PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Nova Tactical VS 870 police

adh
03-14-14, 21:46
1st off I am not a shotgun shooter by any means...I shoot a couple of dove every year but that's about it.

Son (11 years old) wants to get into 3 gun
pumps generally are cheaper and more reliable than autos. That decision has been made.

I've been looking used as there's a good chance this ends up being mine and it just sits in the safe.
870 police models are not cheap at all and finding a used Benelli Nova Tactical is much easier than finding a used 870 police and they appear to run a good deal less $.
So that makes me wonder are is here something wrong with the Benelli?
And are the 870 police really worth that difference in cost?

Thanks for any input.

Symmetry
03-14-14, 22:07
1st off I am not a shotgun shooter by any means...I shoot a couple of dove every year but that's about it.

pumps generally are cheaper and more reliable than autos. That decision has been made.

I've been looking used as there's a good chance this ends up being mine and it just sits in the safe.
870 police models are not cheap at all and finding a used Benelli Nova Tactical is much easier than finding a used 870 police and they appear to run a good deal less $.
So that makes me wonder are is here something wrong with the Benelli?
And are the 870 police really worth that difference in cost?

Thanks for any input.

I've been running and working on 870s for the better part of 20yrs. In many ways, the quality of Remington shotguns has gone downhill.....even with the police models. We bought a few two years ago to replace some of our older ones(1970s Wingmasters), and they have had a few problems. On the flip side, we have also been trying out a few SuperNovas and have been pleased with them. At this point, I would prefer to just go all Benelli for duty use.

adh
03-14-14, 23:05
Thanks!!!
That is definitively not what I expected to hear.
The novas look goofy to me but that's probably why my son thinks they look cool
I just want to make sure we get something that's reliable

eljimbo142
03-14-14, 23:21
my nova has run flawlessly. my friends auto choked up on some old plastic shells my in-law gave me but my nova didn't even hiccup.

Nowski87
03-14-14, 23:41
I have been looking hard for a new shot gun. I have owned three 870's and love them. Bu like stated before the new ones are not what they used to be. I have been lokloking at the Nova and I love the action. Its like glass and the button on tje slide that allows for a quick slug change ovet is awesome. Now if you want to try one for even less check out the Stoger. They are owned by Benelli just the factories are in Turkey.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

hk_shootr
03-15-14, 07:28
I have a Super Nova Tac,.......great gun for the $450 entry price.
Truly love the 870, have a '69 Wingmaster with a Flexi-tab kit installed. However, if I had to pick between a Benelli or a new 870, I can honestly say the Super Nova is the better shotgun.

adh
03-15-14, 14:12
thanks for all the input....I think the decision has been made

VFM3
03-16-14, 01:47
You may want to consider feeling the Nova before jumping the gun.

Symmetry
03-16-14, 08:07
You may want to consider feeling the Nova before jumping the gun.

Kinda like feeling a Glock, and feeling a 1911. Which one works better?.....hard to tell by feeling them.

adh
03-16-14, 12:01
I actually did take my son to Bass pro and checked out the Benelli Novas....pistol grip would be a no go due to LOP issue, but standard butt stock model he could shoulder just fine. I actually pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a police trade in thatI found on gun broker...got what appears to be a used but excellent condition nova tactical with rifle sights for $300 shipped.....we'll see how this goes.

thopkins22
03-16-14, 13:34

I know you've already made your decision, and I generally agree that a pump shotgun is something that should probably wind up in your safe before an autoloader.

But I'm not too convinced that pumps are more reliable in actual use. With the exception of Saigas(which always seem to be finicky) I see far more malfunctions with pumps than with autos at matches. They may be user-induced malfunctions/stoppages/whatever, but it's what I see.

Between the Benelli's and FN's, I can't say that I've seen many malfunctions at all.

In terms of 3-gun, an auto is easier to run fast...but chances are good that his target to target transitions won't be fast enough for a while to really matter...his biggest gains will be his ability to load the gun. At all but the highest levels(where speed of the actual shooting starts to count,) he will find the biggest competitive advantage by learning to load fast. In my experience, shotgun stages at local matches are almost entirely decided by who can load the fastest...the shooting itself is secondary as opposed to pistol and rifle stages.

LibertyNeverDies
03-16-14, 14:28
I just saw this thread now. I own both an 870 Express and Nova Tactical. The Nova is a lot of gun for the money, but I like the 870 better because it has more options. That said if you don't want to mount a light(which isn't necessary for your son's needs) the Nova is great.

One thing to think about on the NOVA are side saddles it you go with the Velcro ones anything over five rounds is to large because of fore-end clearance. A four round shot card would be optimal.

The action OTB is kinda rough compared to what my 870 was. I put a lot of frog lube on the action bars and that smoothed it out once I worked the action a lot. Now it is smooth but still not as smooth as my 870.

adh
03-16-14, 16:04
Thanks for the continued input

I will add that my primary reasoning for the IDPA, tactical carbine, and now possibly 3 gun competition is for good training that is not static. I want myself/my son to be comfortable with the use and manipulation of the weapons in the event that we were ever in need to use them in a defensive scenario....as far as winning goes I couldn't care less and my counsel to my son is to take his time, get good shots on target and do his best.

At 11 my son has been hovering around the 35th percentile using M&P 22 pistol and M&P 15-22carbine. Yesterday was his 3rd match to participate in. He's not really into sports much so I am encouraging this a lot. The next youngest person at the IDPA match yesterday was probably more than twice his age.

The 12gauge is a big step up within the competition arena for him, but he uses a .308 for hunting and has no problems there. He wants a "tactical" shotgun and I don't mind having that excuse to add another weapon to the stable. Reliability is the primary concern with the purchase and based on the input here I don't think I made a bad decision based on the entry cost.

LibertyNeverDies

Thanks for the input on the side saddle for the Nova because that will be on the list. Any suggestions on where to get a 4 round shot card?

Thanks again

VFM3
03-16-14, 16:23
Kinda like feeling a Glock, and feeling a 1911. Which one works better?.....hard to tell by feeling them.

Quite mistaken, I will take whichever fits my hand the best and has a crisper trigger.

Length of pull crucial for shotguns.

LibertyNeverDies
03-16-14, 16:24
24439There is a pic of how close it is to the fore-end when with action is open.
24440Here is how the velcro wraps around on my five round Ares Gear Shot card.
24441Just another reference pic.

I don't know of anyone that makes a four round card but if your son can live with the slightly oversized card for the gun then I can suggest the ares gear cards. I was skeptical of the Velcro on a gun thing but I really like it after having used it. They also make a 2rd card that I plan on adding to the right of my gun.

LibertyNeverDies
03-16-14, 16:29
Quite mistaken, I will take whichever fits my hand the best and has a crisper trigger.

Length of pull crucial for shotguns.

The LOP and inability to mount a light on the fore-end are the only things I don't like about the Nova. I've even considered bringing it to the local gunsmithing school to see if they can cut it down and still use to stock butt-pad. The Nova is a lot bulkier than the 870 which isn't a negative for me but it isn't a pro either.

thopkins22
03-16-14, 16:31

I disagree about fit. Plenty of people shooting HKP30's will say that the smaller panels fit better. But when they switch to larger panels and get more hand on the gun(which may not fit/feel as good,) they actually shoot better and have better control of the recoil.

Plenty of things that don't feel better are in fact better. From golf swings to placement of the trigger finger on the trigger...feel isn't a very good indicator of many things.

LibertyNeverDies
03-16-14, 16:32
I agree. A lot of people I shoot with HATE! the "feel" of my glock but they shoot if better than M&Ps or even 1911s in some situations.

VFM3
03-16-14, 17:00
:agree: Well i guess I'm in the uncommon crowd who spends hundreds of dollars to get a shotgun stock fitted to me. That is my biggest problem with the Nova, stock options. That is why I went with the Supernova.

thopkins22
03-16-14, 17:06
Shotgun fit is a different ballgame particularly when you're looking to turn clays into dust and birds into dead birds. I think we were purely addressing the handgun aspect of the debate. Also, fitting a shotgun that you'll be shooting moving, from various positions, loading rapidly while moving, and so forth is a yet another thing entirely.

Not too many flying objects in 3-gun.

adh
03-16-14, 17:13
Not too many flying objects in 3-gun.
But that would certainly change the game if there were :p

BBJones13
03-19-14, 02:07
Novas/Supernovas are extremely well regarded pumps in 3-gun as they are pretty much the easiest pumps to load. In 3-gun loading the shotgun is very key in timing on shotgun stages. The disadvantage is most have a 3.5" chamber so cycling the action is a longer motion. They are mods to make it cycle like 2&3/4".

For your desired purpose I would highly recommend a nova/supernova with a 24" or 26" vent rib barrel. Add a +5 to +7 Nordic extension and you are ready to go.

However, if you are looking to get an entry level auto Stoeger M3000's are the new flavor dejuor. They use a similar inertia system as Benelli M2's (the king of 3gun). They can be had for $450-500 and only require a the loading port opened up (can be done with hand tools at home) and an extension. I will be getting one very soon myself.

seh
03-19-14, 11:20
I loved the idea of velcro on the gun untill it spent the day in the car on a 80 degree + day and turned into a sticky mess. Still use the cards just carry them in a pouch instead of on the gun.

24439There is a pic of how close it is to the fore-end when with action is open.
24440Here is how the velcro wraps around on my five round Ares Gear Shot card.
24441Just another reference pic.

I don't know of anyone that makes a four round card but if your son can live with the slightly oversized card for the gun then I can suggest the ares gear cards. I was skeptical of the Velcro on a gun thing but I really like it after having used it. They also make a 2rd card that I plan on adding to the right of my gun.

buckkiller35
04-07-14, 05:16
I don't think you can go wrong with the Benelli Nova Tactical.

teutonicpolymer
04-08-14, 14:38
I like the Nova, just wish the barrels were cheaper

jmnielsen
04-08-14, 16:02
I like the Nova, just wish the barrels were cheaper

I agree with you there. I was looking at barrels because I want one I can use chokes in and it would probably be cheaper to just have it threaded for them by Carlson's ($150).

teutonicpolymer
05-02-14, 20:41
I see nova tacticals for only $340 or so on kygunco... haven't ordered from there but the price is amazing imo

matty
06-02-14, 14:39
I really like my Pistol Grip Nova tactical. Fired a friends minus the Pistol Grip the other day and liked that one as well.

As said above I wish the barrels were more reasonably priced.

1toughdog
06-02-14, 18:39
I have a Nova and Super Nova both in 12ga: great shotguns with the best pump stroke due to the rotating head. Interchangeable chokes; bought the Nova for duck hunting and shot a great turkey with it (using turkey choke) and shot some trap - just checking it out. My usual trap gun is an O/U Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade - but Nova worked well especially in doubles and sporting clays with its pump/cycling capabilities. The Super Nova is every bit as capable, simply a different configuration. Not speaking as a fan boy as I own: Browning, Remington, Mossberg, Fabarms, 12s, 20s; pumps, semi-auto, O/U and SXS, and really like and trust shooting the Benelli. Good luck with your decision!

WS6
08-21-14, 12:21
Are the bores chrome lined on the Tacticals, like the other shotguns from Benelli?

IrishDevil
08-21-14, 22:50
Yes they are, I've never seen a Benelli that wasn't chrome lined, at least that I can recall.

WS6
08-23-14, 09:37
Thanks, IrishDevil.

What is the consensus on the Supernova Tactical vs. the 870P for a hard use gun? "Pick one", or will one last more rounds than the other/take more abuse/etc.?

IrishDevil
08-24-14, 09:21
I would honestly say, handle both and pick one. I've used both in a competition setting for many years. The Benelli is certainly the most "Glock" like. My two 870s have required much more maintenance than my Nova and Supernova. Aftermarket for the Benelli is lacking, compared to the 870.

Things that stick out in my mind:

Benelli loads easier
870 needs a good dehorn
Benelli feels more robust, ymmv
Surefire forends available for 870
Patterns no matter the load, have always been better with the Benelli's

WS6
08-24-14, 10:07
I would honestly say, handle both and pick one. I've used both in a competition setting for many years. The Benelli is certainly the most "Glock" like. My two 870s have required much more maintenance than my Nova and Supernova. Aftermarket for the Benelli is lacking, compared to the 870.

Things that stick out in my mind:

Benelli loads easier
870 needs a good dehorn
Benelli feels more robust, ymmv
Surefire forends available for 870
Patterns no matter the load, have always been better with the Benelli's

Thanks!

I want a quality pump that "always goes bang", and never breaks...but IF IT DOES BREAK...the part can be replaced with nothing more complex than a hammer, punch, or screwdriver. Not like an 870 that requires a trip to Remington if some parts go.