝

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STF
03-13-14, 12:09
Congrats on the great deal. Drop in a new DD or BCM BCG and you're still coming out way ahead.

justin_247
03-13-14, 12:56
Just bought a Daniel Defense M4 w/ gunfighter CH, Ergo grip and Magpul stock and 13 Pmags for $800! I just wanted to share with someone who could appreciate. I have several AR's and haven't been in the market, so I am not sure where prices are currently, but I saw this and it just seemed way cheap. Gun doesn't appear to have hardly been fired!

Thoughts? I'm pretty dang happy to add it to the safe and very pleased with the deal.

The first DD BCGs did not have any laser etching with DD's name on them, unlike the newer ones, which have "DD" etched on the front right-hand side of the carrier. That being said, I do not believe your BCG is a DD BCG... looks like some aftermarket BCG, since the staking is pretty poor and the bolt markings are weird. Looks nothing like my DD BCG from 2009.

Secondly, when they cerakoted the upper, they probably covered up the DD marks that should be on the front left side near the barrel nut. Original DDs did not have the big "DDM4" painted onto the side of the upper like the new ones.

Being that the rail is a different color than the receivers, I'm willing to bet that you have a DD XV (no longer in production) that was converted into a DDM4v1 with a DD Omega X rail after it was purchased.

Cazwell
03-13-14, 16:11
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good information shared here and I have learned some things about my new rifle and DD in general. Good stuff! I also feel great about the purchase and you guys confirming my thoughts about how good the deal was made my wife feel a lot better too! Ha! I still can't believe it came with 13 Pmags and all for $800.

Now I'm thinking of pulling the FN barrel off the Vltor MUR I've got and doing something SS for a more precision rifle. I may be asking questions about that shortly!!

s4morris
03-13-14, 21:29
Sounds like a solid deal to me, although the staking on the gas key looks a little shady

Marler5811
03-14-14, 19:27
From what I can tell, this rifle was manufactured early 2009. We moved into our Black Creek facility 5 years ago this upcoming Monday, at which time we started marking our Lower Receivers with the Black Creek Engravings. The roll mark on the barrel indicates one of our legacy button swaged barrels. It's not hammer forged. We only started hammer forging after standing up our Black Creek Facility. I'm leary that the BCG is a DD product. The staking is sub-standard and we've never marked than and HP/MP, They've either only had MP or nothing at all.

Still a steal of a deal. There are a lot of local Savannah Residence that would pay an arm and a leg for a Savannah Marked Lower Reciever. Myself Included.

S/F
Joe

LoveAR
03-14-14, 19:32
Mine is marked Black Creek. My baby. A Savannah marked lower is a keeper.