PDA

View Full Version : M4 Build Advice

Cpmiller22
03-11-14, 22:43
Hi all-

So last year I did my first AR build which was based on a custom dpms style AR10 style lower I picked up from a local provider here in CA. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and am looking to build an M4 style setup next. I've been looking around and there are so many different options I thought maybe I could get some help picking a direction.

I have a custom AR lower that I'm getting from another local provider in the next week or so, and wanted to get some advice on build recommendations. Since my AR10 is a nice range rifle, I would like something that is light and tactical.

Here are a few things I've been thinking about so far:

-I'd like a short barrel. I've heard the shortest I can go to be CA legal is 14.5" but I have to have a "pinned" flash hider.

-I also would like a front grip

-I'm thinking I'd like some sort of red dot or rectile vs iron sights or a scope

I'm hoping I can put something together that aligns with the requirement above, is CA legal, and isn't too pricey. Any thoughts, tips, advice, or pics anyone can share to help me get moving would be greatly appreciated!

Obscenejesster
03-11-14, 23:19
Wrong forum.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Airhasz
03-11-14, 23:42
Add the hand guard of your choice to this....http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm

Cpmiller22
03-12-14, 00:24
Add the hand guard of your choice to this....http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm

So you would recommend the mid length vs the m4 carbine with the 14.5" barrel?

Headcase650
03-12-14, 00:57
Can you have AR pistols in Cali?

Iraqgunz
03-12-14, 01:16
You need to read and understand the limitations of the 14.5". You gain virtually nothing in the overall length. But, you lose a lot since you will have to get a compliant device, have it pinned, and if you make changes then you will more than likely need to cut the old device off (especially if you don't have a compatible barrel nut/ or something proprietary).

Scrubber3
03-12-14, 04:50
You need to read and understand the limitations of the 14.5". You gain virtually nothing in the overall length. But, you lose a lot since you will have to get a compliant device, have it pinned, and if you make changes then you will more than likely need to cut the old device off (especially if you don't have a compatible barrel nut/ or something proprietary).

I'm not positive, but I've heard that a pinned 14.5 inch barrel makes a bit more sense in Cali because of their ridiculous laws. OAL of the rifle or something like that...

Gentleart
03-12-14, 07:02
I think Iraq is saying if you don't have to have your device pinned (some states require it regardless of length), the 1.5" shortened length gives you virtually no benefit, while giving you potential future headaches. Having to pay to have it pinned, then cut off, etc if there is an issue. I believe it was discussed recently in a key holing thread about potential for build up at the FH that is very difficult to properly clean with out removal (high round count). However (and I'm no expert) I don't know if CA is one of those states that makes you have it pinned regardless.

Airhasz
03-12-14, 07:06
So you would recommend the mid length vs the m4 carbine with the 14.5" barrel?

Personally I would run a 16" barrel with mid length gas system for the reasons Iraqgunz stated. During research on this site I have read many members say run carbine gas system with 14.5" barrels for ammo compatibility.

MistWolf
03-12-14, 08:29
From what I remember, there is no reason to pin the muzzle device on an AR in California. However, the laws are convoluted and no NFA is allowed. The best source of information for what complies with the Golden State's Byzantine firearm laws is http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

For a general purpose AR carbine, I prefer a 16" barrel, mid length gas system and a lighter weight profile barrel. On my personal carbine, I plan to change the midlength MOE handguard for rifle length synthetic free float tube. I would also use a lightweight compensator type muzzle device rather than a pure muzzle brake (If I recall, flash suppressors on a self loading centerfire rifle were illegal in California).

For a red dot sight, the simplest route is to go with an Aimpoint Pro. This give you a rugged, reliable sight with good battery life for the least amount of money. Stay away from the cheapie brands. Buying a cheap RDS is paying for aggravation.

Billet receivers usually are not worth the extra money you pay for them. The are not as strong and are usually heavier than a forged receiver. Some offer ambidextrous controls but only you can determine if that's worth paying more for.

Keeping it simple is better than getting fancy. It makes sense to shoot a simple build to find out if you need something more. It's a waste of money and time to shoot a fancy carbine and find out you need to take something off.

Hope we can help and welcome to the forums!