PDA

View Full Version : Round count longevity of stainless steel vs. aluminum AR mags?

shadowspirit
03-13-14, 18:48
If we compare stainless steel AR magazines to aluminum AR magazines, it seems the steel ones would go through more rounds or more cycles (a mag being loaded then fired) before needing to be disposed.

How many more cycles would the steel ones last? Not an actual number but a qualitative guess. An example might be: Steel will shoot 50% more rounds before it is garbage compared to aluminum. Or steel will shoot twice as many rounds before it needs to be disposed compared to aluminum. Etc.

Assume other parts such as springs and followers are not a factor. In other words, assume a person changed the springs and followers as needed.

mastiffhound
03-13-14, 19:00
I would think what the springs are made of are more of a concern. Feed lips may be of some issue also. Plenty of guys buy aluminum mags only and think they are the best. Dropping loaded or unloaded mags on concrete or other very hard surfaces may be an actual test of steel vs aluminum durability. The followers are made out of polymer and would take god knows how long to actually wear out aluminum or steel.

shadowspirit
03-13-14, 19:06
I would think what the springs are made of are more of a concern.

Thanks. I changed my post. I forgot to write assume the springs and followers were changed as needed.

markm
03-13-14, 21:42
In my experience running the steel I've found that the weight of them is an offset to the durability in that they will eventually take a drop that dents the feedlips. The steel being much heavier means the feed lip damage is worse.

I've run the steel in my range gear for over a decade... since the 94 Clinton Ban. The worked fine, but I wouldn't but them over Aluminum.