PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express Quality

marh415
03-14-14, 16:31
So I picked up a Super Mag for turkey season last week. After taking it out of the box, I noticed that the finish on the receiver has changed to a very flat black smooth finish. Is this new? Not too impressed with the fit of their supercell recoil pad either. I'm sure it will suit my needs just fine. However, I'm feeling kind of disappointed! Are they starting to slip on there quality? Hmmm!

GH41
03-14-14, 17:06
If the finish is new there is a chance it might be better. You cannot expect premium fit and finish at it's price point. GH

tarkeg
03-14-14, 22:51
So I picked up a Super Mag for turkey season last week. After taking it out of the box, I noticed that the finish on the receiver has changed to a very flat black smooth finish. Is this new? Not too impressed with the fit of their supercell recoil pad either. I'm sure it will suit my needs just fine. However, I'm feeling kind of disappointed! Are they starting to slip on there quality? Hmmm!

Unfortunately more than fit and finish are slipping with the 870. It's fairly common these days to get one that doesn't want to unlock after firing. Rough chambers and rough locking lugs and recesses. They can be smoothed out, but some have issues right out of the box.

marh415
03-15-14, 08:19
I'm more of a Benelli or Browning fan for sporting guns, but with the lack of them on the shelves these days I decided to take a look at Remington once more. The ones I had in the past were great as far as function, fit and finish. I had to order the one I just bought. Had I seen it, I would have never picked it up. Again, I'm not a hater, I just wanted to get others opinions on the newer ones. Thanks!

TurretGunner
03-19-14, 13:06
Express are junk guns. I own like 4 of them and have owned about 8 over the years. Most get sold or given away to new shooters.

If you want an 870, find and old wing master from pre 1990ish. Those were the guns that built the 870 legacy that Remington has destroyed over the last 20 or so years.

For new pumps, the bps has no rival, although I would not pass up a Winchester.

Depends what you want to do? You can get a brand new bertta a300 for $650 or find a quality used 390/3901 for 5-600 that will blow away anything on the market today quality wise at twice the price. Pumps are kind of obsolete

williejc
03-20-14, 08:56
Give your Express a good cleaning; if it has extraction issues, polish the chamber with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bristle brush. I would wager that this shotgun will do what you bought it for. Let Remington fix any issues if any arise.

c3006
04-02-14, 18:53
Thanks to the marts Remington has made a cheap line of fire arms and they are what they are.

davidz71
04-03-14, 16:45
I had an 870 Express 12 ga. turkey gun about 5 years ago that I expected to be a little rough compared to our 870 Police Magnums at work but it never gave me a problem. Realize that this was 5 years ago and I haven't hefted a newer one lately. I sold the 870 Express and bought a Benelli M2 and haven't looked back. It has been an excellent turkey gun with the Rhino Choke. Longest kills have been 62 and 64 yards and that is stretching it. I do run into nice used 870 Wingmasters at gun shows and they are slick as owl snot. I do like them.

Averageman
04-04-14, 08:13
I think if I was in the market for an 870 I would start shopping the local pawn shops.
There is usually a pretty good selection, so many in fact that you can often get a good price. I picked up one that was well used 870 Express for $150. I have also found one of the better Wingmasters (pre remchoke days) for $200.
Finding a good used 870 is like buying a used F150, it may look like crap, but they usually run well with a little work.

sammage
04-04-14, 08:24
I think if I was in the market for an 870 I would start shopping the local pawn shops.
There is usually a pretty good selection, so many in fact that you can often get a good price. I picked up one that was well used 870 Express for $150. I have also found one of the better Wingmasters (pre remchoke days) for $200.
Finding a good used 870 is like buying a used F150, it may look like crap, but they usually run well with a little work.

Also, check out Summit Gun Broker. He usually has police trade ins for a good price.

lugie101
04-06-14, 21:47
I'm having difficulty digesting the new lot of 870 express guns, myself. I was looking for a shotgun to keep in the truck for last-minute bird hunts, and don't want to leave any of my Benelli's in there full time.

The plastic trigger components, ever-present (half-assed) machining marks, etc. I won't ever get another one unless it's damn cheap. I've seen those Express guns lock up so tight after a shot that the barrel had to be pulled to get the spent shell out--and nobody has time to do that when the birds are coming in.

I think i'll have to track down an old Wingmaster or something of the sort.

buckkiller35
04-07-14, 05:15
Give your Express a good cleaning; if it has extraction issues, polish the chamber with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bristle brush. I would wager that this shotgun will do what you bought it for. Let Remington fix any issues if any arise.

This is what I did and mine is fine.

Uni-Vibe
08-04-14, 18:56
Bought one in twenty gauge. Before I ever fired a shot, the slide locked up and refused to move. I took it back to the gun store and they pulled another one down from the shelf. Same thing happened, right there on the counter. I got a refund. As far as I'm concerned, 870 express is Junk.