PDA

View Full Version : A Look At How Armies Eat Around The World

BBossman
03-12-14, 10:24
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/06/army-food-world-eat_n_4903954.html

This looks interesting...

Italy
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/slide_340137_3495566_free_zps20ea032f.jpg

You're looking at: A breakfast shot of 40 percent alcohol cordiale (seriously), a powdered cappuccino, lots of biscotti, a pasta and bean soup, canned turkey and a rice salad. Dessert is a power sport bar, canned fruit salad or a muesli chocolate bar. (And there's a disposable camping stove for heating parts of the meal.)

GTF425
03-12-14, 10:30
Good ol Meals Refusing to Exit.

Moose-Knuckle
03-12-14, 16:03
Pretty exotic fare there, neat to see what others have in their MREs.

SteyrAUG
03-12-14, 16:12
And that is an example of why Italy can't win wars. If you are expecting your cappuccino with every meal, you aren't going to hold Bastogne.

sammage
03-12-14, 16:30
Call me crazy, but for some reason I want to try the chicken tikka masala ration from the Brits.

gunrunner505
03-12-14, 18:17
Good ol Meals Refusing to Exit.

That's damn funny right there. Need to remember that one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BBossman
03-12-14, 19:20
And that is an example of why Italy can't win wars. If you are expecting your cappuccino with every meal, you aren't going to hold Bastogne.

Italians? Bastogne? I thought they were tied up attacking Pearl Harbor...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-12-14, 21:38
Italians? Bastogne? I thought they were tied up attacking Pearl Harbor...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

LOL. I'm not doing John Belushi.

I was pointing out the a military with such expectations doesn't have the fortitude for serious campaigns like the one pulled off by the 101rst at Bastogne. I wasn't suggesting the Italians were helped at the Bulge.

_Stormin_
03-12-14, 22:06
Call me crazy, but for some reason I want to try the chicken tikka masala ration from the Brits.

I would be down with trying that meal.

The French one had me laughing. Duck confit and deer pâtè. Zero shock there. Perhaps some that the ration didn't include wine...

SeriousStudent
03-12-14, 22:16
Check out the Singapore rations - Pocari Sweat! Hellz yeah! We used to drink that* when I was on Okinawa a looong time ago. I loved that stuff.

*Along with a lot of other stuff - usually Screwdrivers made out of paint thinner and Tang.

aguila327
03-12-14, 22:29
When I was in we used to trade rations with whatever g orient service we were training with.

I was in right at the transition from C-rats to MRE's. Just the novelty of something different made it enjoyable. I can still remember eating (one bite) of the dehydrated sausage patty-ugh, before dunking it in water. I was amazed by the change. From fish food to meat..;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
03-12-14, 22:42
When I was in we used to trade rations with whatever g orient service we were training with.

I was in right at the transition from C-rats to MRE's. Just the novelty of something different made it enjoyable. I can still remember eating (one bite) of the dehydrated sausage patty-ugh, before dunking it in water. I was amazed by the change. From fish food to meat..;-)

Yeah, but that pound cake in the C's was awesome. Especially if you drizzling a little juice from the fruit cocktail over it.

Ham and lima beans was an abomination to both God and man. It was best referred to by that "euphemism". :cool:

_Stormin_
03-12-14, 22:51
Check out the Singapore rations - Pocari Sweat! Hellz yeah!

Say what?!?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/13/e7e3e6a4.jpg

I'm never without some in the fridge. Acquired a taste in Japan, and thankfully I have a local source. Going to have to track it down when I move to VA.

SeriousStudent
03-12-14, 23:01
Say what?!?

I'm never without some in the fridge. Acquired a taste in Japan, and thankfully I have a local source. Going to have to track it down when I move to VA.

PM inbound.

3 AE
03-13-14, 02:25
A forum covering MREs and other military rations, here and abroad.

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/

aguila327
03-13-14, 04:30
Yeah, but that pound cake in the C's was awesome. Especially if you drizzling a little juice from the fruit cocktail over it.

Ham and lima beans was an abomination to both God and man. It was best referred to by that "euphemism". :cool:

I was warned from day one to stay away from the ham and Liam beans and actually didn't see it much.

I did have the pound cake s nd agree thst it was good, but I developed an addiction to the fruit cake in the MRE. I jones for fruit cake bad now.

_Stormin_
03-13-14, 13:18
I jones for fruit cake bad now.

On first reading the above said:

I jones for bad fruit cake now.

Only after seeing it a second time did I realize that it worked either way.

yellowfin
03-13-14, 15:00
Question: if you capture enemy food, do you trust it not to be poisoned? Or is there a means of testing it? (Feed it to a nearby dog?)

aguila327
03-13-14, 15:22
On first reading the above said:

Only after seeing it a second time did I realize that it worked either way.

My wife would agree LOL

davidjinks
03-13-14, 15:45
The 2 best rations I've ever eaten while deployed:

South Korean MRE (The rice one with dried squid and spices and kimchi)
US LRRP Meals (Beef stroganoff)

I tried the German MREs and about ****ing puked when I hit the tube o cheese. And the bread that was in with it...BARF!

Now, when I was on BAF me and my team would sneak into the Italians chow hall just to partake in the wine assortment. They had some damn fine chow for a chow hall!