PDA

View Full Version : Keymod explanation

19trax95
03-12-14, 20:03
I searched on Google and found some good info and I think I understand it. But I still can't picture it in my head. So I am wondering how a keymod rail works. I understand that the accessory gets slid into the hole and pushed forward to seat it into place. And a screw gets tightened to hold it there. But how does that screw hold it there?

I looked for pictures but couldn't find anything decent. So if someone has time or has one already mind posting a picture of how the screw they reference hold it on there. Thank for any info.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

rapomstage3
03-12-14, 20:22
I can see the future. Closed coming soon.

19trax95
03-12-14, 20:25
And why's that?

officerX
03-12-14, 20:33
And why's that?

Iraqgunz will come along shortly and close this. But I'll try to explain it.

The screws have a nut on them. The nut goes through the round part of the Keymod slot. You slide the accessory forward into the long part of the slot and tighten up the screw, securing it to the rail.

Tapatalk

19trax95
03-12-14, 20:38
OK. That's what I was looking for. I was picturing something different. I was thinking it was like a solid piece that slid in the slot and the screw tightened to the rail. It makes more sense the way you said it.

Thank you for the help. I'm trying to decide if I want a keymod rail or a picitiny. I like the clean look of keymod and the only thing I'd put on it is a flash light and possibly a fore grip. But then again I see that there isn't a foregrip available for keymod yet.

19trax95
03-12-14, 20:44
I should be more specific. (And my phone won't let me edit for some reason) but by for grip I mean like the magpul angled foregrip.

Karinger
03-12-14, 20:51
If you Google Keymod, the Wikipedia site has drawings that should help. I went the Keymod route and I'm glad I did.

19trax95
03-12-14, 21:06
I found a picture that puts the above explanation into a picture. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/13/2ybe6e2y.jpg

LoveAR
03-12-14, 21:28
deleted

officerX
03-12-14, 21:47
OK. That's what I was looking for. I was picturing something different. I was thinking it was like a solid piece that slid in the slot and the screw tightened to the rail. It makes more sense the way you said it.

Thank you for the help. I'm trying to decide if I want a keymod rail or a picitiny. I like the clean look of keymod and the only thing I'd put on it is a flash light and possibly a fore grip. But then again I see that there isn't a foregrip available for keymod yet.
You'd have to but a picatinny (sp?) rail piece and mount it to the Keymod rail and then put the AFG on that.

19trax95
03-12-14, 21:55
But then I may as well get a picatinny handguard. I just like the clean look of a rail-less handguard but also like to mount some things. I have time to decide since I want to get proficient in shooting the rifle before I go crazy buying stuff for it that's not ammo.