PDA

View Full Version : Convince me or steer me away...Help me decide!

mrvip27
03-13-14, 04:56
I have fallen trap to the 13.7 barrel/15" nsr/kx5 look...(I know...I know...)

Convince me to stay with this idea or steer me away...

From what I have read, people seem to go this route, get it pinned at ADCO, then reverse it later due to front weight, etc. I mean you have to consider the stainless barrel weight and the kx5 only sheds 4oz...

Should I steer away from this? It looks cool, but...function right?

On a side note, would I be better off going with the DD RIS II or URX 3.1 if I don't go that route.

Here is a mock up of what I got going.
Got the Noveske lower/Mur1a upper/Moe fixed stock. Just deciding on rail options.

Thanks guys!

Col_Crocs
03-13-14, 05:16
Ya, it looks waaaaay cool. Weight shouldn't be an issue... i mean, in the end, it's going to weigh a ton when you put an RDS, on the scope, on the scope and a light, on the light, on the light, anyway.

Eurodriver
03-13-14, 05:57
Why don't you start with basing your purchase on what you want the weapon to do, rather than what you want it to look like?

sadmin
03-13-14, 08:17
The force is strong with that build. Rarely these days am I moved to buy something just because it looks cool but damnit if I just didnt head down this road a few months ago. Looks, plus I generally liked the feedback I get from a Bulgarian 4-piece on my ak105. Let me write your ending for you though. You will get it all together, revel in its good looks, shoot it, and then...feel slightly disenchanted. Its not overly heavy, but it will feel unbalanced compared to your other rifles. It just doesnt do anything "great" besides look good unless its in its proper role which is on a 11.5 or lower in my opinion. Unless you just have the cash to blow, my advice is to print out a picture of it and put it on your refrigerator.

weggy
03-13-14, 08:41
Why don't you start with basing your purchase on what you want the weapon to do, rather than what you want it to look like?

This is without a doubt the correct way to fly. Tacticool really ain't all the cool.

Aaron_B
03-13-14, 08:48
If you are undecided now on what you want, just imagine if you had the damn thing pinned already and became undecided.

quaesitor logica
03-13-14, 10:07
I dont see the logic is using a KX on such a long barrel. They do help with a short barrel (11.5 and shorter). A standard flash hider will serve you better with less cost and weight on a relatively longer barrel.

Airhasz
03-13-14, 10:28
Build two uppers. One functional and one cool looking.

ROK
03-13-14, 10:28
I think your only other option, other than NFA, is a BE Meyers 249F on a 13.7" barrel.

justin_247
03-13-14, 13:05
I dont see the logic is using a KX on such a long barrel. They do help with a short barrel (11.5 and shorter). A standard flash hider will serve you better with less cost and weight on a relatively longer barrel.

Completely agree. The KX5 is a waste on that length of barrel.

quaesitor logica
03-13-14, 13:36
Completely agree. The KX5 is a waste on that length of barrel.

Yep, like offroad tires on a prius.

mrvip27
03-13-14, 14:32
Thanks for the input guys.

tom12.7
03-13-14, 14:44
I've done many 13.5/13.7" URX3.0 combos. Not a fan of kx type MDs. The URX3.0 works better for me than the shorter Mid URX3.1.

Rekkr870
03-13-14, 15:41
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/14/ezahu8eh.jpg

13.7" Noveske Infidel w/ BE Meyers 249F

mastiffhound
03-13-14, 16:34

This^. When I went looking for an AR I wanted my first one back (I hate to count that blasphemous buttmaster) to be able to do a little longer range for use on hogs and be soft shooting. I looked and waited for BCM to get a 20" AR in stock but I ended up with a 20" PSA with a FN barrel as 20" ARs weren't as popular 2 years ago. Of course now Colt is coming out with one. My second is a BCM 16" Carbine, I thought I had ordered a mid-length but I screwed up. I have no regret, it's the nicest AR I have. I wanted it for home defense and it fits the bill.

Screw looks, function is king. It sounds like a you will be giving up a little velocity for what will still be a 16" length AR? Why not just go for a 14.5" at that point? You won't have a heavier weight hanging off the end either. You've already done some research and know some have been unhappy with this setup. Unless you are going for an NFA you will pay twice for two muzzle devices and the attachment, You said you would have it pinned though. It will swing faster (quicker transitions target to target) with a lighter muzzle device for sure. Most have said for that barrel length a KX5 isn't needed, I just watched a video about the BE Meyers 249F. It did very well at flash suppression and weighs almost half as much as a KX5, and only about a quarter of a KX3. That would be the route I would go as Rekkr870 posted a pic that still looked plenty "cool".

mrvip27
03-13-14, 16:55
Thanks for the additional input guys. I appreciate it. I might change this all up a bit now that I got some feedback.

HD1911
03-13-14, 18:14

Sound Logic.

MegademiC
03-13-14, 21:02

Another +1. If your worried about looks, buy airsoft. If you want to show all your friends and shoot dirt clumps a few times a year - you will be happy with it.
If you really want to shoot, you will probably be looking elsewhere. Its all about rounds on target. Not that it wont do it, but you can do better for less IMO.

mrvip27
03-13-14, 21:05
Another +1. If your worried about looks, buy airsoft. If you want to show all your friends and shoot dirt clumps a few times a year - you will be happy with it.
If you really want to shoot, you will probably be looking elsewhere. Its all about rounds on target. Not that it wont do it, but you can do better for less IMO.

Well let me say this. I have a couple purpose builds going. I was just looking for opinions and information on this setup option. Kind of was going for a different type of build.

wilson1911
03-13-14, 21:38
We always seem to go function over form, it's the reason I love this site ; )

Col_Crocs
03-13-14, 22:36
^^Exactly. Which is why I found it odd that he would even ask such a thing here.

carolvs
03-14-14, 03:22
^^Exactly. Which is why I found it odd that he would even ask such a thing here.

If he wanted to be convinced not to do it, he came to the right place.

mrvip27
03-14-14, 03:23
If he wanted to be convinced not to do it, he came to the right place.

And you persuaded me not to do it :) I can always count on m4carbine.net :p