PDA

View Full Version : VFG's

nelybarg
09-12-06, 21:50
So I'm still shopping for a vertical foregrip. heres the question... which grip takes up the smallest amount of space on the rail?

-OR- can someone tell me how many slots a tango down grip takes up. how many slots does a falcon grip take up...gg&g, first samco, cqd, Knights armament, etc.

reason I ask. i'm running a carbine with a surefire rail so space is at a premium already. i'd like a grip that takes up as few slots as possible (while still being stable) so i can mount a light on the bottom rail.

thanks
Neil

rob_s
09-12-06, 22:19
Is the light so large that it's taking up alot of space on the rail by itself?

Anyway, the Tango Down appears to cover 5 slots.

nelybarg
09-12-06, 22:25
the light is a surefire 961
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=6&prrfnbr=23458&sesent=0,0&search_id=103998
that's on "loan" to me from a friend, who happens to be in the business. not sure how long the "loan" is for.

with the light mounted as far forward as possible, theres just enough room for a grip. I'm not able to check right now, but i will later and update.

i know i can mount the light on the side, (hell I've got 4 rails to play with). however, when mounted on the side, the balance of the gun seems off. i'd really like the light on the bottom rail if at all possible.

SuicideHz
09-12-06, 22:38
I understand you state you will run the light on the bottom, but I have to ask, any reason you don't want to run it on the side?

nelybarg
09-12-06, 23:22
I understand you state you will run the light on the bottom, but I have to ask, any reason you don't want to run it on the side?

with the light mounted on the side, the gun feels off balance. also, while i realize that the light will be offset from the bore the same distance regardless of which rail its mounted on, i'd rather have that offset vertically (with the light below) than horizontally (with the light off to the side).

eventually i'm gonna have to return the light to its owner and i'll get my own. when that happens, I'll probably get a smaller light, something in the scout light size, that takes up less space. when that happens, this probably wont be an issue anymore. since i'm working with a freebie, i want to do what i can to make it work.

i also like being an informed shopper. i'm pretty retentive about it, drives my wife nutz. i hate wasting money on a piece of equipment and come to find out i dont like it.

dubb-1
09-12-06, 23:40
WOW! Talk about "cake and eat it too"! The Tango Down is the best all around VFG I have seen. Buy it and don't look back. If you can't make it work with your loaner light, pony up and buy a light for yourself. Or, if the only reason you don't like the light on the side is a matter of feeling/balance, get over it. If it gets in the way when you manipulate corners in shoot-houses, that is another thing all-together. Be realistic about your needs, and you'll be happier in the long run. IMHO The only VFG worth buying is the TD. Conversely there are many lights other than the M961 that will do the job. As such, by my math, your loaner light is expendable.

FWIW, I run a TD VFG and a 6 o'clock mounted M961 light on my do-it-all 16" carbine, but I customized the DD rail so that it is a bit longer than a 9.5 (there are two slots, on all four sides, in front of the fsb). The VFG is mounted at the fourth slot from the rear, and the end of the ARMS mount is even with the forward edge of the fsb.

This is my opinion. If it is abrasive, I apologize.

nelybarg
09-12-06, 23:53
WOW! Talk about "cake and eat it too"! The Tango Down is the best all around VFG I have seen. Buy it and don't look back. If you can't make it work with your loaner light, pony up and buy a light for yourself. Or, if the only reason you don't like the light on the side is a matter of feeling/balance, get over it. If it gets in the way when you manipulate corners in shoot-houses, that is another thing all-together. Be realistic about your needs, and you'll be happier in the long run. IMHO The only VFG worth buying is the TD. Conversely there are many lights other than the M961 that will do the job. As such, by my math, your loaner light is expendable.

FWIW, I run a TD VFG and a 6 o'clock mounted M961 light on my do-it-all 16" carbine, but I customized the DD rail so that it is a bit longer than a 9.5 (there are two slots, on all four sides, in front of the fsb). The VFG is mounted at the fourth slot from the rear, and the end of the ARMS mount is even with the forward edge of the fsb.

This is my opinion. If it is abrasive, I apologize.

appreciate the input. my e-feelings dont get hurt too easily :D i've heard many great things about the TD grip. while thats cool and all, it doesnt really get back to what I was asking originally, namely how may slots does any particular grip take up?

rob_s
09-13-06, 05:28
appreciate the input. my e-feelings dont get hurt too easily :D i've heard many great things about the TD grip. while thats cool and all, it doesnt really get back to what I was asking originally, namely how may slots does any particular grip take up?
I answered that question in the second post in the thread.

dubb-1
09-13-06, 06:09
yup...

nelybarg
09-13-06, 11:28
I answered that question in the second post in the thread.

yes you did. thanks. anyone know anything about any other grip out there?

rob_s
09-13-06, 11:56
I may have an Ergo in my junk box. I'll try to check in the next day or so.

Stephen_H
09-13-06, 13:25

If you have small, little girl hands the KAC fore grip is also okay. I use the TD grip myself.

Stephen