PDA

View Full Version : Two piece free float

BKennedy
03-12-14, 20:19
I've got a 16" upper that I'm going to shave the front sight and put on at least a 12" free float rail but I'm having trouble figuring out which ones will fit and which ones won't. I know the Omega is a no go but can anyone point me towards some that will? The Centurion is an option but it's a little pricey for my use which will be mounting a bipod and a light. Well, that and the free float aspect.

rapomstage3
03-12-14, 20:21
I would go centurion but maybe wait for something slick.

Dan_93SER
03-12-14, 20:51
The 12" Omega actually does fit over a shaved FSB, but you really have to take off a lot of metal and even then it's pretty close to contacting the rail.

Another option is the Fortis Rev.

s4morris
03-12-14, 20:54
The 12" Omega actually does fit over a shaved FSB, but you really have to take off a lot of metal and even then it's pretty close to contacting the rail.

Another option is the Fortis Rev.

I recently installed the 9" Fortis Rev and it's a great piece, although I installed a low profile gas block and a black gas tube.

El Cid
03-12-14, 20:54
Is a shaved FSB a must? I put the Troy Delta rail on my 6920 and am thoroughly impressed! Took 5 minutes to install and I have a free-floated handguard with the extra room up front for my hand and a light. If for some reason I need to go back to OEM configuration it will take another 5 minutes.

Ryno12
03-12-14, 21:18
I'm running an MI two piece on my go to AR. Very happy with it.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=422

Sent via Tapatalk

F-Trooper05
03-12-14, 21:30
Centurion is worth the price tag. Easy to install and bomber.

Wake27
03-12-14, 21:56
Another vote for Centurion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thopkins22
03-12-14, 22:01
I'd be prone to leaving the FSB just how it is and adding a 12" centurion FSP model. This, with an X300 in front of the FSB is in my opinion the slickest setup for a rifle with carbine length gas.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Centurion-Arms-C4-Rail-System-FSP-12in-p/centurion-06012-fsp.htm

It was true when DD brought out the DDM4 and it's still true today.

BKennedy
03-13-14, 05:54
If this gun was going to be used in any courses or as a bedside gun, I would definitely keep the fsp. This is a BCM stainless upper that will spend its life under magnified optics shooting a slower rate of fire than my training guns so the front sight post is going bye bye.

And thank you all even you're not saving me any money!

GH41
03-13-14, 06:25
If this gun was going to be used in any courses or as a bedside gun, I would definitely keep the fsp. This is a BCM stainless upper that will spend its life under magnified optics shooting a slower rate of fire than my training guns so the front sight post is going bye bye.

And thank you all even you're not saving me any money!

Leave the FSP unmolested (in case you want to go back). Get a low pro gas block ($35). Wait for the 15" KMR. The Centurion rail weighs over a pound and it doesn't sound like you need the rail space. GH

BKennedy
03-13-14, 06:40
You're correct in that I don't necessarily need the rail space, I just want my bipod as far out front as I can get it.

As to the lo pro gas block, it was my understanding that these aren't nearly as secure as the one that's already pinned on?

scooter22
03-13-14, 07:13
Why do you want a two-piece?

What about the BCM KMR, Noveske NSR or Centurion CMR?

BKennedy
03-13-14, 07:21
I'm trying to avoid pulling the barrel as I don't have the tools for it and there aren't any AR 'smiths near me that I would trust. If I had that ability I would be looking more at the one piece rails.

scooter22
03-13-14, 07:22
I'm trying to avoid pulling the barrel as I don't have the tools for it and there aren't any AR 'smiths near me that I would trust. If I had that ability I would be looking more at the one piece rails.

In that case, I would go with the Centurion C4.

munch520
03-13-14, 07:59

Kudos for recognizing your limits and not charging in like an idiot and screwing something up!

Centurion gets my vote.

GH41
03-13-14, 08:08
The Troy Alpha is one piece, 1 1/2" ID and priced well under $200. It attaches to the standard barrel nut and weighs about 14 oz. It ships with a 2 and 3" rail section. I wouldn't butcher the FSB. A clamp on or set screw gas block will be fine for your application. It will be protected from impact by the rail. Stake the set screws and don't worry about it. GH