PDA

View Full Version : Apple iOS 7.1

Belmont31R
03-13-14, 22:07
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/refinements-additions-and-un-breaking-stuff-ios-7-1-reviewed/

Seems to have fixed most issues and should have been what 7.x was released as.

_Stormin_
03-13-14, 22:14
Yeah, except for the fact that 7.0 was a huge rebuild, and ended up being rushed to make the launch of the new phone. Every .X version of iOS is what the first one should have been. That's why they're incremental updates.

That said, there are a lot of positive changes in 7.1, and even the release version has new things that none of the five Betas had over the past five months. It makes me wonder what they're holding on to for WWDC in June.

Belmont31R
03-13-14, 22:17
Yeah, except for the fact that 7.0 was a huge rebuild, and ended up being rushed to make the launch of the new phone. Every .X version of iOS is what the first one should have been. That's why they're incremental updates.

That said, there are a lot of positive changes in 7.1, and even the release version has new things that none of the five Betas had over the past five months. It makes me wonder what they're holding on to for WWDC in June.

OSX and I watch integration with polish on iOS 7.

_Stormin_
03-13-14, 22:28
What do you think their huge sapphire crystal factory is for? Phone screens?

Maybe, but the current glass used is insanely less expensive and I don't see a company that makes more per unit sold than anyone outside of Vertu making such an expensive change for a minor jump in performance.

But watch crystals? Now that sounds like it's exactly why you would buy a huge sapphire producer and tell NOBODY about the "Secret Project" (http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/28/sapphire-secret-project/).

Belmont31R
03-13-14, 22:34
No I think it's for the I watch. I've seen all the mwc and trade show sapphire demos. I know what it is but if anyone is going to pull it off on a phone screen it is Apple.

CoryCop25
03-13-14, 22:47
I like the new keyboard. I have been doing a lot less sausage fingering the past two days. My battery is horrible. I have until November for an upgrade. I am wondering if it would be cost effective to have a new battery put in. I have to charge it 2-3 times a day.

Belmont31R
03-13-14, 22:51
I like the new keyboard. I have been doing a lot less sausage fingering the past two days. My battery is horrible. I have until November for an upgrade. I am wondering if it would be cost effective to have a new battery put in. I have to charge it 2-3 times a day.

How did you update?

_Stormin_
03-13-14, 22:53
My battery is horrible. I have until November for an upgrade. I am wondering if it would be cost effective to have a new battery put in. I have to charge it 2-3 times a day.

Guessing you're a 4S then? Thirty bucks if you're handy: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4S-Replacement-Battery/IF115-005-2

CoryCop25
03-13-14, 22:54
Phone asked me if i wanted to update and I pressed ok.
Battery has been problematic for a couple months.

CoryCop25
03-13-14, 22:54
iPhone 5 got it the week it was released.

Belmont31R
03-13-14, 22:56
With 7.1 I'd recommend people do a DFU restore. Do it at your own risk as far as data loss.

_Stormin_
03-13-14, 23:01
With 7.1 I'd recommend people do a DFU restore. Do it at your own risk as far as data loss.

Why? (Full disclosure: I don't make the same recommendation...)

bp7178
03-14-14, 00:03
The calender improvements alone are worth the update.

polymorpheous
03-14-14, 00:39
I have a 4s.
iOS7 caused my wifi to "grey out".
I ended up exchanging phone 3 times under my AppleCare plan before I lucked out and got a 4s that still had iOS6.
I haven't updated this phone to iOS7 and it works just fine.
I did like some if the upgrades with iOS7, but it wasn't worth the disabled wifi.

Will this update fix the issues with the 4s?
Or has Apple abandoned 4s users?

polymorpheous
03-14-14, 00:39
I have a 4s.
I ended up exchanging phone 3 times under my AppleCare plan before I lucked out and got a 4s that still had iOS6.
I did like some if the upgrades with iOS7, but it wasn't worth the disabled wifi.

Treehopr
03-14-14, 07:11
I did the latest update and lost my entire iTunes music library, ending up having to re-download every song.

Other than that, I like the new screen for phone calls, less likely to accidentally hang up on someone and still working through some of the other changes.

Belmont31R
03-14-14, 08:20
Why? (Full disclosure: I don't make the same recommendation...)

To make sure the OS starts off fresh. There's a much larger chance of something going wrong with a larger update like this and causing battery drain issues or other problems.

Of course people should make sure they don't have contacts stored locally and have pictures and such saved.

Belmont31R
03-14-14, 08:22
I have a 4s.

I don't know if it will or not because that's not normal at all. I've been using iOS 7 since the betas last year and have never had a problem connecting to wifi at multiple locations. Were you not able to connect to any wifi anywhere?

_Stormin_
03-14-14, 10:12
Grey out means he would connect and the connection would fade out over time...

Poly what router are you using? I've never seen that issue with the 4S, and it could be your hardware in addition to the software.

polymorpheous
03-14-14, 10:17
It was the phone, not the router.
It wouldn't connect to WiFi anywhere.
The grey out is a known problem for the 4s running iOS7.

polymorpheous
03-14-14, 10:25
Apparently iOS7 is power hungry and burns up the wifi chip in the 4s.
A quick Google search shows that iOS7.1 hasn't fixed the issue.

Guess I'll keep running iOS6 until I get a new phone.

steyrman13
03-14-14, 10:40
Guessing you're a 4S then? Thirty bucks if you're handy: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4S-Replacement-Battery/IF115-005-2

I've seen batteries as low as $7 on eBay with the tools included from the same company I purchased a replacement charging port on a 4s. I'm not sure if the battery is as good, but the port worked great

CoryCop25
03-14-14, 14:21
I did the latest update and lost my entire iTunes music library, ending up having to re-download every song.

Other than that, I like the new screen for phone calls, less likely to accidentally hang up on someone and still working through some of the other changes.

I couldn't play my songs from the control screen (one the flips up from the bottom). I went into Music and played one song and it went back to normal.

telecustom
03-14-14, 14:30
I tried to install IOS7 last night and it crashed my phone (4S). It is still locked with the connect to iTunes icon on the screen. I connected it to iTunes last night and it didn't help. The Tech at Apple said they will have to remote into my phone when I get home tonight. It is really strange not having a phone all day.

jmp45
03-14-14, 15:00
I updated my iphone 5, no power issues. Rush mentioned today a fix that worked for him. After update charge to full. Use the phone an let it go into standby for 10 or 15 minutes. If the power goes down to 97 - 98% reboot the phone. Rush said his went back up to 100% after reboot and the power issue went away.