PDA

View Full Version : Optics Advice - 300blk

bates
03-12-14, 12:45
I am looking for some advice on future optics purchases.

I am just getting back into shooting Ar's. I primarly shoot a bolt gun with a 5-25 S&B

In the past few weeks I am finishing up a SBR Project. Ive owned a few different SBR Uppers and finally found one I am happy with.
I choose an 8inch Noveske Barrel and will have an aac cyclone k dedicated to the project.

I am looking for an optic for this gun. I plan to use it for hunting pigs, but also as an all around gun to shoot in a few local matches and will probably end up being the first long gun
i grab if needed for a bump in the night since it will be suppressed all the time. I will shoot both supersonic and subs in the gun. I enjoy the run and gun fast shooting but also the precision side, and really want to push this gun to see what it will do in a varitey of conditions and distances. Ive been interested in the 300blk for a number of years

I have been looking at both the vortex pst 1-4 and Leupold Ar 1.25-4 Patrol initally. Looking to stay in that price range.

I believe a variable power will be ideal for this gun as to allow me to adjust for sub vs. supersonic by either using the reticle or dialing and allow me to get the most versatility out of the gun. I just dont feel a red dot will be the best for this set up.

I still have other 5.56 guns in the safe with QD suppressor options, including those with a 1-6 razor and others with RDS.
I also have a 3.5-10 Leupold set up that could be ran on any rifle if needed for a specific application. Also when budget allows this will have a dbal nv/green laser set up

I didnt want this to be a vortex vs. leupold thread, those were just the first 2 optics i was drawn towards, Just looking from advice from those with more expereince than myself

kelly neal
03-12-14, 15:05
Leupold makes a 1.5-5X Mark IV with a reticle calibrated to .300 Blackout.

bates
03-12-14, 15:45
Thanks guys, i have seen the Leupold calibrated for 300blk but if i am going to spend that much money i would get a S&B shortdot, im personally not a fan of calibrated reticles

I like to move optics around too much and also reload so my loads rarely match what the reticle was calibrated for.

I agree that typicall an SBR screams red dot however for me I plan to shoot alot of animals between 25 and 150 yards and want the magnification for good shots, plus i want to be able to sight the rifle in for Supersonics loads but be able to change a mag and run subs, turrets and a reticle allow me to do this. Plus i have a suppressed 5.56 sbr w/ RDS

this is a different gun with different purposes
this upper will be wearing an 18.5oz can so its not going to be realy light and nimble