PDA

View Full Version : Hk question

St.Michael
03-11-14, 22:54
Any of you guys ever carry a single/double action USP with no safety? Guy I talk to on the norm told me today he is having a guy do a trigger job and the guy doing the job is also removing his safety. Yet somehow the gun will still be used in single action? The only way I have ever carried my hk was hammer down safety on. I don't know if I misunderstood this guy or it is possible.

dirvo85
03-11-14, 23:06
I'm sure that people carry cocked without being locked. I wouldn't but to each their own.

Some carry guns with Versa Clips. Again, not my style.

People carry in Serpas. Again not my style.

I bet you some dummy is carrying a 1911 cocked with the safety off.

I'd say this is totally, but sadly, possible.

St.Michael
03-11-14, 23:10
This is one of my buddies who will buy stupid crap holsters off ebay and use em. The stuff he does makes no sense most of the time. Usually I don't have a problem correcting him with logic and proof. This issue however just confused the crap outta me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-11-14, 23:16
If I recall correctly there is a combination that removes the safety function and turns it into solely a decocker. I have never heard of anyone physically removing the safety lever that wasn't converting to LEM.

warpedcamshaft
03-11-14, 23:24
Any of you guys ever carry a single/double action USP with no safety? Guy I talk to on the norm told me today he is having a guy do a trigger job and the guy doing the job is also removing his safety. Yet somehow the gun will still be used in single action? The only way I have ever carried my hk was hammer down safety on. I don't know if I misunderstood this guy or it is possible.

LEM trigger configuration, I hope.

St.Michael
03-11-14, 23:41
I will have to find out. I know there are so many varients it's just what he said made no sense

Mauser KAR98K
03-12-14, 02:14
This.

Looking at the different variants of the USP, Not one is a DA/SA without the lever (not even for decocking). I want to say that the mechanics of the USP will make that control group not function as it needs some sort of bar, unless it is going as a LEM trigger. Walking with a SA weapon without a safety, or even a decocker to put it in DA is asking for trouble, especially on an HK with a large trigger, trigger guard, and light SA pull.

Talon167
03-12-14, 06:59
I know it's not a USP, but I have a P30L V3 which is SA/DA with no safety. Basically like a Sig.

You can do this with a USP, too, but you need the lever to decock the pistol, whereas you don't on the P30. So the lever would still be there, however it won't go up into the 'safe' position. That is as simple as replacing a $5 detent plate. If he's taking the lever off completely, then I can assume it's going to the LEM configuration (DAO).

SiGfever
03-12-14, 11:16
Here is a chart.

El Cid
03-12-14, 12:44
Agreed with others - as long as the decocking function remains, there is no cause for concern. I always carried my USP9 C&L like a 1911 to give me a consistent trigger press. I'd have no issue carring it off-safe, DA/SA though. In fact, in the USAF we always carried the M9 that way. Because it was so difficult for most shooters to reach, the safety was used only to decock the pistol. We carried it off-safe with a round chambered.

Mauser KAR98K
03-12-14, 13:03
But it has a decocker on the pistol, unlike what the OP is suggesting is about to happen. No decocker because of removal of the lever.

El Cid
03-12-14, 13:19
But it has a decocker on the pistol, unlike what the OP is suggesting is about to happen. No decocker because of removal of the lever.

For the P30/P2000, yes, the decocker is a push button on the back of the slide. Unless they have recently changed, the USP decocker is the same lever that is the safety.

Talon167
03-12-14, 13:47

For the P30/P2000, yes, the decocker is a push button on the back of the slide. Unless they have recently changed, the USP decocker is the same lever that is the safety.

Correct. If he's taking the lever off the gun and not converting it to LEM, that's bad news because you've taken the decock and safety feature away.

Mauser KAR98K
03-12-14, 15:09
What year is the USP in question? Date code?

M3MVE90
03-13-14, 10:38
Just to get this straight, your friend is getting the decocker/safety lever removed and will be carrying in condition 1 without the ability to carry cocked and locked?

The USP single action is so light, especially it has some rounds put through it, this would be a very dangerous situation. Glocks were experiencing negligent discharges at a frequent rate compared other brands. I don't think your friend is doing this. You must have misunderstood him. I am certain he is carrying in double action without safety, this is fine, I do it all the time.

But condition 1; carry cocked and unlocked, well, the gene pool needs cleansing anyways.

St.Michael
03-13-14, 10:59
That is what he said. Removing the lever. Still able to carry condition one. I literally have no idea wtf he is talking about. Told him he mast have his info wrong

Mauser KAR98K
03-13-14, 11:20
That is what he said. Removing the lever. Still able to carry condition one. I literally have no idea wtf he is talking about. Told him he mast have his info wrong

Find out if you is doing this via DA only. If not but in SA without a safety or even a decocker, advise him not to do so as it would be a very dangerous modification.

St.Michael
03-13-14, 11:31
I will have to talk to him again about it. Normally I wouldn't associate with people with such dumb ideas. This guy has been a friend since childhood though so it's a "special" case. lol. Everyone has one friend like this. The guys who ask millions of questions and STILL buy a Taurus cause they want to save money. Anyway this whole conversation was over the phone and when I see him Friday I will have to sort out what he was saying. I just wanted to make sure that carrying Con. 1 on a uSP with no lever was not really an option before I tore into him about it.

Mauser KAR98K
03-13-14, 15:33
I will have to talk to him again about it. Normally I wouldn't associate with people with such dumb ideas. This guy has been a friend since childhood though so it's a "special" case. lol. Everyone has one friend like this. The guys who ask millions of questions and STILL buy a Taurus cause they want to save money. Anyway this whole conversation was over the phone and when I see him Friday I will have to sort out what he was saying. I just wanted to make sure that carrying Con. 1 on a uSP with no lever was not really an option before I tore into him about it.

Without the lever to decock and keeping it in the DA/SA configuration: Bad Idea! If it was DA only, or the LEM, or had the lever for the decocker function, yes. What is presumed stated: Hell NO!