PDA

View Full Version : Brownell's self named nitrided AR barrel quality?

ColtSeavers
03-12-14, 09:34
Long story short, decided against going with a 6.8 build and am now going SPR-ish route.

Having a look at these Brownell's self named nitrided (inside and out) barrels, they seem to be up to snuff. I am specifically looking at the 18" med con mid length (yes, I know SPRs use RLGS and it will also give a slightly softer recoil, hence the -ish) barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with the Brownell's nitrided barrels or any other barrels that are nitrided inside and out?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-308ar-barrels-prod56797.aspx
Specs: for the 18":
416R stainless
Med contour
Mid length gas
Nitrided inside and out
Either 1:8 or 1:7 (top of page says 1:8, item specific stat says 1:7 as well as a reviewer states theirs is stamped 1:7)
6 groove
Button rifled
Barrel extension already installed

I did a search and the only threads that talk of the Brownell's self named barrels were from 2009 when they made 4140 CMs and in the other that is actually about the new nitrided barrels the OP ended up getting a different barrel and the responses were deleted.

bruin
03-12-14, 13:58
I bought a nitrided ss lightweight 16" midlength last year. Feed ramps were a bit crooked and the gas port was way too big, over .09". Good thing Brownells has a great return policy.

I think the best value in spr barrels is White Oak. If you must have a nitrided barrel, check out ARP.