PDA

View Full Version : Training with a 1911 .45 acp

Semi_auto
05-24-08, 16:37
I enjoy training but am now finding that qaulity ammo can cost as much as or more than the course. I don't want to buy lesser quality stuff and increase the chance of malfunction but at some point (unless I reload) that may be my only option. I could switch to another platform but I beleive the 1911 and P7 are the best fit for me.

I was looking at a few 1911's chambered in 9mm (because shooting 300-400 rounds per day through a P7 could get painful) and wondered:
Are there any drawbacks to training with a 1911 chambered in 9mm versus one chambered in .45acp?

RD62
05-24-08, 17:19
Other than a different recoil sensation, I can't think of any.

-RD62

Semi_auto
05-24-08, 18:41
Perfect. Thank you.

tjcoker
05-24-08, 19:33
I really liked training with my old Yobo 1* 1911 chambered in 9mm. It was excellent in every regard with the exception of having a different recoil than my 45. The difference in recoil beats using a .22LR conversion kit to save money.

My thing was to make sure the sights were the same between both guns so that I would have the exact same sight picture. It's better than training on a G17 and carrying a G21 since the 1911's were the same dimensions.

Dozer
05-24-08, 19:41
Will you be shooting a single stank or high-capacity pistol? The reason I ask is because single stack 9mm 1911 magazines are a little finicky. Metalform makes a good 9mm magazine and I understand Wilson Combat just came out with a magazine for single stack 9mm magazine. I have not used either so I can't attest to their durability but it is something you might want to keep in mind. I hope this helps.

S/F

Semi_auto
05-24-08, 19:55
Will you be shooting a single stank or high-capacity pistol? The reason I ask is because single stack 9mm 1911 magazines are a little finicky. Metalform makes a good 9mm magazine and I understand Wilson Combat just came out with a magazine for single stack 9mm magazine. I have not used either so I can't attest to their durability but it is something you might want to keep in mind. I hope this helps.

S/F

I will shoot single stack. I will start researching the mags you mentioned.

tjcoker
05-24-08, 20:18
The Metalforms is what I used and is what came with my Yobo that I bought used. They fed without issue for the 500 rounds I ran through it before moving to the Glock platform. Two of my six mags did stop locking the slide back, but I have no idea how many rounds were run through those mags before I took ownership.

ToddG
05-24-08, 20:41
Shooting a smaller caliber weapon is doable as long as you keep a few things in mind:

Don't practice exclusively with the lighter recoiling gun.
Begin and end your shooting sessions with the carry gun, and specifically with some speed work to get dialed back in on the recoil/flip and proper control. You can do other stuff after the speed drills, but don't go back to the 9mm again. The last time you shoot a gun fast, it should be your .45 if you're going to carry it.
The price of a quality reliable 9mm 1911 might be high enough to offset the difference in cost for a fair quantity of .45 Auto ammo.

DocGKR
05-24-08, 21:02
If I am going to carry a .45 ACP 1911, I'll train with a .45 ACP 1911.

tjcoker
05-24-08, 22:26
If I am going to carry a .45 ACP 1911, I'll train with a .45 ACP 1911.

I must admit that changing to the Glock 19 made a lot of sense for me as to carrying the EXACT gun that I practice with. I was able to sell my 9mm 1911 for the price of three new Glock 19's setup the exact same (carry gun, range/down gun, nightstand gun).

Doing this doesn't give me any concern over whether working with my 9mm 1911 was going to do be any harm over working/carrying my 45 1911.

rhino
05-26-08, 16:43
The most significant issue with a 9mm 1911 is getting it to function properly. Once you get over that hurdle (or the gun you buy works well from the start), you can commence to saving money on ammunition.

Of course, this made more sense when you could get 1000 rounds of 9mm for a $100-120. Now that it's $190+ per 1000, it's not as attractive.

I shoot my 9mm 1911 more than all of my other guns combined (although that will change now that I can shoot .22LR). When I shoot my .45, I don't have any problems with it, at least none that I can tell when shooting a match. It just takes a little while longer for the front sight to settle for subsequent shots. If you rely on visual cues from your sights to determine your shooting pace, it shouldn't be an issue to switch back and forth.

kjo
05-27-08, 11:42
some instructors have recommended that a 45 shooter spending some time with a 9mm is a fine training addition -- less recoil might/could lead to improved recoil managemant and less visits by "el snatcho".

of course, as mentioned by others, working with the 45 is still mandatory.

markm
05-27-08, 11:57
I just started something similar, but in the glock realm.

I'm shooting a 17 and carrying my 22. (I know the 40 cal glocks are out of fashion here:p, but I don't care. ) I don't feel much difference between the two. But the 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot. I have the exact same sights on both.

But going back to the original side subject of reloading.... .45acp is pretty expensive to reload too. The price per bullet spread between 9mm and 45 is significant. Especially if you are wanting a good quality jacketed bullet. There's a lot more raw material in a 230 gr bullet vs. what' in a 124 gr 9mm bullet.... so with copper and lead prices high... the .45 is not an optimal round to be reloading.