PDA

View Full Version : Where did my F1 go?

austinN4
03-16-14, 09:59
You know, the one with the 2.4-litre normally-aspirated 18,000 rpm screaming V8s. I guess they had to do something to stop Vettle and RBR.

This year we have 1.6-litre 15,000 rpm turbo-charged V6s and fuel flow restrictions to "green up" (lower) the fuel consumption.

And all sorts of other new rules: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/1/15408.html

bluejackets92fs
03-16-14, 10:15
Le Mans is where it's at anyways.

I don't think F1 will become any less entertaining as a result though so I'm not too worried about it. Can't possibly be any worse than NASCAR.

You know, the one with the 2.4-litre normally-aspirated 18,000 rpm screaming V8s. I guess they had to do something to stop Vettle and RBR.

This year we have 1.6-litre 15,000 rpm turbo-charged V6s and fuel flow restrictions to "green up" (lower) the fuel consumption.

And all sorts of other new rules: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/1/15408.html

austinN4
03-16-14, 10:58
Le Mans is where it's at anyways. I don't think F1 will become any less entertaining as a result though so I'm not too worried about it. Can't possibly be any worse than NASCAR.
Sports cars (Le Mans) and Formula cars are different breeds and both have a place. As to F1 not being less entertaining, I watched the season opener (Australia) replay this am and did find it less entertaining. Time will tell - maybe I will get used to it. There have always been year to year changes, but this season the changes are really radical. As for NASCAR, meh.

bluejackets92fs
03-16-14, 11:05
Sports cars (Le Mans) and Formula cars are different breeds and both have a place. As to F1 not being less entertaining, I watched the season opener (Australia) replay this am and did find it less entertaining. Time will tell - maybe I will get used to it. There have always been year to year changes, but this season the changes are really radical. As for NASCAR, meh.

Yeah I understand LE Mans is on a completely different playing field. If it has cars involved I'm usually able to tough it out unless they're going in circles.

Eurodriver
03-16-14, 11:29
I like NASCAR. I have all my teeth, and I'm college educated. I find it entertaining. Stop hating.

jbsmwd
03-16-14, 11:37
I like NASCAR. I have all my teeth, and I'm college educated. I find it entertaining. Stop hating.

Do dentures count? :D

Kyohte
03-16-14, 11:59

How is your wife...I mean sister?

I can stand the NASCAR road races, but that's about it. I wish they would ditch the damn restrictor plates for some of the races.

thopkins22
03-16-14, 12:20
Where did it go when they dumped turbochargers the first time? Where did it go when they dumped the V12's and V10's?

It'll be fine, but I wish they'd just let open wheel racing be less of a spec race. Just remember that the FIA was trying to make them go to I-4's...which would have been genuinely lame.

C-grunt
03-16-14, 12:21
Top Gear sent Hammond to a NASCAR race and he interviewed a former F1 driver who switched. He said it's a very challenging racing series as the cars aren't uber monitored by the pit crew like F1.

ForTehNguyen
03-16-14, 12:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHmYFlbFn8

kwelz
03-16-14, 12:56
I have never understood the appeal of watching a bunch of people drive in a circle for hours on end.

All that being said while they have indeed changed to a smaller engine the overall output is actually a bit increased. Base HP is 150 less the ERS system will put out double the old system and does it for almost 5 times longer. Overall it seems they are trying to introduce more tactical thinking for the drivers. The fuel limits are going to force them to plan races better and the ERS system will allow for some interesting moments on the course.

All that being said it is still boring as hell to watch wither F1 or NASCAR.

Belmont31R
03-16-14, 13:18
Vettel has made F1 boring in the sense of having competitive season but it's not boring watching a guy race himself into history and the record books. Seeing history being made every time he wins.

NASCAR isn't for me. I prefer road racing, WRC, Moto GP, ect.

Caduceus
03-16-14, 14:35
Meh. Im not a fan of any non human racing, and even then I dont watch marathons if they are telivised. Olympics, track and field, yes. Horses, cars, planes, etc? Thats just holding on and not falling asleep.

austinN4
03-16-14, 14:45
Transforming Formula One: 2014 Rules Explained
Great video! I am still going to miss the sound of the 18,000 rpm V8!

No.6
03-16-14, 15:29
Meh. Im not a fan of any non human racing, and even then I dont watch marathons if they are telivised. Olympics, track and field, yes. Horses, cars, planes, etc? Thats just holding on and not falling asleep.

To each his own. But as someone who raced in a formula series (albeit a couple of decades ago), it's far from "just holding on and not falling asleep".

Great video! I am still going to miss the sound of the 18,000 rpm V8!

Me too. Listening to them in P1 Thursday night, I commented to a buddy of mine that I'd had more melodious flatulence than those engines, er "power units".

Eurodriver
03-16-14, 17:29
Top Gear sent Hammond to a NASCAR race and he interviewed a former F1 driver who switched. He said it's a very challenging racing series as the cars aren't uber monitored by the pit crew like F1.

I think this is a big issue as to why I enjoy NASCAR. As much as they aren't "stock cars" (at all), they're definitely more stock than F1 cars.

F1, Le Mans, etc are enjoyable. But NASCAR is too, you just have to get past the "40 cars turning left for 3 hours" mentality.

ForTehNguyen
03-16-14, 17:52
an oldie but still great :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2OcW_Hwkg

Ryno12
03-16-14, 18:11
Why are people talking about "NAPCAR" in a thread about F1? It's the lowest form of motorsports out there.

I wish I had time to stay current with F1. I have all to do just to keep up with MotoGP, AMA & WSB.

Sent via Tapatalk

Caduceus
03-16-14, 18:21
To each his own. But as someone who raced in a formula series (albeit a couple of decades ago), it's far from "just holding on and not falling asleep".

Me too. Listening to them in P1 Thursday night, I commented to a buddy of mine that I'd had more melodious flatulence than those engines, er "power units".
I'm being somewhat facetious. I'm sure there is some sort of skill set for the job, or else everyone could do it, right? But lord knows what others see in it (and let's not bother trying to convince each other, as we'll just both get frustrated).

Now, granted, my experience with car races is working as EMS standby. The only thing I did after the first race different was bring ear plugs and something to read.

To the OP, the new rules sound like they're making the race more strategic. It'll be funny if cars start running out of gas in the middle of the race (and why are they going by weight of fuel, not volume?). I'd watch just for those laughs.

Eurodriver
03-16-14, 20:49
Why are people talking about "NAPCAR" in a thread about F1? It's the lowest form of motorsports out there.

I wish I had time to stay current with F1. I have all to do just to keep up with MotoGP, AMA & WSB.

Sent via Tapatalk

Because this is America, and F1's stock just dropped a whole lot with their whirly bird exhaust note.

Seriously, have you listened to the 2014 F1 cars? They sound like that annoying buzzing toy everyone had at the South African olympics.

Mjolnir
03-16-14, 21:24
The ass clowns in charge of F1 are inept.

No issue with the Powerplant but I do have an issue demanding the V-angle, bore and stroke, etc.

I could do without KERS.

I despise the fuel rate usage limitation. Only a dictatorial group of idiots would come up with that then punish a team if FIA's mandated flow meter has issues.

MotoGP will at least be interesting with Ducati pulling strings to be competitive with Honda and Yamaha. So on paper we have three manufacturers and six riders capable of pole position and winning.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

austinN4
03-16-14, 21:29
Seriously, have you listened to the 2014 F1 cars? They sound like that annoying buzzing toy everyone had at the South African olympics.
Exactly the point of my OP.

Ryno12
03-16-14, 21:46
Because this is America, and F1's stock just dropped a whole lot with their whirly bird exhaust note.

But the OP has nothing to do with NAPCAR...

As far as exhaust notes go, I like listening to the tractor pulls at the county fair too, doesn't mean that it's a high quality motorsport.

Ever hear the exhaust note the ALMS diesel Audi R10 has? Me neither. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Alex V
03-17-14, 08:05
I am half a step away from a wacked out Tifoso... I paint my face at the race, wear all read, I cried when Kimi won the WDC in '07. I've been watching since 1999

I was at Indy in '05 and even though only 6 cars races, I still got to see and hear those awesome V10's. In '06 and '07 at Indy I got to see Michael win with a full field, got to hear the V8's at 20,000+RPM and got to see JPM crash his way out of F! (Good Riddance!, apparently he took his love of crashing to NASCAR and into a Jet Dryer) In 2012 in Austin I saw the V8's again, not in lowed down force cars, and spec rubber. All this was still palatable to me. The changes made in the years I have attended races and watched on TV have tested my elegance to the sport, but I have persevered with it.

These new changes piss me off. The cars sound like complete crap! I was about to drop $900 on tickets for my wife and me to the Canadian Grand Prix, as soon as I heard the cars during the tests in Bahrain I changed my mind. Might as well watch at home, on mute. This is not F1 anymore, they sound like lawnmowers. How do you have something that is supposed to be the pinocle of motor racing with fuel flow restrictions and tires as hard as stone. This is just ridiculous. I DVR'ed the race and ended up fast forwarding through half of it.

Don't get me wrong, seeing Bieber and Lewis DNF did bring me joy, but the boredom was just undeniable.

I miss the old days. Hell, I would take that Finger Boy winning over this crap... well, maybe not but still!

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/2012%20United%20States%20Grand%20Prix/DSC_74842.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/2012%20United%20States%20Grand%20Prix/DSC_74842.jpg.html)

thopkins22
03-17-14, 10:34
http://youtu.be/srq14vtm-NE
Nothing like the V10's. Blown diffusers sound funny.

Senna's lap around Monaco with an old school v10. http://youtu.be/GTJZTc1U1tM

TAZ
03-17-14, 11:33
I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to quit F1, but agree the changes were rather dramatic. IMO they over did it in one year. They should have implemented the changes over maybe 2 seasons. Make turbos this year and add the upgraded KERS next year.

I don't have a problem with adding technical challenges to the regs that can be filtered back into production cars. The restrictions on fuel capacity to force increased efficiency in the motors is not a bad thing. The addition of a more robust KERS system is also a good thing. Smaller engines with turbochargers also not a bad thing. All 3 at the same time...questionable as it can negatively impact the sport if cars crap out all the time.

Aside from the sound, which does suck, I didn't think the race was bad considering that this was the first time in realistic conditions for cars and drivers. 2 seconds slower than last years average isn't bad considering it's the first race with ALL new parameters. I would guess as the cars and drivers mature the racing will be back to normal. Aside from the sound that is.

austinN4
03-17-14, 11:57
I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to quit F1, but agree the changes were rather dramatic. IMO they over did it in one year. They should have implemented the changes over maybe 2 seasons. Make turbos this year and add the upgraded KERS next year.

I don't have a problem with adding technical challenges to the regs that can be filtered back into production cars. The restrictions on fuel capacity to force increased efficiency in the motors is not a bad thing. The addition of a more robust KERS system is also a good thing. Smaller engines with turbochargers also not a bad thing. All 3 at the same time...questionable as it can negatively impact the sport if cars crap out all the time.

Aside from the sound, which does suck, I didn't think the race was bad considering that this was the first time in realistic conditions for cars and drivers. 2 seconds slower than last years average isn't bad considering it's the first race with ALL new parameters. I would guess as the cars and drivers mature the racing will be back to normal. Aside from the sound that is.
I admit that I agree with this, but the Australian race was the first time I saw the changes and heard the cars. I was shocked, to say the least. I am sure I will get used to it.

My solution while watching this year's races, for the time being, is to the mute the sound of the actual race and play the sound thehopkins22 posted instead. (just kidding, but I really do miss the sound)

ForTehNguyen
03-17-14, 16:56
will miss the old ferocious sounding F1 cars and Senna of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO2q8FzcnM

ForTehNguyen
03-17-14, 17:55
getting more bored of F1 each year, its turning into Formula Prius

thopkins22
03-17-14, 20:39
will miss the old ferocious sounding F1 cars and Senna of course.

Senna's 1989 car made roughly the same HP as his previous years car(a 1.5L Turbo V6,) which made a hell of a lot less than the same engine in it's 1987 format which was pushing 1000 HP...and in '86 when there were no limits on boost qualifying setups could easily be in the 1200 range at 5.5bar. The engines haven't even been close since then until the middle of the last decade.

The small engines are totally fine...but they need to up the number of engines a team can use in a season, dump the fuel flow restrictions, dump the rev limits, and allow them to use all the boost they damn well please. The KERS actually makes sense as it can encourage passing in a sport that's still somewhat dominated by good qualifying laps...it also is pretty cool that it can be used to spool up the turbo before the exhaust gets a chance to take over.

http://www.allf1.info/engines/honda.php

Belmont31R
03-17-14, 22:40
http://youtu.be/jS4Dh_EAfJI

Urabus23
03-18-14, 02:48
I like the new technology in F1. I wish my WRX had that MGU-H to keep the turbo spooled. What I have a problem with is F1 trying to promote itself as being green. I doubt some hippie is going to start watching racing just because the new F1 gives a crap about polar bears. The jury is still out on the quality of racing because of the track layout in Albert Park. The front noses of the cars is a whole different story though...

I'll still give the new F1 a chance though, at least it wasn't joke like the first two rounds of IMSA/TUSC.

Eurodriver
03-21-14, 08:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHSUp7msCIE

Insanity.

Ryno12
03-21-14, 08:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHSUp7msCIE

Insanity.

That's ****ing awesome!

I didn't see them take on any fuel but I could've easily missed it.

Sent via Tapatalk

austinN4
03-21-14, 10:44
I didn't see them take on any fuel but I could've easily missed it.
F1 cars don't refuel anymore. The typical F1 pit stop by the top teams is around 3 to 3.5 seconds. But it is the total into and out of the pits that matters the most, and there are speed limits with penalties in the pit lane.

Ryno12
03-21-14, 10:58
F1 cars don't refuel anymore.
Now you see how much I'm able to watch it. :D

I usually only catch the highlights.

Sent via Tapatalk

No.6
03-21-14, 12:01
http://youtu.be/jS4Dh_EAfJI

bello!

Alex V
03-21-14, 13:07
F1 cars don't refuel anymore. The typical F1 pit stop by the top teams is around 3 to 3.5 seconds. But it is the total into and out of the pits that matters the most, and there are speed limits with penalties in the pit lane.

Ferrari, RBR and McLaren have been able to do it in well under 3sec. In Australia last week Kimi was stationary for 2.2 seconds at his second stop.

The teams would be able to be sub 2 seconds but the air pressure in the wheel nut guns is regulated. If they upped the pressure they would be under 2 seconds stationary.

_Stormin_
03-21-14, 13:52
The sub-2sec pit stops have been done in practices when they've upped the pressure. It's freaking insane to think that they can swap tires in less time than it takes to enter the password on my phone.

austinN4
03-21-14, 14:42
http://www.businessinsider.com/video-f1-driver-mark-webber-set-a-new-record-with-19-second-pit-stop-2013-11

But not every team is capable of doing that. The average stop is 3 to 3.5 seconds.

TehLlama
03-23-14, 23:54
The racing has gotten slightly better to watch in crap conditions (see Valterri Bottas pointing the Martini Willians every which way but straight and still passing the most cars at the last GP), but the way they're going about imposing the restrictions are dumb - and they absolutely should have offered a low-cost knockoff option with a slight power disadvantage like they did the last time the engine formula changed (and Toro Rosso was running air restricted V-10s in order to actually control cost measures, while retaining something resembling parity in racing).

I really just feel terrible for Caterham, Renault/Lotus, Marussia, and Sauber, since they seem like they've just gotten shat on with power units now running triple the cost, having to spend to develop new transmissions, and only getting publicity when the turbo catches fire or they otherwise mysteriously retire from practice/qualy sessions or the race proper.

I can't wait for RBR/Vettel to get this format sorted, since this type of racing suits his style the best out of the current drivers [FWIW, I was a fan of Jimmie Johnson from his rookie year, and a Vette fan since his first Scuderia Toro Rosso run], and as good as the Mercedes with Rosberg will be, and as impressive as Valtteri is going to be in the Williams (with a competent teammate in Massa).

I just can't wrap my head around why racing organizers are so far up their own ass with the idea that they can create parity in racing by being incredibly restrictive about every single detail they think they can impose. F1 since 1995 has been a completely lopsided affair where the best engineered car will win provided the driver doesn't collect a back marker while lapping 2/3 of the field, and it's not for a lack of scrutineering - just go back to a much simpler formula (e.g. you get 1599cc displacement; no more than 200lb of battery mass; boost is limited to 5 bar; and KEEP the 100L fuel limit (but let the teams decide how they intend to use it)).

Talon167
03-24-14, 07:18
I am half a step away from a wacked out Tifoso... I paint my face at the race, wear all read, I cried when Kimi won the WDC in '07. I've been watching since 1999

I was at Indy in '05 and even though only 6 cars races, I still got to see and hear those awesome V10's. In '06 and '07 at Indy I got to see Michael win with a full field, got to hear the V8's at 20,000+RPM and got to see JPM crash his way out of F! (Good Riddance!, apparently he took his love of crashing to NASCAR and into a Jet Dryer) In 2012 in Austin I saw the V8's again, not in lowed down force cars, and spec rubber. All this was still palatable to me. The changes made in the years I have attended races and watched on TV have tested my elegance to the sport, but I have persevered with it.

I was at that race, too! The Ferraris, Jordans, and Minardis had a great time racing each other. :confused: At least I got to hear the V10s and see Shumi in action.

I was also at Austin last year, so I got to hear the V8s as well. I am a big Kimi fan, and have been to two F1 races. Both times he was in F1 and neither time he drove. Son of a *****!

Anyway, I am not a huge fan of these new regulations. The only silver lining is seeing Vettel and RB struggle. Little winey bitches they are. However, the racing is not as exciting. Trade RBR for Merc as they will dominate. Ros won by 25 seconds. Ferrari is a mid-pack team and will be racing SFI and STR for places unless they get their shit together. McLaren and Williams are going to be the only two teams to pressure Merc right now.

Ugh. I really hope these teams – less RBR – get everything worked out. Lotus was one of the best teams on the grid the latter half of last year, now they can’t even finish a race. Barely half the cars even finished the Aussie GP… how can they race each other if they’re all breaking? I think they’ll figure it out, but not soon enough. I am hoping F1 realizes their mistakes and gets rid of these engines asap. I think they’ll be around for five years, then, hopefully, go back to the V10s!

ETA - RBR is already crying about the new rules and even saying they may pull out of the sport.
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/9229592/-Red-Bull-Commitment-Has-Its-Limits-

They won't. We know it and they know it. Either way, I love it.

austinN4
03-28-14, 08:10
For those interested, we have another chance to see and hear the new-rules F1 cars this weekend at Malayasia's Sepang International Circuit.

The time zone difference, however, translates poorly here in the US with Saturday qualifying and Sunday race times both starting at 4am eastern time broadcast live on NBC Sports HD.

Hopefully they will do reruns later each day, but their schedule page only lists the live times, so you might want to set your DVR, if you have one:
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/racing/schedule.asp?series=FORM1

austinN4
03-28-14, 08:13
ETA - RBR is already crying about the new rules and even saying they may pull out of the sport.
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/9229592/-Red-Bull-Commitment-Has-Its-Limits-

"We have had it all but on these things from our perspective there is a clear limit to what we can accept."

The normally private Mateschitz added that he is somewhat frustrated by the FIA's decision to take the sport into a greener, quieter era with the focus on more efficient V6 engines.

"Formula One should be again what it always has been: the ultimate discipline," the 69-year-old added.

"It is not there to set new records in fuel consumption, or so you can talk at a whisper during a race and the greatest thrill is the squealing of the tyres.

"I consider it equally absurd that we are going a second slower than last year and that the junior series GP2 is almost as fast as formula one with a fraction of the budget."

Alex V
03-28-14, 09:58
I was at that race, too! The Ferraris, Jordans, and Minardis had a great time racing each other. :confused: At least I got to hear the V10s and see Shumi in action.

I was also at Austin last year, so I got to hear the V8s as well. I am a big Kimi fan, and have been to two F1 races. Both times he was in F1 and neither time he drove. Son of a *****!

I am a huge Kimi fan as well. Ferrari first and Always, then Kimi. I took a killer photo of him at Indy in '07. Through a crazy coincidence my mother tells me than one of her business associate's husband is supposedly an Engineer with Ferrari F1 and could get me something signed by Kimi. I thought it was BS, but I printed the photo out in 12x18 and sent it to my mom's "associate", it was under $30 so who cares. Totally forgot about it and thought it was all BS even more. Out of nowhere , a month or two later, I get a package with two baseball caps in it, a Ferrari Kimi Raikkonen hat (White with Finish flag) and a Ferrari Felipe Massa hat (Yellow with Brazilian flag). No signatures... I thought it was rather odd. A few months later I get the packaging I sent out back, all banged up, with European and American post marks. Open it up... sure as shit... the photo I took, signed by Kimi!!!!! "Alex, Thanks for being a fan, nice photo, you're a pro - Kimi Raikkonen" and his "KR" scribble. I nearly shat my pants!

Now, for all I know, this could be all faked, but that's an awful lot of trouble to go through to **** with someone you don't even know. And the hats retail for like $30 each, so why send $60 to someone just to **** with them. I just take it on faith that it's real lol.

It's framed in my office.

TriviaMonster
03-28-14, 11:09
That's awesome Alex V!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Talon167
03-28-14, 18:12
I am a huge Kimi fan as well. Ferrari first and Always, then Kimi. I took a killer photo of him at Indy in '07. Through a crazy coincidence my mother tells me than one of her business associate's husband is supposedly an Engineer with Ferrari F1 and could get me something signed by Kimi. I thought it was BS, but I printed the photo out in 12x18 and sent it to my mom's "associate", it was under $30 so who cares. Totally forgot about it and thought it was all BS even more. Out of nowhere , a month or two later, I get a package with two baseball caps in it, a Ferrari Kimi Raikkonen hat (White with Finish flag) and a Ferrari Felipe Massa hat (Yellow with Brazilian flag). No signatures... I thought it was rather odd. A few months later I get the packaging I sent out back, all banged up, with European and American post marks. Open it up... sure as shit... the photo I took, signed by Kimi!!!!! "Alex, Thanks for being a fan, nice photo, you're a pro - Kimi Raikkonen" and his "KR" scribble. I nearly shat my pants!

Now, for all I know, this could be all faked, but that's an awful lot of trouble to go through to **** with someone you don't even know. And the hats retail for like $30 each, so why send $60 to someone just to **** with them. I just take it on faith that it's real lol.

It's framed in my office.

1) I hate you

2) I would definitely think it's him if they went through all of that trouble. I am sure you can compare it to examples online.

3) Here are a couple of pictures I took at Austin last year. I really like Grosjean. Was a Lotus fan last two years (because of Kimi) and after a difficult rookie year, Grosjean was the best driver of the second half of last season, IMO. Aside from Vettel, I guess. Anyway, to see him get P2 was pretty cool.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/F1_GP_2013/PB157032_RAWb_zps9562f787.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/F1_GP_2013/PB157076b_zps6d97cb66.jpg

4) I still hate you. :dirol:

TehLlama
03-28-14, 21:30
Gorgeous pics - I'm still kicking myself for not dragging my family over there, especially since the grass at the end of the esses was still cheap to see - oh well, I'm more resolved to go and see it this year.

Alex V
03-28-14, 22:19
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'll post picks from 07 tomorrow. I don't have them online anymore.

Here is Kimi from 2012, we were sitting at the exit of T11

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/2012%20United%20States%20Grand%20Prix/DSC_7969.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/2012%20United%20States%20Grand%20Prix/DSC_7969.jpg.html)

Alex V
03-28-14, 22:22
Here is Checo locking it up and getting pissed off at a back marker. This was FP3 I think.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/2012%20United%20States%20Grand%20Prix/DSC_8049.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/2012%20United%20States%20Grand%20Prix/DSC_8049.jpg.html)

Belmont31R
03-29-14, 02:43
RBR & Vettel are hardly whiny bitches. Every Vettel interview I have seen he has been very humbling and not complaining about anything.

Part of F1 is the cars. Same as any series. Racing is part car and part human. Lower budget teams almost always can't compete with high budget teams. But Vettel is the new Schumi. History being made every race he is in.

austinN4
03-29-14, 07:47
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/3/15627.html

Qualifying was very messy in the rain with the top 10 being:

1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:59.431
2 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:59.486
3 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 2:00.050
4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 2:00.175
5 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-Renault 2:00.541
6 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 2:01.218
7 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 2:01.712
8 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 2:02.213
9 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Renault 2:03.078
10 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 2:04.053

TehLlama
03-29-14, 13:12
RBR & Vettel are hardly whiny bitches. Every Vettel interview I have seen he has been very humbling and not complaining about anything.

Part of F1 is the cars. Same as any series. Racing is part car and part human. Lower budget teams almost always can't compete with high budget teams. But Vettel is the new Schumi. History being made every race he is in.

I really can't help but agree with you - anybody convinced he's not one of the best drivers in the world has to conveniently forget Abu Dhabi 2012, Interlagos 2012, or honestly even Suzuka 2013. Race trim/race pace he is so quick without using up hardware, it just doesn't look super exciting because he knows how not to overdrive the car; and the car is consistently one of the best because he's been known for providing outstanding and precise feedback to the engineers, and in an equipment sport like F1 this is as much of the driving role as anything else - if you can beat the rest of the field as a driver on Friday, show it on Saturday, and be flawless on Sunday, I can't fault that; though this is why the FIA is trying to find ways to make for extra strategy plays, just so it isn't consistently a case of breaking DRS range and disappearing into the sunset.

Eurodriver
03-30-14, 13:25
Posting this from the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg right now.

The new cars suck. I'm not even remotely interested in their exhaust note. Let's hope the race is better.

Talon167
03-30-14, 13:39
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'll post picks from 07 tomorrow. I don't have them online anymore.

Here is Kimi from 2012, we were sitting at the exit of T11

[/URL]

We were at the entrance of T11. We sneaked into T12 during one of the practice sessions. Those were decent seats, but I really liked where we were sitting. You cold see them coming out of the esses and basically all the way down the straight. Plus, you're right behind the cars as they downshift for T11.

A couple more shots from the weekend:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/F1_GP_2013/PB157149_zps6ac5033c.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/F1_GP_2013/PB157116_zpsb847cc95.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/F1_GP_2013/PB157140_zps22435b9d.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/F1_GP_2013/PB167175_zps9ff7bac3.jpg

Eurodriver
03-30-14, 14:29
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/GP-Hinch-girls-033014_zps2d161d27.jpg

I like girls as much as the next guy, but the first thing I notice in that picture is Dan Wheldon's name. That monument is on Dan Wheldon Way, as well.

Ryno12
05-02-14, 10:09
My dad just sent me this link & watching it made me think of this thread.

Funny how far we've come.

http://www.wimp.com/pitcomparison/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex V
05-02-14, 10:40
Posting this from the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg right now.

The new cars suck. I'm not even remotely interested in their exhaust note. Let's hope the race is better.

That's not F1 sir... That's IndyCar. Open wheel, yes, but not Formula1.

Or are you discussing F1 while watching Indy?

TehLlama
05-02-14, 12:07
That's not F1 sir... That's IndyCar. Open wheel, yes, but not Formula1.

Or are you discussing F1 while watching Indy?

Mildly unrelated, but I'm wondering if Indycar can get back to be even a possible feeder series for F1 - the ovals don't help, but the only crossover prospect in recent memory since Sebastien Bordais is going to be Simona di Silvestro, and it's hard to escape the observation that her size is going to help her out a ton in the same way Nico Hulkenberg despite being the best wheelman out there is unlikely to ever be in a championship winning car.

Alex V
05-02-14, 16:01
Mildly unrelated, but I'm wondering if Indycar can get back to be even a possible feeder series for F1 - the ovals don't help, but the only crossover prospect in recent memory since Sebastien Bordais is going to be Simona di Silvestro, and it's hard to escape the observation that her size is going to help her out a ton in the same way Nico Hulkenberg despite being the best wheelman out there is unlikely to ever be in a championship winning car.

Bordais was Champ Car not IndyCar, similar, but not the same.

He also had a terrible time in STR. In 2008 he was outclassed by SV, no surprise. In 2009 he was owned by Buemi, who was a Rookie! He may have been good in CART, but he sucked in F1.

F1 looks to the European and Asian open wheel series for young talent, that or a lot of $ to be a pay driver as opposed to paid driver like Pastor Mandenato. For some reason there does not seem to be the open wheel culture in the US there is in Europe. Scott Speed came from a family well known for Karting and he still sucked in F1.

Even with the potential for Stuart-Hass racing being included in the 2015 or 2016 F1 season, they would be smart to get a European driver with F1 experience instead of a circle track guy from the US. Especially if they want to test designs and develop their own Chassis for later years.

Alex V
05-02-14, 16:04
JPM is another good example as well. Indy 500 winner, and even though he won 7 times in F1 he drove as if he was in a demolition derby. He crashed into Kimi, his teammate, at the start of the 2006 US GP right in from of where I was sitting. Turn 1. TOok both McLarens out. THat was the end of him in F1. The guy crashed into a Jet-Dryer!!!! Need I say more?

Indy can keep their drivers. F1 does not need them.

TehLlama
05-02-14, 23:25
Bordais was Champ Car not IndyCar, similar, but not the same.

That was a point in time where IndyCar were literally taking dated, Americanized Formula cars and turning left on banked circuits even more exclusively than NASCAR, the only reason Champ car can be considered anything other than the actual Indy Car of the time was the USAC affiliation and whether or not they raced at on particularly boring 2.5mi track. The fact that he was unable to pull off a Jacques Villeneuve isn't necessarily surprising, but he only ever excelled at managing races from the front stateside, and didn't have the sort of monetary backing others brought to the table.

I think Haas (Smoke isn't likely to be part of this one) would still do well to pick up either Alexander Rossi or Conor Daly as one of the drivers; probably Rossi, but I'd even look outside the box there and see if they can poach another team's current or former third driver (I'm thinking Davide Valsecchi, Pedro De la Rosa or Daniil Juncadella) over trying to find experience (or cash) in the form of Kobayashi or Kovalainen, and since they aren't starting off with tons of spares avoid the Maldonado trap.
I think Valsecchi/Rossi would be a pretty solid lineup they could land for cheap.

If Simona is fast and provides good engineering feedback, that's a real prospect. I actually hope that works out well, outside of NHRA it's rare to see talented women drivers actually get drives deserving of their talent (Sarah Fisher can wheel anything on four wheels, but thanks to the Danica experiment the next generation of ladies that skilled are going to have a rough go of funding, in a sport driven by cash).

Alex V
05-02-14, 23:57
Teh,

Agree with your assessment 100%.

My only point would be the someone like Rossi or Daley would not be able to give the feedback required to develop the car. De La Rosa would be an awesome get as he has more testing experience that arguably anyone else on the F1 grid, but he won't bring money. His rate may be low, but it may be more than Hass has to spend in the first couple of years. I don't see them being in the top 10 teams in order to split the proceeds.

Kobash likes to crash cars as well. Not as bad as Pastor, but he is not too far off. Must be the Takuma Sato school of driving.

I hope Hass takes off as well. It was a disappointment when USGP never made it to the grid.

Belmont31R
05-03-14, 01:31
The only reason Danica is behind a wheel is because she's mildly cute and is good in front of a camera. Racing is a business and I don't doubt her sponsors love her. She gets as much attention without ever doing anything as the guys getting their cars on camera.

These 2014 F1 cars are rather disappointing to change the subject. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of race design and FIA is cutting their balls off just because.

TehLlama
05-03-14, 13:07
The only reason Danica is behind a wheel is because she's mildly cute and is good in front of a camera. Racing is a business and I don't doubt her sponsors love her. She gets as much attention without ever doing anything as the guys getting their cars on camera.

These 2014 F1 cars are rather disappointing to change the subject. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of race design and FIA is cutting their balls off just because.

I totally agree here - it should have been simple enough to just specify and air restrictor (before turbo/supercharger), and fuel flows and basically say "Figure it out" from there; my biggest complaint about Indycar now is that's it's basically a spec series with minor differences in powerplants. I think where the FIA dropped the ball here was forcing the back marker teams to shovel out millions in new powertrains for basically negative gains in advertising times (since Caterham's shining accomplishment so far is Kamui passing Vettel at a huge tire mismatch), they needed to sort out something like a restrictor and KERS de-restricted version of last year's formula so that the aspirated V8 had access to less air and almost equivalent power, and the KERS set to the same maximum power draw per lap, so that those teams could at least be confident of running at the end of the race, instead of having to pack and unpack in exotic locales for what amount to test sessions where the other top teams happen to be competing for points.

Renault is still really far afield, and the idea of the engine specification being fixed from here to me seems asinine - not so much because RBR can't be on terms with where their chassis is aero wise, but that Lotus and Caterham are dealing with marginally drivable cars in the first place and they're having to contend with what it easily the worst powertrain in F1 to boot.

On the Danica side, it's frustrating because there are so many more talented drivers who can actually get positive results, and comparably capable of doing other related advertizing tasks; at least some like Erica Enders are putting up wins based exclusively on outdriving other people.